New Jersey
Options

Drinking at a shower?

Do you have to provide liquor at a shower? My gut says no... but Bride's sister says yes. Thoughts?

Re: Drinking at a shower?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a brunch...we had mimosas.  That was it.
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if its brunch you can do mimosas or something like that. I wouldn't have a full bar but something like that might be nice. I don't drink but I know others appreciate it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sangria is a nice option too.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Every night I prayed for you. Then when you were in my belly, I prayed harder. Now that you're in my arms, I pray even harder.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They had a sparkling punch for me - I think pink lemonade with champagne or something along those lines.  Those that wanted mixed drinks got up and went to the bar which I thought was fine since it was only 4 people out of 35.
  • Options
    MyeMye
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i had sangria, white and red wine, beer also available but no one had it
  • Options
    vanessapodunkvanessapodunk member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depending on the type of party, mimosas, punch, sangria or any other wine seem appropriate and lady-ish. Definitely not necessary though. I wouldnt expect it at a shower and I wouldnt be disappointed without it.
  • Options
    vanessapodunkvanessapodunk member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and we had mimosas only at mine since it was a brunch.
  • Options
    melissa721melissa721 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We had mimosas.

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks 

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

TFAS since February 2013--BFP on cycle 1!

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

SA #1 - Slightly abnormal shape, #2 - very low count

Follistim + IUI 3x = BFN, BFN, very late BFP with super low progesterone --> c/p

Moving on to long protocol IVF with ICSI and PGS in August 2014...how in the holy hell did I get here? FU 2IF.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I had wines, champagne, and limited open bar.  I was aainst it at first and wWhen I asked this question on here the majority said absolutely.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would think just wine is fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the mimosas, but I think we're doing an afternoon thing. I think wine and beer is okay. Sangria is right up her alley. But not open bar lets party and get sloshed. There are going to be older women and children there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Obviously I'm not throwing my own shower (since I have no clue) but if I was to throw there would be alcohol, showers are boring and I always want some alcohol, now whether I pay for it myself as a guest or not doesn't matter. I've been to showers as a guest with no option of alcohol and have been mad lol. So I think always have the option cash bar or wine or something not an issue I would gladly pay myself.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    personal preference, but I've only ever been to one shower that didn't.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think having a cash bar is much worse than not having alcohol. If you have at least one thing (wine, sangria, mimosa, etc.)than that is good. IMO:)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i totally agree with all the alcoholics above ;) In all seriousness, I think you should have a little something, (love mimosa and sangria ideas) but I don't think a full bar is necessary at all.  I also agree with cheryl about paying rather than nothing -
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FYI - Not throwing my own shower - MOH is getting married two months before me, so we're planning hers!
  • Options
    kathymariekathymarie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we had sangria, pomegranate cosmos, red wine, & white wine. I don't think it is necessary at all, but sometimes a little wine or something is nice.
    Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh jaime no I wasn't saying you were, I was just saying I don't know what's at my shower I totally disagree on "cash bar is worse than nothing" personally I don't care if I have to pay as a guest. I have a lot of non-wine/champagne drinkers in my life
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours was at a restaurant and so Mom and Dad offered the bar to anyone.  Most did not actually drink, but I have a few family members who would not be happy if there wasn't alcohol at least available.I think wine, sangria or punch is nice.  
  • Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No alcohol at a shower?  I don't drink that often, but I think it is appropriate to have something.  Seriously, we need something to get us through the 2 hours of gift opening!  I agree with Cheryl, I would have no problem paying for a drink myself.  A full bar is def. not neccessary though - wine, sangria, punch - they all work. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't have a problem paying the few bucks for a drink as a guest. I do think it is tacky to have a cash bar on behalf of the host. Again, that is totally my opinion!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No I think I agree with everyone. We will likely do wine and sangria. I just think the open bar would drive up the price a lot, and it's not necessary.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wine and Sangria would be perfect, I would be happy but thats because those are my favorite.  Whats your MOH's favs?  I would use that if you could.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think an open bar is necessary at all, but having some option would be nice, it just makes it seem like more of a party/social atmosphere.
  • Options
    mylittleray02mylittleray02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else! I would hope you weren't planning your own! haha  :)
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    edited December 2011
    yes.  open bar is necessary to get through that_crap.  expensive, but yes.
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    edited December 2011
    my sister is on here and i won't terrify her with $ details but her bar tab was HUGE.  i assume mine wasn't that great either.  but our guests were happy, as i hope both of we were.
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    I usually drink wine at showers.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    To me, it would be a must - you would just choose your options based on the time of the event we had sangria and wine for a lunch/early dinner
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards