Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Quick Question on Tipping

Hello! So I read the knot's breakdown on how to tip, but (at least from the info I've found so far) I haven't been able to find this particular situation and I wanted to check with the etiquette board to find out what I should do.

We're going through who we have to tip right now. I am having my hair and make-up done professionally. Normally, I would tip at a salon. However, the young lady doing my hair works out of her home (has a studio in the front room), always travels to do hair and make up and does NOT belong to a salon and thus does not share her fees with anyone else. There is no significant travel involved; we're maybe about 20-25 minutes from her home.

I wanted to know if I should be tipping in this situation, since this woman works on her own and does not have to share with a salon. Obviously wedding costs are high as it is, but I don't want to commit a major breach of etiquette just because I'm trying to watch where the money goes. If you do feel I should tip, do you think it should be done as a percentage (10-20% would be 30-60 dollars) or should I just be tacking on a small amount? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Re: Quick Question on Tipping

• Options
    Generally hair and make-up people are the only ones excempt from the "you don't tip if they own their own business" rule.  I'm not sure why.  But we did tip both even though they were working freelance for us.
  • Options
    Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards