North Carolina
Options

For those who know Flowers :-)

Ok, so one of my last things is flowers. I am CLUELESS on what is a good price. I called this guy that works with my company and he quoted me between 350 and 400. This includes mine, 4 girls, mothers, one groom, and 6 guys. Please note that my flowers and different. I told him what I don't like, roses, carnations, pink or white, and let him have control from there. I just love bright happy flowers. Does anyone have any other recs is this price is crazy? THANKS!!!!!

Re: For those who know Flowers :-)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    since the quote is very cheap in relative terms and you gave them vague instructions then i would inquire about the types of flowers in the bid. it could be daisys for all we no and not calla lillys
  • Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't done a lot of research on flowers yet so I can't be sure. I think it sounds reasonable from what I have seen though. You can easily spend around $200 for just the bride's bouquet.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, we spoke about the types of flowers. I sent him a list of flowers that are in bloom in Jan. They are pretty pricey. I think he is hooking it up b/c he has worked with me forever. It's Grace's Florist in Charlotte. They have been there for over 30 years. I thought it sounds pretty good?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Umm yes, that is nuts--there is no way they are all pricey flowers and you are getting all that for that, without it being a favor. In which case I don't think you would even wonder if it were a good deal. Why are January flowers pricey? Are you wanting flowers that are not in season here in the country--otherwise, even in winter, the flowers that are in season, should not be expensive at all, particularly if you do not want roses. So if you are certain on what flowers are being used, the size and style of the items, and you are happy with what has been discussed then I would say you are very very lucky to be making out with all that at that price. Often flowers are in the many thousands, and most bridal bouquets are at least 200. So... good job. Honestly though, if you don't care, don't want roses, and just like bright happy flowers I would think your florist could go with field type flowers (which are very very inexpensive) and if you wanted smaller bouquets by chance with a good bit of "happy" greenery then perhaps it could be less. Oh and last thought, even if you are happy with the price, I would get an itemized quote. That way you can see if he is just coming up with a nice happy number he thinks will get the job done of if it truly is towards the low end for each item as what is possible. Plus that way you can say, "I see you think my bouquet will be 160... I only want to spend 100 on it, so whatever it takes to knock it down to that, go for it." I did that with church arrangements once I saw the break down.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    nono, I don't think they are all pricey, I just sent him a list of flowers that will def. be in bloom in Jan. I know I am having stargazer lillies, which I like, but I would like a mix. Good idea on the wild type flowers. He is sending me a break down in a couple of days. I am pretty laid back, so as long as they are bright and not roses or carnations, I am good to go. :-) Thanks for your advice kristy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    no way...star grazers are 7 a peice at fresh market. get it in writing suga unless your a vendor trying to make fools of us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dude, I am not a vendor..... I don't even edit my posts I am so busy. :-) And I am not having the whole thing with those. Once again, I have closely worked with him for a long time. It is pretty much cost.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cathy, I'm sure your florist friend will be able to detail which flowers, etc.  You should ask for a breakdown like Kristy recommended, in case you do want to spend less on your bouquet, for example.  I haven't started researching flowers yet, but the price sounds great to me!
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If he is a friend and is doing you a favor that's awesome but like eveyone is say, I would double check the type of flowers. I'm having a small wedding but our flowers are costing us nearly a thousand. bridal ($200) and matron of honor ($150) bouquets, groom, best man, 2 dads, 2 moms and 4 centerpieces. So if the price is right, the quality is good and he is doing you a favor then I would go for it. I would love the extra money to spend!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that is great! It really just depends on the area and type of flowers. For my bridal bouquet, 4 maids, 2 moms, a grandma, plus 2 more corsages bouts for 9, 2 grapevine wreaths and a spray for the arbor=$600.00. I am having hydrangeas and roses which can be expensive. Like everyone has said I would just make sure he knows to use your fav flower...I think you said stargazer lilies.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have the final numbers yet but I think our flowers were under $1000. Here's the breakdown from what I remember - hope this helps!Bride Bouq was $100 (callies, gerberas, hot pink, light pink, white roses, and spray roses) BMBouqs $16 each (6 BMs - these were DIY gerbera daiseys)2 church arrangements @ 120 each GM Bouq $10 each (9 total)Corsages $20 each (4 total)Centerpieces $20 each (3 sprays of submerged hot pink orchids in 18" vases)Cake flowers $130 (3 tiers of hot pink roses)
    image Ellie and Morgan
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks a million everyone!!! The break downs help ALOT!!!
  • Options
    flowerloverflowerlover member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am an event florist here in Charlotte and I just wanted to give you my input...this quote does sound very low to me also. I have worked at all the best shops here and since I work out of my home, but do the same high-end quality work, I charge a lot less than most. For the items listed above I would charge (depending on size and flowers desired) $125-$175 for bride, $55-85 for maids, $15 for corsage, $8/ea. bout. If I were you I wouldn't leave anything to chance when it comes to your wedding. Those photos last a lifetime and you can't ever go back and take out flowers that you weren't happy with. 10 years down the road, you'd hate to kick yourself over trying to save a couple hundred dollars! Give him pictures, find out what flowers for the most part he'll incorporate, and get an idea of size and shape he is making. Hope this helps! If you're not happy with what you here from him, you can have a back-up plan...call me!! I am available in January so far and I can email you pics of some awesome work. I have worked at Elizabeth House, Crawford & Company, The Place for Flowers, Creative Events! My name is Leslie...Events in Bloom 704.576.6969
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards