New Jersey
Options

NWR: Headache? Migraine?

Okay so I have had this pounding headache for 2 days now.  I don't know if it is a Migraine or not because I have never had one before, but I think I have some of the symptoms .  Sensitivity to light, certain sounds and hurts worse when I get up and down.  It has eased up this morning, but still lingering.  I have tried taking Advil, Tylenol Extra Strength, and even Sudafed Sinus Headache (because at first I thought it was allergy related)  Does anyone get Migraines and can you tell me what you take.  I am going to run to the store in a bit and want to buy something for it, just not sure what would be best.  I literally laid on the couch all day yesterday and I don't have time for that today. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Re: NWR: Headache? Migraine?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if I get migraines, but I do get really bad headaches.  the only thing that works for me is Excedrin Extra Strength.  There is an Excedrin migraine, but i've never tried it.  Hope you feel better!!
    Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I get migrains.  Before I get them my vision blurs and my fingers go numb.  I cant get them to go away.  I have heard caffine helps.  I just take 4 advil, shut the lights off and go to sleep.  Eventually it goes away. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This week has been bad for me and migraines... I normally get one once a month (usually right before my period) and this week I've had it for 3 days. Anyway, they suck. This is what helps me: lots and lots of water (stay beyond hydrated), coffee (caffeine), tylenol sinus extreme or something like that, laying in a hot bath with ice on my forehead/neck (having the heat below and the cold on top makes the extra blood drain from your head- seriously a life saver when I heard this one. it's the only thing that relieves the pressure for me).
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have migraines too.... they are brutal, wouldn't wish them on anyway.
    I actually have a prescription for mine ~ I take Imitrex and it is very, very helpful.... but again, it is an Rx.
    I also find that alternating very, very hot with very, very cold compresses helps me.... Standing in the shower with the water as hot as I can take it on my temple/head and then coming out an applying a cold compress helps a lot. Kinda like what Allie mentioned, though I have never tried the 2 at the exact same time. Interesting ~ going to keep that in mind!
    I also have had a headache, not a migraine though, all week. Thats weird so many of us had... maybe it is allergy/sinus related?
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeh, I feel like it's something in the air. A few people have told me they have headaches/migraines this week. FYI- I have Imitrex too but I don't like how it makes my throat sooo dry it feels like I'm going to die. I would rather not take it unless nothing else works Undecided
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_nwr-headache-migraine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:08ef460a-0c5e-4cc7-bd21-c96918b3b63aPost:dac2d3c0-1550-4321-86cc-79d4320459a0">Re: NWR: Headache? Migraine?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeh, I feel like it's something in the air. A few people have told me they have headaches/migraines this week. FYI- I have Imitrex too but I don't like how it makes my throat sooo dry it feels like I'm going to die. I would rather not take it unless nothing else works
    Posted by akmackay[/QUOTE]

<font color="#008080">I haven't had the side effect with Imitrex... but it does make me pee like CRAZY! Its unreal, if I take one I will pee no less than 4 times within the next hour, which is especially annoying if I am trying to sleep it off.
    Its so funny, of all the people I know who take Imitrex, everyone has a random, single side effect that none of the others do!</font>
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I get tension headaches and migraines -- the first usually leads into the other for me. During a tension headache the muscles in my shoulders and neck will tense up, and then I get the migraine symptoms of sensitivity to light and sounds.

I went to a neurologist about it, and like PPs said, stay very hydrated. Also, watch your food consumption. It is recommended that you eat several smaller portions in the day to keep your blood sugar up. My doctor recommended snacking on nuts for the protein.

Caffeine can sometimes bring on a migraine, but I find a cup of tea, a coke or a chocolate bar will help sooth my headaches.

There is an Excendrin with caffeine (I think it's the tension headache one). I took that for months before I got a prescription for Maxalt.

Good luck and feel better!
  • Options
    felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone, It actually got worse as the day went on.  I tried to sleep but it just got worse.  I am going to try the things you all mentioned, hopefully something helps, I can't take just sitting here all day long.  Does anyone know if a pain killer with help, like a Vicodin?  I just don't want to take something and make it worse 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been getting migraines since I'm 11, and have tried so many things during the years.  They're getting better now, thanks to peri-menopause (I'm 49) but that's a long time to wait for relief!

Migraines are caused by vasodilation of the vessels (the weird pre-symptoms are caused by constriction) so once the pain sets it, caffeine is a great reliever. Excedrin Migraine is helpful, and so is Rx Imitrex, if it works for you. It usually only helps in the "pre-headache" stage, but not once the pain starts.  Everyone else's suggestions about food and hydration are spot on.  Also stay away from nitrites (in hotdogs, tannins in red wine, aged cheese,chocolate and nuts) as much as possible!  Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards