New Jersey
Options

Pequannock people???

Sorry I keep asking about towns lately. When I put my mind to something I need to get it done! Anyone here live in or around Pequannock? I heard parts are in flood zones? yes or no? I feel like its further north so it shouldn't be but IDK.... FYI I think the Lincoln Park house is not meant to be. I'm still seeing it again tomorrow but I believe another offer has been put in already and I'm concerned about access roads. Thanks for all your help... if you don't want to advertise your town on here e-mail me- nov1585 at aol dot com

Re: Pequannock people???

• Options
    kle0113kle0113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How far north do you want to go? Pequannock is a nice town but parts do flood. Kinnelon is a very nice town and butler is ok. They are both a little north of were you are looking now. If you even want to go further north you have west milford but the taxes there are pretty high. The house across from my parents has been for sale awhile if you want I can get you the info and mail it to you. Just not sure if you want to go that far north.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Diane, I was just going to look for your earlier post, get your email :) My husband grew up in a non-flood zone, so to speak, of Lincoln Park: "Comly Estates" (sounds grand LOL but it's modest, built-in-60's homes, cul-de-sacs). He said @5% of Lincoln Park floods but as he (& I ) have seen 1st hand (& as you may see if you look around by the river at some homes) the damage can be incredible. Pequannock, I hear, has a little better school system (at least highschool) than Lincoln Park; I think property taxes in Pequannock MAY be a bit higher. MH just said Pequannock has a small area that floods (between Rt 23 & a small convenience-store/drive-through called Bruno's, which probably doesn't help!). A good, honest realtor should be able to steer you.I *think* "Melissa82" is from Pequannock; maybe she could offer some good insight.FWIW, I love areas of "LP' & Pequannock & we wouldn't mind moving there someday; we've thought about it!    
    A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Flood areas of pequannock are near lincoln park road near the lincoln park border and also off jackson ave near rt 23.  That section is called "the village."  There are a few other areas here and there that flood.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My Ex lived in Pequannock and his house would flood every spring without fail. It got pretty bad some years. I've heard the high school is just one big drug filled building, but not sure how much truth is to it. But from all the times I was there it was nice and everyone seemed "normal" lol. What about Pompton Plains and Pompton Lakes? I know that parts of them are in the flood zones but I have a friend who just moved to the Lakes and loves it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We've been house hunting too and have seen a few in Pequannock. We asked our realtor about the flood zone thing and he said that yes areas do flood, but not all areas. We happened to go there on a day it was pooring, so it gave us a pretty good picture of the area. When you go into the basement of the houses, there are tell tale signs. Ask your realtor and he/she should be able to tell you what to look for. I had no clue until our realtor explained it to us. One of my closest friends lives there and loves it. She has 2 little ones and has been able to make friends with other young moms in town. I hope this helps...good luck!
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure of the areas since I'm only looking on gsmls.com. The realtor told me that most of my price range would be flood zone, but I did see a nice looking condo. Anyway.... we saw a second house today but it was a dog..... rather 9 dogs! You can imagine the smell. She also said that the house flooded in 2007 and its built on a slab, no basement... so this is not the house for us. I did get to speak to the owner about access roads flooding and she said she never had trouble getting to a from in the flood and that things happen gradually anyway, so you wouldn't necessarily be trapped immediately. So I'm still back on the first house which we will see tomorrow again. An offer has been placed on the house, so we need to counter soon if we have any chance of getting it. Hopefully whatever happens will be for the best! Thanks for all the help!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good luck, don't worry about missing the 8K rebate.....next yr it will have to renew or be better to keep the market alive.  Take your time and make the right choices.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am from Butler which is in the area of Pequannock and I know for a fact places there do flood.  I would really stay away from flood zones.  There are nice deals out there and you will get the right one for you.  There are a few houses in Butler that are reasonably priced and the taxes there are pretty good.   There are also houses in Bloomingdale that are very reasonably priced but our taxes are a little higher.We got our house in Bloomingdale and the price was so great that we were able to deal with the taxes.
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Taxes there are VERY high. We couldn't afford it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Pompton Lakes & West Milford are even higher ..just fyi. :)What about Riverdale?  Their taxes are fantastic!!!  If you are looking for a condo, Rock Creek Crossing & The Grande have beautiful places and the Taxes are not over $5000 on either.
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Grande is beautiful but we could only afford a 1 bedroom there... the 2 bedrooms start in a much higher bracket.... I may still look there if the opportunity presents itself.
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And Pompton Lakes/Butler is too far. FI works in Jersey City and as it is does not get to the Clifton train station until 7:00 at night.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are also really nice condos in Butler on Rt. 23 Cambridge Heights.  I saw a 2 bedroom there for like $297k and they have pretty good taxes too.  Good luck..let us know what you find! :)
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a catholic school teacher... 297 is too much.... I know you can talk them down but my upper limit is 230, and I can find it, its just going to take some sacrafices I guess. Thank you for all your suggestions! I know that a flood zone is not ideal, but its better than what we are renting and where we are renting.... it also is a great location and the house is just beautiful. I can imagine myself living there and some of these other houses i couldn't even picture at all! Since this house has an offer in for it, I'm going back with my step dad who is a contractor/home inspector. If he gives me the go ahead I think I'll put an offer in and then leave it up to God! If we get out bid (and like i said, 235 upper limit) then I keep looking... but i don't want to miss out on it without even trying.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was born and raised from Kinnelon and agree with everyone. Stay away from the flood zones. I know the deal is great, but even my mom gets water in the basement and she is not considered a flood zone.Pequannock has some none flood areas... We looked their last year and I grew up in ther area. I think Pompton plains and Pompton Lakes is good as well as Riverdale and Bloomingdale, but taxes are high everywhere. One of my friends lives in Linclon park, in Deer run, and her taxes are high. DH is from north haledon and even there taxes are crazy now a days (parents still live there) Good luck with your search!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I looked for houses in the same area and was really concerned about the flood zone and the flood insurance.  In the end we bought in Hewitt which is the far side of West Milford by Warwick, NY.  It may be far from where you were trying to look but we found the houses to be a lot nicer for the money. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The area of Pequannock that floods is the area  between newark pompton turnpike and rt 23 around jacksonville ave and south of that as you get to the pequannock lake swim club.  They don't flood as bad as the homes in lincoln park that are off 202 by the river....usually just water in the basement, and it really has to come down for a few days for the roads to flood.  Once the rain stops, the water quickly recedes.  The west end of town is really nice and doesn't flood.  As you go north, you get to the more desirable end of town, pompton plains, and the prices go up, up, and up.  The school systems in pequannock are very good, the highschool is in need of updating, but you have 15+ yrs before you have to worry about that.  Taxes are pretty low compared to lincoln park, Wayne, and Pompton Lakes.  All in all it's a great town if you are looking for that small town feel with a town center.There are a few townhome / condo communities in lincoln park that are very nice and some 2 bedroom units are well under 300K....deer run, hilltop farms, and pinebrook village (the most affordable).
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    User.. .i feel like your looking out for me! But I still don't know what to do!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If it came down to the same price in flood, I would go with Pequannock over lincoln park-Better schools (in particular HS)-More ways in and out if roads do flood-Better downtown area-Closer to rt 23 shopping (avoid congestion on rt 46)
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I so wish that their wasn't an offer on this other house already so i could take my time and look- but I feel like I don't even have a chance!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Other opportunities will come along. Remember what Robert Kiyosaki says (author of rich dad/poor dad - real estate riches).   "I passionately believe that the 'Deal of the Decade' comes along about once a week."
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well... its over anyway. Step-dad gave me lots to think about and overall it is not for us. We'll keep looking
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards