New Jersey
Options

GM: suits vs. tuxes

FI has been considering wearing--and having the GM wear-- a suit rather than a full-on tux. That's fine with me, but if they do, does that mean all the GM have to *buy* a suit? Is that how this usually works?  FI's feeling is, "Well, then they *have* a suit, and everyone needs one suit eventually." He feels renting a tux is just a waste, because at the end of the day, you have nothing to show for it. But there's no way I'm *making* everyone go out and spend several hundred dollars to do this. I'd like to give them a renatl option, if possible, but I'm not sure if suit rental is even possible... or at least common...

Re: GM: suits vs. tuxes

• Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You can definitely buy a suite for the same price as renting a tux.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If they already have plain black suits, I would just ask them to wear those with white shirts, and buy them matching ties. If they'd all need to buy a new suit ... I think your FI should talk to them about it. They might be happy to invest in a suit if they haven't got one already, or they might be pissed. Ask them. I've heard of people renting suits before, yes, so I'd talk to a formalwear shop and see if this is an option.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been to a few weddings that did suits instead of tuxes, and the guys just all wore black suits they already owned, and it looked great.  The bride and groom did provide the ties to the guys in one of the weddings, and I thought that pulled things together nicely.  And if someone doesn't already own a black suit, you can get them pretty inexpensively, esp on sale from some place like Macy's.  The price can be comparable to a tux rental. 
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    ditto tiff... DH's tux was like $160ish? (well free, but the boys paid that) and you can get a suit for this price.   maybe not the best suit, but a suit.  although you will not get the uniformity with mismatched suites.  there are shades of blacks, pinstripes, etc.  it puts a bit more stress on the boys bc now they have to go buy a suit if they don't own one, or the ones they own aren't going to work for your wedding.  a tux you pick, they pickup, done. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My husband and our GM all wore 3 button black suits. Most of the guys had them but a few bought new ones and had no problem doing so. We bought the shirts and ties for each of them and it worked out great.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If the GM already have black suits no problem, if you are making them buy them that I'd check with them (especially if you have a particular one in mind that is $$).  A friend just said the whole "well now they will have one" and man were they pissed.As for mismatch, as long as you say plain black it's all good.  2 out of our 3 GM had tuxes, so we said no need to rent just get bowtie and vest.  Nobody even noticed one was 2 button vs. 3 button.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess I was afraid a suit that's comparable to the rental prices would look cheap, and I don't want to make the GM shell out any more than they have to to be in the wedding. But if a $100-$200 suit could do the trick, it might be worth it...
  • Options
    MyeMye
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are doing suits, Fi is getting one custom made, and the GM if they dont have their own black suit, we are going to put a rental thing with Men Warehouse
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I should add that my brother definitely does NOT have a suit; I believe FI's BIL only has the tan suit he wore in his own wedding. I don't want to piss anyone off over this =)
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    FI got a nice suit at Syms (on Rt. 17) and it wasn't too expensive. Plus I think they sometimes do BOGO half-off sales, or something like that. Doesn't Burlington Coat Factory also sell suits?
  • Options
    MyeMye
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    and we are buying them the ties
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mye: Men's Warehouse rents suits as well? Can I ask how much they run?  Like I said, I'd just like to give people an option.
  • Options
    MyeMye
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    no clue, they do rent them, i am going there tonight, I will let you know
  • Options
    MyeMye
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    burlington has nice suits, like Ralph Lauren and Nautica brand one, good quality too, those run about $200, but there are plenty of nice ones in the $100-$150 range, and they have a tailor there...my father and brother have bought a few there
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    excellent. Thanks, all.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you do the men's warehouse BYGO 1/2 off than the GM can just split the cost.  Check out the prices and then check with them.
  • Options
    MyeMye
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    men's wearhouse does NOT rent suits, Dante's does, with 5 rentals there's a free one
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards