New Jersey
Options

Saddest website ever

I was looking at friends wedding pics, and at the bottom there is a link for a organization that the photog is part of, called "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep" - photogs volunteer to take pics of babies who are going to die/have died shortly after birth....Some of the pics are kind of disturbinghttp://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/stories/

Re: Saddest website ever

• Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    omg.  But there is another aspect of pregnancy and birth. There is an unexpected place in this journey where some families may find themselves. When a baby dies, a world is turned upside down. There is confusion, sadness, fear, and uncertainty that cannot be explained. There is sorrow where there should have been joy. During this time, it might be impossible for families to know what they might need in order to heal in the future. This is the place where the Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep Foundation gently provides a helping hand and a healing heart. For families overcome by grief and pain, the idea of photographing their baby may not immediately occur to them. Offering gentle and beautiful photography services in a compassionate and sensitive manner is the heart of this organization. The soft, gentle heirloom photographs of these beautiful babies are an important part of the healing process. They allow families to honor and cherish their babies, and share the spirits of their lives.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we had a"still missed " program at the Labor and Delivery unit I used to work at.... when my niece died at birth they did this for them also and it really helped my brother and his wife get through it because then she is not just a "memory" ....I actually wish more hospitals offered it because when I worked at L&D at St Barnabas they didnt...they also would take the pictures in clothing and cut some hair for the parents even if they didnt want it right away and some people came back a year or so later and were happy to have that
    Hold On ....Michael Buble
    MTHFR 2 copies of C677t mutation homozygous 2/2010
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby A born via c-section 1/10/12 @38w3d
    BFP #1 11/4/09 m/c 4w3d baby crab
    BFP #2 12/4/09 m/c 9w3d baby lion
    BFP #3 7/1/10 m/c 4w1d baby fish
    BFP #4 5/8/11
    BFP #5 8/17/12 10dpo beta 7
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    although the pics the family has are in an album that is not out in the open it was just for us family and being that I was here and not in Illinois when it happened it actually helped me to grieve to also see the pics
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP #4 5/8/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow -- that is so sad that I cannot even come up with an opinion as the whether I would do this or not.  All I can come with is an overwhelming feeling of compassion and sadness
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my father is also a photog for them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah some of those pictures are disturbing the ones we had were mostly black and white...I guess because I did see it on a pretty regular basis in L&D you dont get used to it but it was more about taking care of the family and what they wanted ... its an awful thing to have happen but I dont think people realize how much it does happen everyday
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP #4 5/8/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is the saddest thing I have ever seen.  I can't even comprehend - not sure If I would want, but couldn't judge someone for doing it. I have never heard of this-
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    its very sad, i dont know whether or not id be open to this since i have never been put in that situation.  somethings tells me maybe i would, to have the memory captured, no matter how painful.  but i can see how some would think this is crazy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It so sad to watch a family suffer like that. :'(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    some of those pics are disturbing
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah Brad they are but I think being a person whos family went through it it can be very helpful in the grieving process....I dont think necessarily posting them on a website but some people need to have that to look at down the road
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP #4 5/8/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    After reading the replys, I can't bring myself to look at the site.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree. I almost clicked on it but I cant.

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~
    imageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickersimage
    5/9/09: Plans, Pics, F/S 11/10/10: BFP Chart Baby Ds Stuff & Coupons!! WTH has Obama done so far!?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The concept is amazing, really kind of beautiful in that it helps people heal...but it just breaks my heart :[
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had this happen to someone I know and I know losing their baby was the hardest thing they had to go through.  I think its great that there are photographers out there who give their time to this for those families to have pictures to hold on to. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jen yes some of it is great, but dont take pics if your kid died after 5 months and looks nothing like a child, that is just wrong.  Most of them were nice and I felt really bad, but dont take pics if you cant even tell that it was a person.
  • Options
    DiorAndKissesDiorAndKisses member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Seabass and Mrs. Davis, I know a couple who have pics of their baby who was a stillborn in the house. I can't look at that site though, too heartbreaking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards