Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Spray tan

Who has had one? Did you do the kind where they tan you or where you go in a booth? What were your experiences?
I typically go tanning (I know...) right before a beach vacation or when I get so pale I feel sickly (2 times a year) but I cant seem to mantain any color for some reason. I was thinking maybe a spray tan would do it for me.

Re: Spray tan

• Options
    I've never done it, but I've heard good things about it.
  • Options
    I've done both Mystic and custom airbrush.  Airbrush is more expensive but worth it IMO.  Mystic has been hit or miss for me.  How long is the vacay though?  The spray tans I've had have only been good for 5 days or so.
  • Options
    No vacation this time, I'm just sick of looking at my zombie eyes and dead legs.
    5 days is not long :(
  • Options
    Ugh, I went to one and hated it. I couldnt breathe and the door stuck and I was freaking out. It was expensive and looked like crap. It was all runny and crap. But I've heard good things from other people, maybe I was doing it wrong...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've done the custom airbrush where an actual person tans you a couple times. I really liked it. You can tell them how dark you want to go, places you want to be darker or have more definition, etc.  It never looked orange or rubbed off on my clothes, and lasted about a week both times.  You just have to be comfortable standing naked in front of a stranger.
  • Options
    I got spray tanned and I really enjoyed the results.  I'm pretty fair but use sunless tanners on a regular basis and spray tan for special occasions.  Here is a pic to show you how tan I got from the last spray tan I did:

Updated 1/17/11 imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Pysd- do you have them airbrush you or the booth?

Holly- Yea, I dont know how comfortable I am. I think 'd want bra and underwear on.
  • Options
    I did the airbrush for that photo.  If you want to apply it yourself Faux Tan by Bare Essentials is awesome.  I would recommend putting it on with latex gloves so your palms don't stain.
    Updated 1/17/11 imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've done both the booth and airbrush, and airbrush is definitely the way to go! For the Nashville area try Healthy Bronze Airbrush Tanning...

www.healthybronze.com
  • Options
    Funny side note (that I may have mentioned in a similar thread before):

The first time I did it, I wanted to wear underwear. I grabbed the only brown pair I had so that they wouldn't get stained by the tan. The pair just happened to be lace. When I was done, I ended up with a lovely lace patten on my nether regions.  It was actually kind of cute...ha.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_spray-tan?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f2b4d7e0-9342-4828-89ef-141565f58b56Post:8b81f130-b2e8-4b8d-845f-fa37843987c3">Re: Spray tan</a>:
    [QUOTE]Funny side note (that I may have mentioned in a similar thread before): The first time I did it, I wanted to wear underwear. I grabbed the only brown pair I had so that they wouldn't get stained by the tan. The pair just happened to be lace. When I was done, I ended up with a lovely lace patten on my nether regions.  It was actually kind of cute...ha.
    Posted by berryholly[/QUOTE]
    Hahahaha that is awesome!

Mmm, I'm nowhere near nashville. Thanks though
  • Options
    I've done a regular mystic tons of times and have always had pretty good results.  If you ever repeat this, I would deny I told you, but my boyfriend has actually gone a few times with decent results as well - so that speaks to how easy it was. 

What I liked about mystic is that its less expensive than a regular air brush.  And I've never had weird/streaky results.  But I was always really careful about certain areas (tops/sides of feet, slight application to knees/elbows) with their pre-application cream stuff. 

The trick I heard was to wait at least 4 hours after the tan to shower and wash off the stuff.  It normally has a bronzer in it, so you will think you are washing away some of your "tan" but its not a big deal.  Then it will come out like 6-8 hours after that and last about 4-7 days, depending on your skin type and how often and rigorously you shower.  Usually I just will throw on a dark tee shirt and sweats before i go, so it won't get ruined after.
  • Options
    Also, wasn't their an episode of FRIENDS or something, where Ross tried to spray tan and forgot to turn around? So he got dosed twice on one side and none on the other and came out looking like a weirdo.  Someone tell me Im not crazy!
  • Options
    I have never done it but my mom did it for our wedding. She plays tennis everyday and has a horrible sports bra tan. The lady showed up at the house the day of the wedding with a dome tent and had a pump. My mom  liked it a lot. 
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    cbv- yes! Pretty sure there is an episode like that..
  • Options
    late here but I've done both Mystic and airbrush.

Mystic Tain = save your money.  weird & streaky, feels good on a hot summer day though ;)

Custom air brush = fantastic results.  I had a $50 spa finders GC that I used and paid the $30 additional and t myself.  I was wearing LBD to a Memorial Day Weekend wedding and needed some color.  It absolutely doesn't look fake but it is expensive.  It lasted about a week.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_spray-tan?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f2b4d7e0-9342-4828-89ef-141565f58b56Post:dccd18f4-f53b-4fde-b97f-a42db5699922">Re: Spray tan</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, wasn't their an episode of FRIENDS or something, where Ross tried to spray tan and forgot to turn around? So he got dosed twice on one side and none on the other and came out looking like a weirdo.  Someone tell me Im not crazy!
    Posted by cbvcru67[/QUOTE]

<div>They called him Miss Hawaiian Tropic b/c he did it wrong.  <strong>Such</strong> a good episode.</div><div>
    </div><div>Roxy, I got an organic airbrush tan on Thursday night for a wedding tomorrow... or today, since it's technically after midnight... and it's actually not bad at all.  The woman who did it was awesome, especially since I pretty much introduced myself and then stripped down to underwear, but I'd recommend an airbrush as a safer alternative to fake and baking.</div>
  • Options
    i have a great place here in orlando i go to. i definitely prefer airbrush to mystic! i also get tanned without bronzer so it doesn't get all over everything.
  • Options
    I have done the mystic, While the results were good for the day.  After I washed my face and used my cleansers and lotions and such It stripped the tan off my face...
    Try the jergans lotion, they have one for face it gives a nice glow
  • Options
    There's a self tanner you can get at Sephora called St. Tropez. Make sure it's the self tanner, not the bronzer which makes you look like an Acadamy Awards statue!
  • Options

Mary Kay has a really good sunless tanner. I lurvez it.

Just be smart when using a sunless tanner. If you apply it with your bare hands, wash them immediately after. When I apply to to places like top my knees, I make sure to keep them bent while it dries, so that it doesn't get stuck in those tiny creases when they're straight.

• Options
    I actually just threw a spray tan party last night. It was the first time i ever tried a spray tan and i love it. I wanted to get my bm's 2gether b4 my wedding and heard of having a tanning party ,and wow we had sooo much fun. The woman used brazilian bronze tanner and airbrushed us all . She set up a tent  and 1 by 1 all the girls were sprayed. It took like 10-15 minutes and all of us have different complexions and we all looked great. No one came out orange or spotty. After u shower u look great ! She said it lasts 6 -10 days depending on what bathing products u use and shaving and things like that so i guess everyone is different. We all went in just panties ,Obviously no one enjoys being practically naked in front of a stranger this woman made us all feel fantastic and comfortable. If you have anymore question feel free to ask .Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards