Wedding Etiquette Forum

Re: critique my invite:-)

• Options
    An invitation shouldn't be in the first person.  I'd change it to:

"You are invited to the celebration of  the beginning of their new life together as,"

Also, certain words should be capitalized:

Saturday, the sixteenth of October

two thousand and ten

half after four in the afternoon (no past - it's for funerals)

And the actual street address of the art center should be removed.  Include the information for your guests on an enclosure card.
  • Options
    The wording seems a little odd to me.  It's in first person when you say "our new life together," but then it switches to third.  I guess I would just stick with more traditional wording.
  • Options
    And two thousand and ten is actually correct.  It's annoying from a mathematical standpoint but it's correct grammatically.
  • Options
    I prefer half after to half past.

I'm not sure about the font. I don't like the g, but that might just be my computer. If you like it, go for it.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_critique-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fbf7651a-746e-41c8-bca6-75d4416553e8Post:5761908e-5c15-46e4-8ade-2f68bef022c6">Re: critique my invite:-)</a>:
    [QUOTE]And two thousand and ten is actually correct.  It's annoying from a mathematical standpoint but it's correct grammatically.
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]
    Aw man.   I thought about that after I posted. *sigh*
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_critique-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fbf7651a-746e-41c8-bca6-75d4416553e8Post:aca4a97b-f8f3-4bbb-8d9d-2a7fa88caa8e">Re: critique my invite:-)</a>:
    [QUOTE]two thousand ten, not two thousand AND ten. :)
    Posted by AmoroAgain[/QUOTE]

It's two thousand and ten

check Crane's.  Poor grammar and math but correct etiquette
  • Options
    Yeah - it's annoying to do something that "feels" so wrong. 

And we messed that up on our invites too.
  • Options
    Just curious, how is that "bad math"?  I mean in the Gettysburg address, Lincoln said "Four-score and seven"  (four twenties and seven, as in 87)
  • Options
    Mathematically, "and" indicates a decimal.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    I don't think I've met a single mathematician (unless you count my second grade teacher) who cares about whether there is an "and" and where it goes.  If this matters at all, it only matters on the grammar front.
  • Options
    MattsPenguinMattsPenguin member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited July 2010
    Weird.  I guess we engineers are just lazy (or practical) and say things like "The pressure increased by two point seven psi."

ETA:  Of course, I guess I also wouldn't say "The force changed by two thousand and forty-two pounds."
  • Options
    I wouldn't say it out loud but I write it when I write out checks. $24.99 is twenty-four and 99/100 dollars.
  • Options
    I think your script front is really nice, but the other font isn't great.  It's halfway between classic and quirky, but it's not really either and looks a little like an afterthought.

Martha Stewart listed some good typefaces for different styles: look here!
  • Options
    You switch from first person in the second line to listing your names and saying that these people will be united in marriage (third person).  To stay in first person without changing too much, you can just add "we" to the second line, like this:

...of the beginning of our new life together as we,
    Justin
    and
    Kayla
    are united as husband and wife.

Hopefully that made sense.  The wording is beautiful but definitely has to be consistent.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    173 Invites are in the mail! image
    58 are ready to party! image
    32 are missing out. image
    83 are nowhere to be found. image
    RSVP date is November 1.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards