Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ordination Laws

Does anyone know where to find the legal requirements for ordination in the state of illinois?  I'd like to have a family member marry us but I want to be sure it's legal too. 

Re: Ordination Laws

• Options
    well I found this... not sure it helps or not though...    In a nutshell:  Ordained ministers, judges, retired judges, and public officials whose powers include solemnization of marriages    (750 ILCS 5/209) (from Ch. 40, par. 209) Sec. 209. Solemnization and Registration.) (a) A marriage may be solemnized by a judge of a court of record, by a retired judge of a court of record, unless the retired judge was removed from office by the Judicial Inquiry Board, except that a retired judge shall not receive any compensation from the State, a county or any unit of local government in return for the solemnization of a marriage and there shall be no effect upon any pension benefits conferred by the Judges Retirement System of Illinois, by a judge of the Court of Claims, by a county clerk in counties having 2,000,000 or more inhabitants, by a public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages, or in accordance with the prescriptions of any religious denomination, Indian Nation or Tribe or Native Group, provided that when such prescriptions require an officiant, the officiant be in good standing with his religious denomination, Indian Nation or Tribe or Native Group. Either the person solemnizing the marriage, or, if no individual acting alone solemnized the marriage, both parties to the marriage, shall complete the marriage certificate form and forward it to the county clerk within 10 days after such marriage is solemnized.  This is the site I got that from http://performawedding.com/Officiant_Laws.html
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I called CCC and they were less than helpful, surprise surprise.  I think pretty much anyone can marry you in IL which is both helpful and a little freaky.  If I find out more I'll share for all. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards