North Carolina
Options

Help! I need location ideas!

Hey ladies, I need your help! I am trying my best to find a good location for my Southern Fairytale wedding, but I'm coming up empty. I am near Winston-Salem, NC, and would like to stay pretty close to home because it is a good central point for my family members that live east and my FH family that is from southern VA. I had been dreaming of Cody Creek, near Dobson, but as our guest list grew, that dream disappeared as the chapel will only hold around 75. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Help! I need location ideas!

• Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    How many people does it need to accommodate?

What's your budget?

How far from WS are you willing to travel?

What type of venue do you imagine?

Does it need to allow outside catering or any other specifics?
  • Options
    fionnandlaurafionnandlaura member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am from Winston-Salem, and live in Mount Airy, so I know Cody Creek.  What I ended up doing is having my wedding in the church I grew up at in W-S, which is about 5 min. from Wake Forest University and the reception there....my wedding is weekend after next so we will see how it goes.  Churches usually aren't very expensive so you can spend money on the reception.  I scouted a few places, including Chateau Morrisette in southwest VA...that was the runner up.  I have seen photos of a beautiful wedding at Fisher River park in Surry County.  Good luck with the hunting!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_need-location-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:28171cd6-8155-43b6-a035-fc3f2d04889ePost:e39709da-93eb-4e6b-8420-47db55596feb">Re: Help! I need location ideas!</a>:
    [QUOTE]How many people does it need to accommodate? What's your budget? How far from WS are you willing to travel? What type of venue do you imagine? Does it need to allow outside catering or any other specifics?
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

<div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#ff00ff">Okay, I have around 150 people on the list so far.</font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#ff00ff">
    </font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#ff00ff">Budget is a forced to be reckoned with. We were looking at less expensive places, but a family member mentioned Graylyn Estate and we started reconsidering. I think now we're at the "If princess wants it, we'll find some way to make it happen" decision.</font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#ff00ff">
    </font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#ff00ff">I'm actually in Yadkin County, about 20 mins from WS already, but I'm willing to go a bit further. I don't want to go so far away that hotels are necessary though.(Had considered Chateau Morrisette, FH's fam is about 10 mins from there.)</font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#ff00ff">
    </font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#ff00ff">I think possibly an outdoor wedding with a tent or something similar. I'm having a Southern Fairytale wedding, with more toward the princess-y type theme, but with a country twist on it. Had looked at Castle McCulloch, but looks to dank and dark for a summer time wedding.</font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#ff00ff">
    </font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#ff00ff">Thanks for helping. Your questions actually made me reconsider what I'd thought I wanted. lol. :)</font></div>
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree about Castle McCulloch.

I think a vineyard would be nice, it'll be pretty in the summer.  And you should be able to find many around Yadkin Co. (Allison Oaks, Sanders Ridge, Hanover Park, Brandon Hills, Buck Shoals, Flint Hill (my favorite NC - this one is an old farmhouse with a great restaurant inside) I'm not sure if they all have event spaces)  If you want to go as far as Lexington (which would be closer than Castle McCulloch) Childress Vineyard is nice (and has a hotel next door).  

Check out this map for vineyards in the area: http://www.visitncwine.com/wineries/piedmont
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the help! :) I hadn't even thought to ask about Flint Hill...I live 5 minutes from there and my uncles went to school wioth the man who owns it. He's been a good family friend for years! I'll definitely look into some of these places, and will definitely ask about Flint Hill. The yellow house would be perfect with the pink and Tiffany blue that I want!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    bg75133bg75133 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should check out the Blowing Rock area. It is a little less know, but an absolutly stunning area of North Carolina. I am attending a wedding show there November 18th-20th. They are actually transporting to different venues for tours! You should check out the show's website http://www.weddingshowofthencmtns.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards