New Jersey
Options

Unique Venues - HELP!!

Hi!  This is my first post.  My Fiancee and I are looking for a unique wedding venues for the reception.  We don't want a traditional wedding hall.  We're looking for some simple and modern or rustic.   Does anyone have any suggestions.   It would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!!!

Re: Unique Venues - HELP!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We looked into the Libery Science Center and Newark Museum...don't know how rustic they are but I think they're fairly modern.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Since this is your first post a tip - do not write "HELP!!!!" unless you are 2 days before your wedding and your vendor canceled on you.For venues a few more specifics would be great.  What is your budget?What area of NJ?Approximately how many people?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Rutgers Garden in New Brunswick... has a log cabin.
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cranbury Inn in Cranbury (very rustic) Triumph Brewing Co in Princeton (very modern)
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Montclaire Art MuseumGlen Ridge Women's ClubRidgewood Women's Club Those are all less traditional. You would need to bring in your own caterer but they are not the typical wedding hall!!
  • Options
    Angie550Angie550 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Park Avenue Club - I have never been but have heard it has that rustic feel.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My venue - Lake Valhalla Club.  Very rustic!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    VeryZenVeryZen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ditto needing to know more about your budget and location.Off the top of my head, some cool places I've seen/heard of:Grounds for Sculpture in Hamilton, NJ (I think you would need to find a caterer, but they give suggestions)Stone Museum in Monroe, NJ Lambertville Inn, Lambertville, NJ (Pricey, has kind of an 1800s feel, right on the Delaware River)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think you might be able to rent out the old CRRNJ railroad terminal in Liberty State Park. Ditto Seabass, Liberty Science Center would've been our first choice if it weren't so far out of our budget. I also considered Perona Farms but that was too far away from our church. Look into some wineries, too. (Another option I wanted, but our church is in Jersey City so we were pretty limited as to how far we could go for a reception.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Once upon a time, I was on the same hunt. Here's where we looked/considered, plus comments:My top pick: Loews Jersey movie theater in Jersey City: This is a breathtaking 1920s movie palace. Its absolutely stunning, and unlike anything else I've seen. The downsides: First, it's slowly being restored, but is a bit rundown. Still, its stunning. They have no AC, so it can't be in the summer. You have to rent EVERYTHING -- every chair, table, glass, napkin. You have to hire a fire marshal. You have to hire a caterer who can work in a space with no kitchen (though a lot of them can), you have to hire all the waitstaff. All of this ads up a lot faster than you'd think.  And its in dirty Journal Square. ;-) In the end, all of the extra costs were just too prohibitive for us to go there, but it remains the venue my heart aches for.The Mezzanine, Newark: Also for the 1920s feel: IT's a converted old bank, with gorgeous Art Deco gold detailing, marble floors, 1920s WPA murals on the walls, the old teller stands as bars (awesome). PLUS its a Frungillo spot, so you have everything right there, which makes it SO much less work than the Loews. And Ben Frungillo, who manages it, is really a sweetheart who tries to work with you. I loved this palce too, but again, by the time we hired a valet (it's inn the middle of Newark) and added all the extras in, it was mroe than we wanted to spend.The Newark Museum: Also cool, your guests can actually wander through the exhibits, there's an outdoor courtyard where you can have the ceremony and cocktail hour. We thought it was cool, but not as cool as the other two. Plus, it was (again) more than we wanted to spend. (I sound like a toal cheap bastard, don't I? ;-)The Women's Club of Glen Ridge: A lovely old house. Hard wood floors, not at all cheesy. We liked it a lot, but again, didn't have the "wow."If your willing to travel far: The Hall of Springs in Saratogo Springs is AMAZING. But, it's in Saratoga Springs ;-)So after all that, we wound up here:http://feastcaterers.com/It's called Round Hill, in Orange County, NY. It's basically a converted old house. Beautifully decorated, big porch. They have these free tasting events monthly where you can go and see the palce PLUS try the food, which we thought was great. And the food was really good. And its a really good deal.Hope that helps =) Good luck -- I know how hard it is to find something non-reception-hall-ish! Let us know where you pick!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Michelemy FI and I had the same dilemma when we were picking our venueI can recommend our caterer, The Ultimate Caterer.  his website is ok...don't go by that impression, but he has access to about 25-30 unique properties in NJ, including some mentioned above (newark museum, grounds for sculpture)for most "unique" wedding venues, it will almost certainly mean hiring outside catering, and having to rent placesettings, chairs/tables.  It can get very costly very quickly, so be sure you know what costs you are going to be responsible for.  Also for an outdoor venue, you probably are going to have to catering trucks, tents and fancy porta potties.  also some venues (i.e. Newark Museum) will REQUIRE that you purchase liability insurance.  This can run you about $300-800 more dollars.  we ended up contracting at the Berkeley Hotel in Asbury Park.  it's got a great 1920's feel, and although they recently renovated it, they kept a lot of the old architectrual elements, so it feels "real" to us.  We had to use catering b/c although the hotel has a full kitchen, they don't have food staff.  I was ready to run for a turn-key venue, but our caterer totally assured us that we are in good hands.  If you do call Ultimate, let them know that Cara & Matthew recommended them to you.  If you do end up going to a "turn key" all-inclusive venue, The Mill at Spring Lake Heights is sort of rustic/modern and is on a little lake.  The food is good, too!  That was one of our hall choices.  if you have any more questions on costs, what's involved with planning, page me on the board or this thread with your question and email address.good luck-Cara
  • Options
    Heater020780Heater020780 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. The Liberty House 2. Windows on the Water 3. Brielle River House 4. The Avenue in Long Branch
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hamilton Farm Golf Club.  That's where we had our wedding, and it is not a traditional hall at all... it is a golf club built on a 600-acre estate, so you get the estate house to yourselves for the day, the cocktail hour is on a gorgeous lawn, and the reception is in a glass-enclosed tent.I can send you photos if you'd like to see them.
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Stonehouse
  • Options
    acablitasacablitas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed with Just Jen on the Mezzanine.  That was FI and my 3rd top choice.  We ended up happily with Florentine Gardens :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Crossed Keys Inn in Andover, NJ?  Would have loved to have it there, but it's too far and a bit too pricey.  GL.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    KnowhaKnowha member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Just Jen,   I'm looking into having my wedding at the Mezzanine in Newark.  We are still waiting on pricing for the valet.  Would you happen to remember the ballpark of how much hiring that valet costs?   Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards