New Jersey
Options

Hate to say it but...be careful with card boxes/cages

Was just warned by a florist (who rents out the card holders) that she has heard from SEVERAL brides who have had cards swiped from the card boxes, decorative bird cages, etc... I was shocked, but when I thought about it, with all the chaos of a wedding it would be really easy for a wait staff or other staff member to be "tiding up" and grab a few cards, hide them in a napkin or whatever and you would notice until after the fact. Even if you did notice sooner, you couldn't really accuse anyone. If they got a card with a check in it, it's not much use to them, but a lot of people give cash. I could not believe it -but she said you would be sadly amazed had how often she has heard of it, especially lately, and at the most reputable of places. She said the best thing to do is to put it in a spot where lots of people can see it from different angles -or even better, to not have a box and accept the envelopes from your guests, then designate a "trusted old aunt/family member/friend" who is not going to be dancing much to hold onto a pouch (or something along those lines). I think I am still going to do a card box anyway, but was glad for the warning so I can put a little more thought into what kind and where I will have it displayed. Crazy!!!

Re: Hate to say it but...be careful with card boxes/cages

• Options
    edited December 2011
    my cardbox had a lock (though I don't think we actually locked it)the ones that customcreativecardboxes make just have the slit for the card so there is no way someone could steal it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    agree with pp... it's not so much about not having a box at all it's more about having one that someone can't easily take cards out of. Either by having a lock or keeping the openings small enough where someone can't stick their hand in.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea, ditto about FORTHEMODERNBRIDE cardboxes.  I'm going to be making my own, but I'm using theirs as inspiration.[img]<a href="http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/mscutieri/cardboxes2.png" rel='nofollow'>http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr228/mscutieri/cardboxes2.png</a>[/img]
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image182 invited
    image4 got lost on their way to the mailbox
    image127 will witness the anticipated bear union
    image51 will miss out a beary good time
    [RSVP Date 6/01] [125 min]
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agreed...small slit and nothing else, it can't get stolen.I had a box with a lock so that when we went around to say hi and people gave it to us we could put it in there with no problem. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I always wondered why I never heard more horror stories about this type of thing happening.Although i did once read about a couple who put their cardbox in the trunk of the car and at some point on the way home, they stopped somewhere and the car was stolen!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I almost left all my cards at the venue!  The staff packed up all my stuff for me to take at the end of the night but my venue has a strict policy that staff members are not allowed anywhere near the bird cage, which totally slipped my mind.I was outside waiting for the limo to pull up when MH asked where the cards were.  I went running back in and there they were untouched.  The staff hadn't even noticed I left them cause they stay clear of the area.  LOL  Not one was missing.
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is really really sad that someone would steal wedding gifts like that!  I know the economy sucks right now & there are a lot of shady people out there but wow!  I think I'll be going with a small slit or locked somehow.  Thanks for the heads up! 
  • Options
    MishieMishie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours was also made with just a small slit.   We didn't have any issues (every guest was accounted for in gifts).
  • Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agreed.  Maybe have a trusted family member also keep an eye on the box.I went to my friend's wedding and they did not have a card box.  Nobody knew what to do with their cards.  At theend of the night, everybody lined up to give the B&G the cards, but it was a big wedding and it was taking FOREVER.  Most people ended up leaving the cards in a pile on their table, assuming they would be picked up by the B&G.Low and behold, at least 3 tables worth of cards were "lost" by the reception hall.  They apparently claimed that their waiters must not have seen the cards and threw them out by mistake.  And this was a very expensive reception location in Long Island. 
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    my cardbox also was "locked"... it had a ribbon that had to be cut to open.  that is sick. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we used a bird cage and nothing was stolen. :)
  • Options
    imagrl10imagrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    where can i get a cardbox that locks?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards