New Jersey
Options

WDYT? Bouquet Toss/Garter Toss

Since I don't have many single friends, and the ones I do have will probably let the bouquet drop to the floor and walk away, and I don't want to "call out people" for being single as some see it and I am not big on the anniversary dance.  What do you think of this.Having my DJ tell everyone that its not the "traditional single girl/guy" toss.  Just a toss to see who catches, no putting the garter on the girl who caught etc.  So I can still do my toss and no one feels "called out" or uncomfortable.WDYT?

Re: WDYT? Bouquet Toss/Garter Toss

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you should just do the girl toss of the bouquet and leave out the garter toss if your not going to do the combo.  I feel like the bouquet toss is tradition and has more meaning than the garter toss?  Besides, any girl who isn't married should go up.  I have never seen the bouquet left on the floor - and people go up even if they aren't thrilled abou it :)
  • Options
    goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    You don't have to do either the bouquet or anniversary dance.   We didn't do either as we didn't have many single friends and I didn't want to do the anniversary dance either.   It was actually a good friend of mine from work's anniversary.  She has been married for 38 years and came to the wedding on her anniversary, so I gave her the toss bouquet.  She loved it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sad part is Kristin, I have seen it left on the floor, and a few of my friends who are invited to my wedding, have done it. this was the setting (I was engaged so I didn't go up) forced to go up for toss, toss happens, no one raises to even pretend to catch, bouquet winds up on floor, all girls walked away.  If that happens at my wedding I might just hit someone with it! :) The garter toss we aren't too concerned about, we don't mind not doing that, I just really really want to do my toss! LOL (stomps feet and regresses to 5 years old)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ok - that sux - why would girls be soo nasty to leave it!! I am stomping feet for you.  Ok here is what you do - you bully one of your bridesmaids to catch that bouquet :)  Seriously, tell one of them to catch and that you won't be doing garter toss so no worries for them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL, your so cute Kristin, I really don't want to call anyone out, I always know how it felt when I was single, but I never ever sat out, I just got up and did it because it was important to the bride.  I once got elbowed in the eye and i wasn't even trying to catch it! LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I feel the same way about getting up to for bride, but secretly always wanted to catch it ;)  Me and FI's first real date was at a wedding and I caught bouquet and he tackled garter LOL.  I think we should form a secret Knottie bouquet committee.  We will be radio'ed (sp) for the toss time, we will run in catch bouquet and dissapear. Actually, couldn't you throw the bouquet when you leave the church to anyone (married or not) to catch?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're engaged you're not supposed to go up? oops. lol. I can't believe those girls wouldn't have tried to catch it? I mean, you're already standing up there... I like the pp idea of telling someone to catch it. No one has to know you asked her... just tell her how important it is to you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No oops Jaime!  I just didn't there were a lot of single just dating bf for a long time in the crowd lol.   I like that idea too, and if there is someone who is going to want to catch it all is good :)
  • Options
    Denise91980Denise91980 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My sister did something similar, but she had single guys and girls up to catch both, and whoever caught the bouquet or garter, got a bottle of champagne....there was none of the embarassing putting the garter on someone else's leg....It was funny and quite competitive for the guys and girls....FYI...my FI caught the bouquet and it was hilarious...lol
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really like that idea Denise- that way it's not a group of girls up there by themselves -it becomes a fun social thing -
  • Options
    Denise91980Denise91980 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It was fun and became a little competitive between the guys and the girls....and I didn't have to catch it because my FI did....he was busted on for the rest of the night...but he was so excited to catch it...lol
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    LarissaAnnLarissaAnn member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds fine, but unnecessary. We skipped the bouquet/garter all together and didn't do an anniversary dance. It just wasn't part of the reception at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like denises idea too gonna run it by fi, my issue is I want to do it, I know I totally could leave both out!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm weird like that larissa, so many things I'm fine with leaving out, but for some reason every time I say I'm gonna leave the toss out I get weird about it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I completely understand Cheryl - I want to toss my bouquet too! And I don't think we'll have so many single ladies either. I like the idea of guys and girls. You know a guy would catch it. haaa
  • Options
    chrissy31805chrissy31805 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    giving out a bottle of champagne is such a good idea for that! i was also thinking of what to do b/c i really want to throw the bouquet and alot of my friends are married. so i just went thru the guest list and figured that i would have a lot of single girls - FI's friends gf/dates, older cousins, and a few friends. so im gonna do it. i just hope my 19 yr old cousin doesnt catch it and one of my FI's 30 year old friends catches the garter. in that case, we will definately not have him put the garter on her! Lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you want to do the toss, then its your day and I suggest you do it! What if you ask one of your friends who you know would want it or someone who likes attention to grab it. This way you get what you want! I cant believe that someone would just leave it on the floor! At my friends wedding in may, the DJ made an announcement for even the engaged girls to go up cause technically you arent married yet. I just stood in the back because I didnt want to take away someone elses chance.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea, I think I am still going to do it, I always hear so many complaints, but your right jersey it is my day lol, :)How was your fitting??? BTW?
  • Options
    DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was at my cousin's wedding 2 weeks ago. They just did the bouquet toss. There was no garter removal and toss.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    idk, that is kinda weird, why not just skip it all together?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards