Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Late Father of the Bride

So, I'm working on programs. When I get to the section for family, do I put "late Domino's Dad" under father of the bride, or do I not list him and list him under the memorial section? On the one hand, if I list him under parents, I can do away with a memorial section (I'd like to just do grandparents and parents who have passed, but my mom's wanting aunts and uncles, and tips it over into overwhelming, if you ask me). On the other, he's not alive. So. He should go in the memorial section.

Re: Late Father of the Bride

• Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I'm so sorry for your loss of your father.

I would recommend doing a memorial section of the program.  You can list people individually if you would like, or make a referrence to "loved ones who could not be with us today", whichever you are more comfortable with.  I think it could be weird to have a deceased parent listed with the living family members and bridal party members. 

No matter what you do, please ask the opinion of others in your family who will remember your father.  Your mother, perhaps, or your father's parents or siblings.  I guarantee you that your father's absence will be on their minds no matter what (especially if he passed away recently), and sometimes calling attention to his death can bring on unexpected feelings of grief at what they expect to be a happy event.   
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_late-father-of-the-bride?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fe82b608-04b2-4c14-8418-09c79ceffeb6Post:e2420feb-4dfe-414d-abcd-96ba9a10d734">Re: Late Father of the Bride</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so sorry for your loss of your father. I would recommend doing a memorial section of the program.  You can list people individually if you would like, or make a referrence to "loved ones who could not be with us today", whichever you are more comfortable with.  I think it could be weird to have a deceased parent listed with the living family members and bridal party members.  No matter what you do, please ask the opinion of others in your family who will remember your father.  Your mother, perhaps, or your father's parents or siblings.  I guarantee you that your father's absence will be on their minds no matter what (especially if he passed away recently), and sometimes calling attention to his death can bring on unexpected feelings of grief at what they expect to be a happy event.   
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts.</div><div>
    </div><div>My father died last February, after we got engaged, so yes, it's fairly recent.. My Nana (his mom) knows I'll be remembering him with a candle, and FI will be wearing his cufflinks and I'll have his ring in my bouquet, but I will run it by her, as well. I also let my mom and FI's mom know (as there are grandfathers as well).</div><div>
    </div><div>I have no problem listing the people I was close to (see below), but I'm afraid if even one more person is mentioned about being listed (an aunt/uncle on FI's side I didn't even know about, for example), I may just leave it without names, because the list is long. I'm torn, because I was truly close with my uncle and friend, but I may leave it at grandfathers and father or no names altogether, based on what FI's mom says.</div><div>
    </div><div>Right now, it reads like this:</div><div>
    </div><div><div style="color:#000000;font-family:arial;font-size:small;line-height:normal;"><div>Mr. Domino's Dad............Father of the Bride </div><div>Mr. Domino's Grandfather...........Grandfather of the Bride</div><div>Mr. Domino's Grandfather...Grandfather of the Bride</div><div>Mr. FI's Grandfather........Grandfather of the Groom </div><div>Mr. Domino's Uncle.............Uncle of the Bride </div><div>Mr. Domino's Close Friend...........Friend of the Bride</div><div>
    </div></div>
    </div>
  • Options
    Under "parents" on my program I have:

The late Megan's Dad
    Mom & Stepdad LastName
  • Options
    I think I would list your dad under parents as "the late Domino's dad."  Since your memorial section is getting overwhelming to you, is there another way you could recognize the people who would be listed?  For example, pictures in a denoted place at the reception?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would list your father as the late Mr. Domino. As for the list of family members, I would make it something general that way your father is still listed formally.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    I think I'd list your father with an asterisk after his name, and then at the bottom after another asterisk, put "In loving memory" or something like that rather than as "the late Bride's Father."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards