North Carolina
Options

Honeymoon - Using a Travel Agent

What is your opinion on using a travel agent for your honeymoon? Is it better than doing it yourself?  I'm not sure which way to go.  Any advice?  Any suggestions for a travel agent in Charlotte?

Re: Honeymoon - Using a Travel Agent

• Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitley recommend using one. It saved us a lot of time & money. We met with a local one & we were not impressed at all. I went on the HM board & a lot of the girls over there recommended VIP vacations. I don't remember where they're located. DH handled the HM planning but he spoke to Jennifer via phone & e-mail several times to plan our HM. We were very happy with her & she was much more informed than the local agent we met with. GL!
  • Options
    uncbamberuncbamber member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definitely recommend using one.  I worked at one for 3 years and handled way too many phone calls from couples who planned a honeymoon themselves, then when they got to the airport/resort/wherever something wasn't right and they'd call in a panic wanting one of our agents to fix it for them.  If you go with an agent they are available whenever you need them and their job is to professionally arrange trips-- you don't have to worry about any random or unknown loose ends.

I worked at Accent Professional Travel based in Mount Airy, NC, and the ladies there are wonderful. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Same as Krystal, FI planned ours and used Jennifer at VIP after I read all the rave reviews from the Honeymoon Boards.  He was overwhelmed but she helped narrow down his choices, and even stayed below our budget.  She was prompt and very helpful!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on where you are going.  We are going to Europe, and decided to use an agent based on lots of reviews on here...lately we've had some issues with the agent not being able to et us information (and her "source" is a website) and basically refusing to give us a breakddown of the cost of our trip -- so we have never been able to compare to be sure we are not getting charged a fee or screwed or anything. (and the more I look at what we paid the agent vs. the hotel prices on their websites, the more I think we got screwed)  So basically ---- I have recently learned that if you are going to use an agent, at least get a couple quotes from different agents, and be sure they will give you an itemization of what you are paying for, especially if you go somewhere that doesn't accept US dollars.

If you are planning on going to a resort, or just staying at one hotel, it is easy to compare prices you can get yourself versus from the travel agent.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are thinking about using Costco Travel.
    TTC#1 since April 2011
    IVF#1 July 2012 5R, 3 made it to blast, sET BFN
    FET#1 Aug 2012 2 blasts transferred BFN
    IVF#2 Oct 2012
    16R/6M/6F
    Beta 1-237.9, Beta 2-566, Beta 3-8657
    US 6w3d shows one baby w/ HB 115
    US 7w1d no more heartbeat/ D&C 11/30/12 normal karyotype
    IVF#3 Mar 2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are uncomfortable planning on your own or don't have enough time to research, then use an agent.  I planned on my own our entire 10 trip to Costa Rica and it was fantastic! But I did lots of research. Trip advisor was my best friend.  So I knew I was making the right choice when I booked something.  Not to mention I found great deals and was able to plan exactly what we wanted to do.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i agree that it depends on where you're going. we actually compared quotes from travel agents (mann travels and aaa) for our HM- just taking an RC cruise- and they weren't any less.

we haven't planned our excursions though, and I  may call the agents back and see if they could rec...at the same time, i've been using what everyone else has said on the boards too!
    image122 Made the list!
    image 89 Are ready to party!
    image 11 Will be missing out!
    image 22 Can't find the mailbox!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i'm using a family friend who is a TA (Millstream Travel).  PM me if you want her name/number.  We are going to Italy so it was important we used someone who knew the area well and has been several times.  So far comparing prices to the online prices, we are coming out waaaayyy better using her and I feel more confident with my choices in hotels.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used a TA and everything worked out wonderfully!!!  I would definitely recommend using one to save you all the legwork of researching everything yourself.

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards