New Jersey
Options

finding reception halls

hey ladies, I need some help finding affordable halls for my wedding which is in 2011. I have looked at pantagis renaissance, the grand marquis and a couple of other places. however, the two places I loved the most ( pleasantdale chateau and castle at skylands) are way off budget ( about $200 pp). does anybody have any suggestions of places similar to my faves without completely breaking the bank?

Re: finding reception halls

• Options
    MyeMye
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    how much do you want to spend?
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What's your budget per person? Before or after tax and tip?What time of year are you looking for?Friday, Saturday, Sunday?Night time or is a day wedding OK too?All these things affect the price. =)
  • Options
    saram348saram348 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My budget is about 90 pp before taxes and I am willing to do any days, fri, sat or sunday. unfortunately our time frame to get married is very small. my fiancee is in medical school and he has to move to his residency program by july 2011 and we graduate in may so we have half of may and all of june which is peak wedding time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What time of year were you looking at? I was quoted for the castle at 110pp for April. (if you love the place maybe you can move your date? just a suggestion)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    what day of the week was the $110 for? just curious...that sounds low...must be a friday night or Sunday right?
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    saram348saram348 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    unfortunately we couldnt do any earlier than may or june because we are in buffalo now finishing school and then going down just for the wedding.the kind of reception im looking for is NOT the typical banquet halls like country clubs and places like that. skylands and pleasantdale are classy and different from the typical wedding
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is at a reception hall and is classy. Just because it's at a different place, doesn't mean it's classier.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What do you think of The Manor in West Orange? owed by pleasantdale people but much less PP.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm at the Radisson of Freehold - Crystal Ballroom, but considering the two that you are saying are classy in comparison in your opinion, its I believe def in your price range but I don't think it would fit you.Check out the Manor as DMLJ said, Grand marquis I haven't heard good reviews, I know nothing about Pantagis.
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm. Usually the places that are different tend to be more expensive. Maybe check out Newark Museum (I'm pretty sure Frungillo does the catering for them?) or the Mezzanine in Newark (also Frungillo). For the Mezz, just be sure to add up all the costs--you bring in your own liquor, and security, valet, etc. are all separate. I looked there at first but ended up going with the Villa because I'm planning from far away and it was just too much for me to coordinate.
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh--what about the Sheraton in Parsippany? It's the one that looks like a castle.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I wouldn't bother dealing with Skylands.  I was a BM in a wedding there last year, and the bride and groom had a good deal of headaches with them, both during the planning and during the wedding.  For what they were paying, I think they should have had better treatment from the people there.  From the guest's side, the place was great, but I think there are better places to spend your money.  Just my 2 cents.  Good luck looking! 
  • Options
    saram348saram348 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you girls are definitely on point because i have apts with the villa and the manor in a few weeks. for the fellow bride getting married at the villa, tell me all the goods about it. and thanks for the advice about the sheridan in parsippany and the mezzanine. its been so long since ive been down there so its hard to remember the places. also, do you guys know if its actually possible to haggle the price of the reception hall?
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can get them to throw stuff in usually- extra carving station, an intermezzo, swap out cheaper CH food for more expensive things (ie i swapped chicken quesidillas for prime rib on toast points.)
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I got married at the Villa and haggled a lot on my price with them. I bargained with them and spent in your price range before tax/tip for a Saturday in the winter. You might be able to get a Friday night for that price in the summer.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have a price list in front of me, but I think a Friday at the Villa in peak season was around $118 before tax/tip when I booked at the end of 07. I think you'd be able to get that down a bit, but I'm not sure if it's also gone up since then? Can't hurt to try. If you have questions about the Villa, let me know...I'm not sure what to tell you about it. =)
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    I also think it's funny that you like the Pleasatndale Chateau yet you're looking at Pantagis.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got married at Naninas In The Park on Jan 2, it is usually pretty pricey but we got an amazing deal since it was the "off season". If you consider winter you can get a lot more for your money.
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Manor is 82-96 I believe in the summer months..
  • Options
    apalazzoapalazzo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i got married at the hamilton park hotel.  they did have a menu that was $85pp when I was looking.  My BIL just got married at the Manor last weekend.  not sure about the pricing though
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    edited December 2011
    mine was closer but still a bit over your budget.  what is your GL size?  if under 130 ppl, check out warwick, ny's chateau hathorn.  it is exactly what i wanted and more compared to skylands and pleasantdale.  you are not going to be happy with some hotel reception if that is your vision, so i wouldn't even bother.  lake valhalla club was also up there on my list as being very quaint and different but very afforadable.  email for info if interested: allisonpeck at yahoo or page me; pics/links in bio.  GL!
  • Options
    DiorAndKissesDiorAndKisses member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Echoing what Allie said above. Lake Valhalla Club is definitely in your price range and it's very pretty. They're doing some construction to make the room a bit bigger, but it has a very rustic feel. I loved it, but I chose someplace a bit closer to home for me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    cvl105: it was for a friday but i want to say it jumped to 130 for a sat. Everything was great but CH is scattered in different rooms that was it for us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can try the Woodcliff Manor.  For a day wedding they are right on target with your price range.  It definitely has a style different than most.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second the manor for being under $90
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Another place that would be around your price range is the Tides in North Haledon.. I can''t remember off hand what they quoted us at when we went but I believe it was around your price range for a Friday or Sunday. Nice grounds and good food from what I have heard.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As PP said the tides is in your price range. I got married there in March on a Saturday night and it was around what you have in mind budget wise... One of my BM's got married there in July last year on a Friday and she paid WAY under your budget per head. I think it was 75 per head for the Friday in July... the downstairs room though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Another ditto for The Tides. We booked them because we felt they could give us the best bang for our buck, of all the places we visited. Plus I've only read positive reviews of it on this board. My second choice was Costa Del Sol in Union - I liked the all-glass outdoor ballroom and that it seemed more like a restaurant than a reception hall. FI liked Bridgewater Manor in Bridgewater. We were also going to check out Gran Centurions in Clark but we booked the Tides first.
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Tides is very nice, but if she doesn't want a reception hall, I'm not sure she'll like it. That's why I didn't suggest the Villa either--I didn't think she'd like it. =)
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    edited December 2011
    ditto melissa, i did not like the tides for the same reason.  too "normal".  if OP wantst that different feel, i think she has to keep looking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards