Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

FML

I was ONE hour late paying my CC bill today (I have always paid it off in full and on time every month) and because it was after 5pm E.S.T., I will get charged a $39 late fee come Monday. It's totally my own damn fault for not realizing the time, but what can ya do. I am so mad at myself because I hate the idea giving a CC company my money, which is why I pay my bill off each month (to avoid the interest.)

Anything have you saying "FML" today?

Re: FML

• Options
    If you have a good payment record you can try calling them and asking them to waive the fee.  FI did that once when we were on vacation and forgot to pay before we left.  We were 2 days late, but always paid on time, so they credited back the late charge for us.  Can't hurt to ask.
  • Options
    A lot of times if you have a good history with the company, they will waive the fee the first time. It's worth calling and asking at least. That sucks.

I am making everyone in our families coasters (idea shamelessly stolen from saltypeanut but with pictures over the patterned paper) and forgot I needed the cork for the back still. Christmas with BF's family is tomorrow, and my car won't start to go to the store. And he won't be home until at least midnight.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I was thinking of calling once I see the late fee posted on Monday. I have always paid on time and have been with them for 2 years, so I am hoping they can waive it (or at least reduce it.) I have to call them anyway to change my name on my card, so I may as well throw that in there!

Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    Ama - I really, really hate cars. Really. I hate that they can just up and break on you. :( Is it a project that you can throw together in the morning if you have 99% of it done by then and just need to add the cork?
  • Options
    Yeah it's all done, so I will just have to glue on the cork in the morning, and hope it dries in time. When BF gets home I might go to Walmart and see if they have what I need, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

And I still have some shopping to finish up for my family before our Christmas on Monday, and BF will be working every day until then. (I can't really just take him to work because then I would have to go pick him up at midnight or later, with a 2 year old that's just not gonna happen).

• Options
    Ugh. You are a busy lady, Ama! Is there anything you can substitute for the cork if you can't find it in time?

I have yet to do ALL of my Christmas shopping before the 25th. :-\ I always save it til last minute.
  • Options

I used to be a major procrastinator for Christmas shopping. But now we have so many more people to buy for, and we always have our family gift giving before Christmas, so I have to be done so early! Plus I'm cheap and like to shop around for everything on sale. Do you have a lot of people to shop for?

Thank you for suggesting substituting something! I want back and read the instructions I have and it said felt will work too, which I definitely can get at Walmart (the only place that will be open) tonight when BF gets home. And I think that will be cheaper than cork too.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fml-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ee3486ce-cbc5-41e1-9a4f-4af6639610b4Post:4e160566-6040-495e-b571-e33cf63ad943">Re: FML</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ugh. You are a busy lady, Ama! Is there anything you can substitute for the cork if you can't find it in time? I have yet to do ALL of my Christmas shopping before the 25th. :-\ I always save it til last minute.
    Posted by ggmae[/QUOTE]

Me too.  I have no idea what to get people.  All anybody tells me is GCs.  I hate doing that.  Ugh.  I prefer real presents.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    If you paid it off in full, you usually have a few day grace period, so they might not charge you the fee.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fml-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ee3486ce-cbc5-41e1-9a4f-4af6639610b4Post:28516bb2-2050-47af-bb42-1aa9cd9af4ff">Re: FML</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FML : Me too.  I have no idea what to get people.  All anybody tells me is GCs.  I hate doing that.  Ugh.  I prefer real presents.
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

We started drawing names for the adults in my family a few years ago when everyone started having kids. I have had my mom every frickin year and she is the hardest to shop for. And all the ideas on her lists where things like clothes or jewelry, or a haircut, that I just have to get her gift cards for. I have 2 days and still have come up with nothing so I think it will have to be a gift card this year.

• Options
    Ama - We are doing small gifts this year. I am buying for my 2 best friends, and then we have my parents, 2 brothers, DH's dad and his family, and his mom, sister, and grandmothers. Oh, and I have tried to push the Secret Santa on the adults in my family for 3 years now, but my mom says there is no way she can just buy for 1 child - so she always ruins it!

Kristin - Ah, I had no idea. I hope that applies to me! That'd be nice.

Squirrly - I drive my mom nuts. For the past several years, my answer is always "a sweater" when she asks me what I want. This year I told her a specific Wii games, and 2 specific DVDs so she's happy. I heard that GCs aren't really the way to go this year, because of the economy. You never know when a company is going to tank and take all of the GCs with it.
  • Options
    GCs are literally all I've heard from everybody.  I ordered a boxed set of tv shows for my sister, but I've got no other ideas but GCs.  SO frustrating.  Fortunately, none of them are from companies that are shaky enough to worry about. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    GC Ideas - Starbucks, favorite restaurants/stores, iTunes, Best Buy?
  • Options

I hadn't thought about the GC thing. I am getting my sister a GC to a salon, but I know she wants to get her hair cut and dyed and will probably go right away so it shouldn't be a problem.

GG-Secret Santas make our lives so much easier! It only takes out 4 presents really but it's getting so hard to think of good ideas for the adults that 2 is so much better than 6.

On BF's side though we have been pushing for the secret santa idea, and his sister and step sister wanted to this year too, but his mom said she would just buy for everyone anyway. So we weren't going to do it, but out of the blue we got an email from his sis saying who we had and an amount to spend. So it is only saving us one present, and the spending amount to do those 2 gifts for the names we "drew" is higher than our budget was for all three.

• Options
    LLBean for mom, sporting goods for dad, books for my grandmother, etc.  They're specific with where, I just really hate giving GCs.  I love getting somebody something they'll really love and suprising them with it Christmas morning.  But, they never mention things they want.  So, I guess GCs and the cookbook & photoalbum I made are it this year.  Ugh. 

Anyhow, on the CC late fee, I agree - just ask.  Most companies are just happy to get paid at all these days. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    That last part didn't really make sense. His sister decided we would still draw names, but without his mom and stepdad, so it was only 5 of us. So we got two names instead of buying for all three of them, and are still buying for his mom and stepdad too.

• Options
    Squirrly-Can you do something small and then a gift card? Or a cute way of packaging a gift card? Last year I had one of my sisters who really wanted clothes. I bought a cute clutch and then a gift card to her favorite store in it.

• Options
    Ama - Well, that's frustrating! Would have been nice if she had consulted you guys first about the price limit.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fml-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ee3486ce-cbc5-41e1-9a4f-4af6639610b4Post:ce4c4a9d-6c77-49a4-b63d-83e49230fd59">Re: FML</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ama - Well, that's frustrating! Would have been nice if she had consulted you guys first about the price limit.
    Posted by ggmae[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no kidding.  That's not cool at all.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    Yeah that's pretty much how things work with her. If it had been a huge difference in money we would have said something, but sometimes it just isn't worth it ya know? It's been a little rough lately with some other family issues, and we just decided to let this one go.

• Options
    I understand.  Just don't let too many things go.  I have done that for a long time with my sis, and it resulted in a huge blowout recently.  I feel better now, but I could have avoided it by pushing back more often. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    Yeah BF has that problem with his sister and his mom, whereas I have the opposite problem where I will say something about every little thing. So I think we do a decent job of evening each other out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards