North Carolina

Book recommendations?

Im going to go over to Borders today and pick up some books to read on the plane for our HM, any good recs for some REALLY good cant-put-em-down books? :)

Re: Book recommendations?

• grace_ugagrace_uga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm - what is your favorite ever book - I need to know what kind of book you would normally read...
  • allie76allie76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't know if you want to enter this world, but I highly recommend the Twilight series! I read the last book during my HM.
    TTC since Sept 2009 with PCOS. 3 failed Clomid cycles; 3 failed IUI's; 1 failed injectable + TI cycle. Surprise BFP on 1/22/12 while waiting to start IVF! EDD 9/30/12.
    Missed m/c discovered 2/20/12 (8w1d). D&C 2/23/12
    Photobucket [img]http://i54.tinypic.com/zsk41e.jpg[/img]

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Well, I love fiction type books, example, DaVinci Code. I love al of James Rollins books. Start with Map of Bones Just started on Steve Berry, Amber Room. It's pretty good so far. :-) I am not a mushy book reader, so I can't help you there. :-)
  • edited December 2011
    What kind of books do you like?  Funny? Non-fiction? ...
  • allie76allie76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also love Jodi Picoult--if you havent ready anything by her try My Sister's Keeper--wonderful book!
    TTC since Sept 2009 with PCOS. 3 failed Clomid cycles; 3 failed IUI's; 1 failed injectable + TI cycle. Surprise BFP on 1/22/12 while waiting to start IVF! EDD 9/30/12.

• edited December 2011
    Hmmm... tough question!! :)  I loved the Harry Potter books, used to love to read Stephen King when I was younger, yet my tastes also span to anything by Wally Lamb. I read half of Twilight, it didnt really picque my interest THAT much, for whatever reason. Also loved some of John Grisham's books.
  • edited December 2011
    LOVE the Twilight series!  Warning, you will become obsessed with them.
  • edited December 2011
    I like the Chrestomanci Chronicles by Diana Wynne Jones.  It's kind of like Harry Potter.  I started reading it because it was like $6 for a thick book and it had a cat on the front lol.
  • grace_ugagrace_uga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would recommend anything by Anne Tyler. Also - I loved "Everything is Illuminated." It's pretty heavy material but presented in a lighter manner. 
  • edited December 2011
    Katherine, if you like John Grisham, you will like James Rollins for sure.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks guys!!
  • edited December 2011
    Katherine, if you liked Harry Potter, check out Philip Pullman's "The Golden Compass" - that's the first in a three-part trilogy.  They are considered young-adult fantasy books but I love them!  The first two were very quick reads.  The third is taking me a little bit longer but the characters and the stories have me hooked.  Also, David Baldacci is similar to John Grisham - law related stories, hard to put down.  I really like Jenn Lancaster and Laurie Notaro as well - they both write non-fiction essays about life in general.  They are hilarious and brutally honest.  Jenn Lancaster's books make me LOL!
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Laurie Notaro books are really funny!Stolen Innocence was an interesting book
  • CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just read "The Heretic's Daughter" by Kathleen Kent which is about Martha Carrier (hanged as a witch in Salem during the trials.) It was a very interesting book and honestly I couldn't put it down. Definitely realism with a side dish of emotional fiction. So good. I second The Golden Compass, and if you're in sort of a mystery-epic-tale mood then The Story of Edgar Sawtelle was amazing. (It's got all this Hamlet-y stuff but the basics are- boy's family raises dogs, boys dad dies, boy's uncle is creepy and his mom falls in love with uncle, boy runs away, big dramatic ending. But SO good.)One more- if you love dogs as much as me you'll love "The Art of Racing In the Rain." It's a story of a family's trials and tribulations as told by the family dog. :)Hope that helps!
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• LBM7189LBM7189 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.  One of my all time favs.  It is a murder mystery, twisty book.  I like everyone else got sucked into the Twilight series.  I could not put them down.  But, once you read one, you have to read the rest and you don't want to spend your honeymoon reading!!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to make a little list from everyone's recommendations for myself.  Thanks for posting this Katherine! ;)
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, also, Memoirs of a Geisha is awesome if you have not read it yet.  Definitely one of my faves - its written like historical fiction, very detailed, and the pages just keep turning!
  • wendyh33wendyh33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Allie. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Piccoult was an awesome book!!
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto the His Dark Materials trilogy (starting with The Golden Compass).An easy fun read is the Sookie Stackhouse series of books. It's the series that HBO's TrueBlood is based on.
  • krispychikinkrispychikin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if you want a very light read - I love the confessions of a shopaholic book series (much better than the movie IMHO!)  perfect for letting your mind wander :)
  • edited December 2011
    I second krispychikin... I heart Sophie Kinsella. I have read most of her books, and they are just so fun to read :)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You have to get Emily Giffen's books.....unbelievable...I was seriously up all night finishing on and running to boarders the next morning to get the next...it's a must esp if you just got married....I think the first one is Something Borrowed, then Something Blue, the Baby Proff, then Love the One Your With.....Not sure how long you are going away for but I would get the first 2
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, I have SO many options to choose from now... been looking up some of the stuff you all listed on AMazon... SF I might go with the series you just recommended, it seems like it'd be up my alley, plus got great reviews on amazon, thx!!
  • allie76allie76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This post makes me want to go to Borders pronto, especially since I just finished the Twilight series.

• edited December 2011
    I'm forewarning you that you should get more then one of the series if your going to be gone for more then a week and might not have access to them where you are going (not sure where you are going).....I finished the first one on our way back from Mexico like an hour into the flight and I was running off the plane to get the next book and I think I stayed up all night to finish it and then went back to Borders the following morning to get the 3rd. I typically don't enjoy most books because they are too hard to get into but after the first five pages you are sucked in....hope you enjoy them!!!
  • edited December 2011
    might be too late to help katherine, but i LOVE to read and wanted to contribute! here are some of my all-time favorites: the time traveler's wife, the book thief, american wife, the twilight series, the pilot's wife, the kite runner & a thousand splendid suns, marley & me, the secret life of bees, and i agree with PP about all of emily giffin's books :)
    image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards