New Jersey

S/O to Irene's confession - property taxes

Re: S/O to Irene's confession - property taxes

• edited December 2011
    Interesting.... DH and I are attempting to move to Hunterdon County and I was blown away by  how high property taxes were, and it is interesting to see that they are the #3. 
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    This hurts my heart.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for the clicky, cknud! :)
  • edited December 2011
    You could always move to Cumberland County, #97 on the list :)
  • cknud112cknud112 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're welcome.  This hurts me too since we are currently residing in Westchester and have been considering buying there.  Yikes.  Might have to reconsider.
  • edited December 2011
    As nauseating as it is to see my county near the top of that list, when I scroll down to the bottom and see that in Apache County Arizona the median combined income for a household is $24,387 it makes me feel better. I mean housing may be cheaper there but a luxury car, designer clothing, gourmet meals, etc are still going to cost about the same. So while you may get an upgrade in your living conditions you may have to adjust the rest of your lifestyle, so it all balances out.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is very true, Seabass... it's all relative.
  • edited December 2011
    I am at 1.9% of my home value according to this.  I looked up my brother in Utah.  He is at .009%.   He is also at 2.97% as percent of income and I am at 8.7%.  That is crazy.  I need to move. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yes the property taxes as a function of income is interesting. My county is 27th or 6.1% (and 24th overall). The median income compared to our household income is comparable, yet our property taxes are $9300 compared to the county average of $5490. Typing that out makes me think YIKES!
  • Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would like to throw up and move out of new jersey.
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Interesting that NY County is 43-- finally something we aren't disgustingly high on! Except that the average home price is $873,000 and the average homeowner makes $150,000 a year.  (Also, city income taxes probably more than make up for the difference)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    uppereast... definitely on the city tax.  plus, it's apples and oranges to compare nyc b/c of property/space/maintenance fees, etc.  just a different animal.
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I forgot about maintenance fees (I think because I've resigned myself to thinking that even though we're a lawyer/accountant couple so in theory we should be financially comfortable, it will be about 100 years before we can afford an apartment we'd actually want to live in/stomach buying so little for so much.)
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, these charts make you realize that the prices can go no where but down.  You see average home prices that are WAY higher than the average salaries of the people living there can afford......so in order to sell property in a given town, richer people need to move in,and once those people run scarce, the rest of the area won't be able to afford those prices making those salaries.  I think in  Alpine I saw the average home price was 2-5 million but the average household salary was only like 200K....no way!  Most people in a given area have been there a long time and bought in before prices really rocketed.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • edited December 2011
    ha!  Hunterdon County is, once again, NJ's highest taxed county :-)  But I can say from experience (since I grew up there) that the school districts in hunterdon are very good.
    Holly & Brendan
    Wedding date 10/8/10
    EDD 5/9/13 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • simplyceesimplycee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My daughter and her fiance just contracted to buy a house in Union Cty, NC, which is ranked 473 on this list. And yes, salaries are lower there, but considering their 1800 sq foot, 3 BR home is costing $150,000, with annual property taxes of $1200, earning $35,000 as a 2nd year elementary teacher puts her in a much better financial position than if she lived in Jersey.I've been out of work for 11 months, and if I don't find a job soon, I'm very seriously thinking of selling my house (sadly, at a loss) and moving down there.
  • alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    rockland county baby, #5 only!  im suprised.  where is manhattan, brooklyn, on this list?  i am not 100% what this says....
  • alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    whoops nm i see it under ny county.  i havent done a deal there in awhile and forgot the name lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards