New Jersey
Options

Thoughts on Venues

Any thoughts on any of these venues?Brooklake Country ClubBerkeley Ocean Front HotelMayfair FarmsExcelsior in New JerseyB'nai Tikvah, North Brunswick, New Jersey Versailles Ballroom at the Ramada of Toms RiverCrystal PlazaAtrium Country ClubWestminster HotelRichfield RegencyWilshire Grand in West Orange, NJNY Hall of ScienceNewark MuseumThe Grand MarquisHilton at Newark AirportSheraton at Newark AirportRenaissance at Newark AirportHilton, Edison, New JerseySephardic Temple of Cedarhurst, NYPossibly Beth El on Manhattan Beach -- Star of the World Caterers Any ideas either positive or negative? 

Re: Thoughts on Venues

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Which Excelsior? There's one in Marlboro/Manalapan and one in Saddle Brook (or somewhere up north).I've been to the Grand Marquis for a wedding. IMO, awful service. They have Russian service, where the food is brought out on trays and served to each person as they ask for it. One of the waiters spilled a whole tray of beef with gravy all over one of my cousins, practically ruining her dress. The maitre'd got her info and told her to send them the dry cleaning bill, since he witnessed the whole thing and the owner/manager wouldn't pay her back. I also think the decor is rather outdated.
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's quite the list!Crystal Plaza is beautiful and has great food.You're going to look at places at the airport??
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh and my MOH went to a wedding at the Versailles Ballroom and said the filet was the best she's ever had. This was at a wedding we were at together, the next day, as she was talking about how "average" the meals in front of us were.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Was just at the Atrium and loved the food, from the cocktail hour to the dinner and dessert I have no complaints. Personally would not do a wedding at an airport hotel. Versailles is owned by the same place that my wedding is at, I can't comment on the actual place, or chef (obviously different people) but I am so happy with my place and what they offer for the price.What Hilton in edison?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking Raritan Center or MetroPark, Cheryl. 
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would skip airport hotels. There are so many nice venues in this area to choose from... I think first you need to narrow down what type of wedding you envision.... do you want a museum wedding where you might need to provide your own caterer or do you want the wedding at a hall where the food is made on site? That being said, I have heart great things about Crystal Plaza.....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your feedback!I don't know why, but I found a caterer who wants to show me hotels near an airport.  I'm not really getting it either, but thought maybe I was missing something.  The Excelsior is in Manalapan, New Jersey.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Spunky that frightened me she was thinking Raritan Center,  we use that as our OOT hotel for my company and well its a Garden Inn, she can't possibly LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It is the Hilton at Edison/Raritan Center.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, thanks for letting me know about the Raritan Center! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    cherylanddan0706, what is your venue?  is it near the Versailles Ballroom?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Garden Inn in Hamilton is nice, or at least it looks nice from the outside. The caterers are clients of ours at work, and they're good people, so I have a feeling it's not all that bad, nor would one at RC be bad.All the hotels by the airport seem skeevy to me, probably b/c they're right by Newark Airport. That's not to say they're not nice, serviceable venues on the inside, but I would be concerned about noise once you're in the rooms.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know much about New Jersey.  I'm from NYC.  My fiance's parents are from Cherry Hill, New Jersey.  So, we're trying to plan something in the middle. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Hilton Garden Inn Raritan Center is totally not something of a wedding venue to be honest.My venue is the Freehold Radisson - Crystal Ballroom, they are owned by the same company but not in the same area.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As for the food at RC Hilton, I know nothing about it, all I know is all the meetings we have had on site locations we never booked at the RC Hilton, and I'm planning a local one for November and the RC Hilton is not on the table.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ohh ok b/c the one in Hamilton has its own ballroom, much like your venue does.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My brother and sister had their Bar and Bat Mitzvahs at the Excelsior and I had my junior prom there. The food is nasty IMO. The room is decent, but I think you have better places on your list!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine had her wedding at the Westminster Hotel and they got a really good deal and the food, particularly the filet was AMAZING. There is a steakhouse at the hotel which is very well reviewed and the chef is the same. I know they negotiated down and did great for a Saturday night peak season.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is quite a diverse list in many aspects.  I think you can narrow it down some if you focus on budget, location,and the general type of reception you want.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  Yeah, I just don't want to eliminate much without my fiance's input.  He hasn't had a chance to look at anything yet online.  I will probably eliminate the Raritan Center though.
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do agree with USER that your list is sort of all over the place in terms of the types of places they are. If you post the area of NJ you're looking for, budget (with time of year, day of the week and whether you want day or night), people will be able to suggest some places to check out.
  • Options
    Denise91980Denise91980 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My sister had her wedding at the Crystal Plaza...It is very nice and the food was over abundant and really good. People kept coming back with different foods and deserts and we didn't even know where it was coming from...I have never been to weddings at any of the other mentioned places, however my fiance and I looked at the Atrium and could not guarantee 150 for the upstairs room and we didn't like the downstairs room. But we have heard good things about the Atrium. I think it all depends on what you are looking for because many of these places are in different locations and price ranges.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have a few basic requirements so far: 1. To accomodate around 150 people. 2. Food needs to be kosher with orthodox supervision. 3. We cannot spend more than $110 per person for food, liquor, and hall combined. 4. The venue needs to be located no more than 1.5 hours from Brooklyn, New York and 2 hours from Cherry Hill, NJ. 5. I would love for the room to have windows.Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I forgot that the wedding needs to be on a Sunday, but it doesn't matter what time of the day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Does the 110 include tax and tip?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The 110 does not include tax and tip.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can pretty much eliminate all the temples, they are priced SUPER high!! I know most of them are about $200-$250 p/p on Saturday nights...not sure about Sunday, but Im guessing its not that much less. I also know that Crystal Plaza is up there in price, probably more than your budget
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had our wedding in April at The Atrium. The upstairs room has windows and if you do an off peak wedding, it will be under 110 but that is without tax/tip. We had MANY people from Brooklyn/SI come and a few from south of Cherry Hill. The Cherry Hill people spent the night, the brooklyn/SI ones went home. I'm not sure about the kosher thing... As both a bride and a guest at a wedding there recently, everything there was fabulous. Crystal Plaza is out of your price range. Mayfair Farms fits that price range...as does Wilshire Grand when we were looking at Venues in early 2008.
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    thats a hell of a list. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's interesting because Mayfair Farms is one of the most expensive places on my list now while Crystal Plaza is much more affordable.  On what day of the week did you get married?  Maybe, Sunday rates are a lot lower at some places.  Also, I'm looking around 10 months out from the time of my wedding.  So, some places may have days available and not think that they are definitely going to book them.  Who knows?Did you have an evening or afternoon affair?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards