North Carolina
Options

New Homeowners (Long-ish)

I posted this on the May '10 board by accident. I meant to post here since I know lots of you are/have recently went through closing on a new home. We have been the owners of a new home since May of this year and we are still not receiving our mail correctly at our new address. Sometimes we get the mail that is sent; other times I'm getting calls about how someone received the mail they sent us back with a "Undeliverable" message on it. I'm not sure how to go about solving the "no mail" problem...here's more background info just in case it's helpful. We closed on the house in May of this year and were continuosly working on the house every week (this meaning that on Friday's & Saturday's, we were there almost all day every weekend). We were also there the other days of the week during evening times only working in/around the house. Since my school has started back, we haven't been at the house other than stopping by to check the mail. Neither of us are living there b/c we have the insides torn out and are getting ready to rebuild. We have never been at the house as the mail carrier has passed through. So....whould we leave a short note to the mail carrier letting her know our names as the new owners and that the previous owners mail should no longer be left there? Visit the PO and speak to them? I've never had to deal with anything like this, so I'm clueless as how to fix it?! Any advice?

Re: New Homeowners (Long-ish)

• Options
    Jodipi314Jodipi314 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You need to go to the post office and fill out a change of address form.  They're usually located at one of the side stands, and are really easy to fill out.  That will get all your mail routed to the correct address.  After you do that, you should also go on your bank website, credit cards, magazine subscriptions, etc. and change your profile to indicate your new address.  That will help routing errors when the PO tries to forward your mail.  You don't need to leave a note for the mailman.  You will probably continue to get mail for previous owners for a while; we've been in the house for a year and still the occasional random letter pops up for our previous owners.  Hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should go to the post office and talk to them assuming that you have already changed your address to that property by filling out the change of address form with the post office. You should also tape a piece of paper inside the door of your mailbox with your last names on it to let the postman know the names of the people that live in the house now. It will cut down on you receiving the previous owners mail and allows the postman to know what should be delivered and what shouldn't.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can also change it at usps.com, it cost 1.00
  • Options
    alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a similar issue b/c our house was new construction. You need to got to the local post office for your house and speak with someone there. You need to officially change your address. It's something that you will have to call them and be on their case constantly until it gets resolved. They knew me very well at the post office (I even took our builder down there to show that the houses were really there according to city codes). They finally got everything figured out and we haven't had too many problems since.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards