New Jersey
Options

Snacks that go well with beer

FI and some of his friends are really into beer as a hobby. I mean, tasting the fancy beers that you get from Belgium and stuff, not just pounding back can after can of Bud Light :PSo we're hosting a beer-tasting GTG for some friends this week. What kinds of things do you like to eat when you're drinking beer? It's not going to be a fancy party, just a backyard BBQ. Here are some ideas so far:* fresh mozarella with roasted red pepper strips* assorted cheese cubes and crackers* soft, hot pretzels (homemade)* hummus* corn and black bean salsa w/ corn chips* grilled bratwurst and sausages, maybe hot dogs, and veggie burgers if the vegetarian friends comeI might make buffalo wings as well. Maybe get some peanuts, too. Anything else you might crave when you're having a beer?

Re: Snacks that go well with beer

• Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Peanuts.The food all sounds good, but I don't really think of hummus or fresh moz going with beer.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    jtheissjtheiss member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mmmmmm, bratwurst! I'm originally from Wisconsin and I miss my bratwurst on the grill. Don't forget the sauerkraut!
  • Options
    dominoe611dominoe611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i always associate chili with beer - i guess because i put beer in it when i make it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    mmm...Soft Pretzels.  Not sure if there is a Philadelphia Soft Pretzel in Jersey City yet, but they do a really nice party platter.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    pizza! make some pizza on the grill! delicious!
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    agreed good call on the brats!  jtheiss - i am a packers fan and i  go to GB every year for a game with my family.  i start craving brats as soon as i step off the plane!
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I hear ya, Tiff. There may be some people there who aren't really into the beers (myself included) so I should've specified that not everything has to be beer-friendly. Funny story, FI really wants the cheese because we went to a fancy restaurant in AC (in the Borgata) and the fresh mozz/peppers was the appetizer. We went with 2 other friends, paid over $20 for it and we each got about half a mouthful. So I think he's wanted a regular-size portion since then, lol.
  • Options
    jtheissjtheiss member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Woohoo! Go Pack Go! It breaks my heart to see Favre in a Vikings jersey this season. What a traitor! :P But I agree, I have brats every time I go home to visit. Nothing beats a Johnsonville brat!
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very good pizza tends to go well with beer too.But it really, really, really depends on what kind of beer you're having.  It is like wine-- it isn't one food fits all.  You need to consider how heavy, sweet, bitter, etc. the beers they'll be trying are.http://www.saveur.com/article/Wine-and-Drink/Beer-Pairingshttp://www.starchefs.com/product_education/beer-and-food-pairing/html/index.shtmlhttp://www.savorcraftbeer.com/beers.html
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Absolutely soft pretzels and brats -- that would be all I would need!if you don't make buffalo wings you can buy chicken tender strips to heat in the oven.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i know - it is so weird, i hate that purple jersey!  we are actually going to the vikes-packers game on nov 1.  should be a lot of fun!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ribs and nachos come to mind.
  • Options
    SinthyaSinthya member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1 can of Nacho Cheese cream soup1 package of cream cheese1 log of Jimmy Dean Sausage [I used the Hot flavor]1 can of Diced tomatoes [drained – I used Rotel diced tomatoes with mild chiles]Brown the sausage – put all ingredients in the crock pot and heat up…(or stovetop)…get your Tortilla chips and you’re good to go
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, uppereast, those websites are really helpful :) I'll pass them on to FI. He gets a lot of beer and bar recommendations from ratebeer.com, so IDK if he was looking on there for food pairing recommendations too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sin - that sounds delicious!  Do you crumble up the sausage or just cut up the links?
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    7 layer dip every sunday at my sisters for football she has this I hate guacamole but scarf this down like its going out of style
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should check out zumschneider in the city when Octoberfest comes.  It's a dive but fun.Not sure if the German Beer Festival is still going on, I went last week.www.zumschnieder.com
  • Options
    SinthyaSinthya member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    crumble crumble, for me the finer the better
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     I like potato skins with my beer.  Bratwurst is good too.  And wings.
    Holly & Brendan
    Wedding date 10/8/10
    EDD 5/9/13 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    SlidersNachos
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto pizza on the grill.  Its fabulous.  You could even pregrill the one side of mni pizzas and then have everyone put on their own toppings from a pizza topping bar.  Mmmmm...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOVE the pizza topping bar idea!
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I want pizza & pretzels right now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Butter popcorn - I know this is basic - I love sitting at the bar eating popcorn with my beer! I love your ideas above.  You could also add a crab meltaway -yummy, or cheese fries (gourmet style with funky cheeses) and honeymustard dip -Can I come ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     there is also a really good dip (layered) with chicken - (pulled) with buffallo sauce and cream cheese and cheese layers - soo good with tortilla's. 
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all! Now I'm starving, lol.
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the grilled pizza idea a lot, because they can be done very gourmet.If you're doing Belgian beers, have you thought about having Belgian bar foods, like mussels and frites?  I would probably shy away from the typical American Super Bowl Sunday stuff if you're trying to make this a party that pairs with good Belgians rather than cans of Bud Light...
  • Options
    VoltinxiVoltinxi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yummmmm I agree with soft pretzels and potato skins
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Defly love nachos and pizza with beer. Along with the classics of buffalo wings.... yummm I am hungry now :)
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    can i come?!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards