Wedding Etiquette Forum

Etiquette question

Are the parents of the groom to receive gifts from the bride and groom on teh wedding day?

Re: Etiquette question

• I don't know, mine aren't going to.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2010
    This is a newer thing perpetuated by the wedding industry. A lot of the ladies on these boards do give both sets of parents gifts either at the RD or on the actual wedding day. However, we did not.

We paid for the bulk of the wedding ourselves and were pretty much out of money. We did well to be able to afford gifts for our entire WP. Plus, H parents strictly told me not to get them anything. I did feel bad, but didn't want to go against their wishes. We did bring both sets of parents back something from our HM, so I didn't feel so bad afterall.
  • After the wedding we sent H's parents a gift certificate to a ncie restaurant in their town, and when our pro pics came back, we made them a family photobook.

The last thing I was thinking about on the actual wedding day was giving gifts.  I'd do it either at the rehearsal or after the wedding.
  • We gave our parents gifts, but at the RD. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Etiquette doesn't require it, but it is a nice touch, especially if they are helping pay for the wedding/RD.  

I wouldn't get something for one side and not the other, though.  
  • If you're not going to get a gift at the wedding, get them a framed print when your photos come in, and your FI and you could write a very nice note (about how they raise him, welcomed iyou into the family), that's always always a sweet touch.
  • Traditionally, the MOG/FOG and the MOB/FOB get photo albums with wedding photos about two months after the wedding.  For example, we gave MOG/FOG a medium sized album with about three photos of us, and 30 photos of various people from their side who were at the wedding.  We gave my mom a larger photo album with more photos of us, a couple of Mom and me, and photos of friends of MOB and photos of friends of mine, and some detail photos of the cake and favors and centerpiece, etc.
  • We didn't give gifts to either set of parents.  I think it's one of those things that has become huge in recent years.  When we got married most people on TK were getting small "mother's albums" for the parents, but that was it.
  • We gave them each a GC to a nice restaurant.  Neither set will treat themselves frequently, but they do enjoy going out, so we thought they'd enjoy that.  Also, I wrote really heartfelt cards to each set.  I tried to get H to do the same, but apparently his feelings evaporate on paper.  :D  He spoke at the RD, though, and covered what he would have written down.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I think you plan to get the brides parents gifts, you should so so for the groom. We did neither, and my parents paid for the whole thing (my parents said they didn't want anything).

And don't do it in front of people. Do it privately.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards