New Jersey
Options

Bridal by Roma Rant

A while back I called and asked if they carried my dress. They said no but not only would they order it but they would give free alterations. This was exciting because I knew the dress was only 700 at two other stores that charged for alterations. So  today I called to ask details before I ordered. She said the dress was 1200 dollars. When I told her two others carried it for 700 she said "My dresses are better". I asked, "Aren't they from the same company?" She stumbled on her words and got annoyed and said she needs to charge extra in order to not charge for alterations!...Well then they are not free!....It makes no sense.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bridal by Roma Rant

• Options
    edited December 2011
    that's ridiculous...I wouldn't buy from there after that. FU lady!
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah.. .basically at that store when they say "alterations are included" it basically means its built in to the cost of the dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not. I don't care if I have to pay more than 1200! I don't think ill have to though
  • Options
    West0509West0509 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's interesting because FI's coworker's wife recommended the store to me and said that if they work with the manufacturer you're looking for, they will match the price of the dress if you found it somewhere else for less.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I get the "alterations included" but when i called she said the were "free" and said please come back to them because I'll save.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    West : really? this was a different girl than I talked to the first time and this lady was a ***. The way she talked was like she owned the place. I'm dissapointed
  • Options
    simplyceesimplycee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Russell's in Linden does the same thing. Alterations are included in the price (with signs all over stating that if alterations are needed because of weight gain or loss, then you will be charged). They wanted $980 for a Casablanca dress and Cinderella Bridal (who does charge for alterations) wanted $800 for the same dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's strange because I got my dress from there and the price they were charging was actually less or the same than everywhere else, including online.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I am the only person here who has been having a wonderful experience with Bridal by Roma (so far) and my sister did too.But...I will say, one of the people there that usually answers the phone, an older woman, can be QUITE cranky.That being said...if they don't carry the dress, I think they charge more to order it special...but that doesn't seem to be what she told you so I would go somewhere else or go in and talk to them in person and not on the phone
  • Options
    West0509West0509 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've read complaints from other knotties about the employees at Roma being "cranky" also.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They do carry the designer so no extra costs there and she straight out said she " has no dress under 1200 in her store"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Bridemaid - a lot of of us had good experiences - myself, jaytee, ownedby3, and a few others.  This is one of those places people either have a good or a bad. People here love Helen Bohn but I had a bad experience with them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Could this old cranky lady answering the phone be bullshitting me? Should I go ask a manager?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Who is the designer?  And yes there is one cranky person who just answers the phone but when you talk to her in person she's very nice.  It is a bit bizarre.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Venus
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If possible, i would go in and talk to someone and just tell them, this is what you told me BEFORE and this is what I am being told now.If they still won't budge or can't explain themselves, then I would move on to somewhere else.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't like it when I went there to try on dresses. They kept saying they'd give me 10% off my order if I left a $300 deposit that day. Great except that I didn't find anything I liked there! Although I told them I wasn't interested and was going to shop around some more, she kept hounding me to leave a deposit in case I wanted to come back for BM or MOB dresses. Too pushy IMO.

Tara & Jose 10.17.10
  • Options
    real dealreal deal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've had a great experience with them. The cranky old lady is actually the owner. I'm pretty sure of that. I worked with Mary to pick out my dress and Maria Costa for the (major) alterations. My dress was aroud the same price as any other place too. Sorry to hear what's happened to you.
  • Options
    lisaallen80lisaallen80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I purchased my dress there and had a great experience.  The old lady at the front IS ROMA. She is a little nasty, but if you can put that behind you, its not a bad place.  My dress was actually much less here than at Klienfelds in the city. The alterations were amazing too!
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh... old lady I think has alzheimers... I literally must have told her 10 times that I was going to look at bm dresses while waiting for my mom before she understood. And then she called next door to ask if I was still there like 5 minutes later! And those women have been working there FOREVER and I think are technically family, so they feel like they own the store too.
  • Options
    real dealreal deal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If at all you think about going back to Roma (in person is better than dealing over the phone), I'd go in, try a dress on, and work with the sales girl versus the woman in the front. I got 10% disc. plus more after visiting 3 times so I am sure everything is negotable. I just had better success with the sales girl than Roma and her sidekick. And I have to say, alterations can be really, really expensive. if they are built into the price, I kind of feel like at least I can ask (and get) whatever I ask for without counting nickles and dimes. I find it better for myself not to have to keep asking "how much is this alteration?"
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    ugh hate that place!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards