New Jersey
Options

Sketchy Job???

One of my good friends was over last night and she was telling us about this "job interview" (all online) that she went on before she came over. She found an ad on Craigslist for like $28/hr for essentially a "data entry" job. But they want her to buy some type of software from their vendor for like $400 and pay for it via Moneygram (and she'd supposedly be reimbursed). And then for her pay for performing the data entry they'd want her BANK ACCT info for her "direct deposit" or her home address to mail the check. I think this sounds sooooooooooo sketchy. I know her husband thinks so also. But she was LEGITIMATELY trying to convince us that it's a real job, she really seemed to be considering it. I don't buy it at all. I tried to google it to see about a scam like this but couldn't find anything. I would not do it. Has anyone done this before or know anyone that has???

Re: Sketchy Job???

• Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would be SHOCKED if that wasn't a scam.  And illegal.
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can't believe people fall for this stuff.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Even if it wasn't a scam, which it probably is, why would she want to pay her employer $400 for software she needs to do her job?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Nigerian Prince, British Lottery
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    this sounds like one of those spam emails you get claiming you won the british lottery...just give them your bank account number and they'll transfer the winning! ya right!
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How can anyone even fall for that??
    imageAnniversary Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I saw something on the news about this EXACT scam! Tell your friend to stay far away!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have no idea why people go for that, or my friend for that matter, but she was seriously thinking about it. It is DEF a scam, there's no way it's not.... I mean I know she's been out of work for a while, but come on there's no way this is legit.
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    GREED I saw this news program and there were people who were scammed multiple times! Like could you imagine being scammed like this, and then signing up for something else? They don't learn their lesson. A ton of the people scammed by the Nigerian Bank Scam were doctors, lawyers, politicians. All educated/wealthy people who should definitely know better!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's pretty obvious it's a sheme. I just found this on the Better Business Bureau website which I fully plan to share with her.... "NOT YOUR TYPE" The home typing scheme In this scheme, a company claims to need home-based workers to help with clerical tasks, such as typing or data entry. Some claim that you can make over $500 a week. The company requires you to pay processing fees either as an application fee or for special software, ranging from $25 to $250, often in the form of cash or money orders. Often you are not employed by these companies, but instead, they send you a booklet of information about how to start your career as a typist, where you do all the legwork. Others send you lists of companies that outsource typing or data entry work. After you call the companies on the list, they will tell you they have never heard of the list and do not hire work-at-home typists. Legitimate clerical outsourcing firms do not require application fees and do not require that you pay for special software. Do not be fooled into thinking that you need to pay a fee to get a job. Also, very few companies outsource clerical work
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    edited December 2011
    wow your friend is an idiot.  sorry!  moneygram is not insured (like paypal) and you are basically thowing your funds down the drain to some scammer. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards