North Carolina
Options

Gift Registry

So, we have elected to not register for gifts at any location.  We combined 2 houses when we moved in, and have everything we could ever need and then some!  We are hoping that people will at least be kind and give us cards with money to use towards our honeymoon, but it is tacky to say that.  So, what do we do?  Just tell people we aren't registering anywhere and hope they read between the lines?  Is there a PC way to ask for $$?

Re: Gift Registry

• Options
    grace_ugagrace_uga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you going on a honeymoon?  If so, I would suggest a honeymoon registry - which is getting money basically - but allows people to feel as if they are contributing to something specific.  We used Honeyfund and it was awesome.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can do word of mouth, but trust me i think people know to bring a card with money when you go to a wedding. We got a lot of money, it was only our friends (recent college grads) who bought off the registry or gave us gift cards. And a lot of them asked if we were registered and I just told them yes, but in your case just tell them why your not and maybe say we could use gift cards from a, b, c. Just a thought, but I wouldn't stress over it.
  • Options
    alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're in teh same boat as you. We have decided to do a honeymoon registry as well. I am really excited about it. Haven't decided which one we'll use, but there are a few good ones.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No. You can not ask for money in any way. If anything it can be passed by word of mouth through your mothers if they feel comfortable giving that answer when asked by guests. If a couple felt they were good enough on house items I would be offended by them asking for anything else. That is what that is for, to help establish a home for newlyweds and for those with an established home and don't feel they want to register... they are good and have more than I do so I say I'll give whatever I see fit, whether that be a check or a gift I choose for you, or most likely I would give a gift card to a place like Macys. That would be my thoughts. I say go for not registering, no problems there, but I would never ask for $$.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you can ask for money... personally I think that's tacky. But, it is fine to not register and spread the word that you already have a lot of your household items... However, it's not up to you what they give you, so you might have to just deal with what you get.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There's no way to politely ask for any sort of gift, including money. Circulate it by word of mouth if you must.Remember, it's common courtesy to give a gift if you accept an invitation to someone's wedding, but it's also common courtesy for the couple to not to expect them & to be grateful for any gifts you receive.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards