New Jersey
Options

anyone work nights?

i'm off to work soon and wanted to know who else shares in the misery. and how you work your way around the night shift and planning a wedding

Re: anyone work nights?

• Options
    Denise91980Denise91980 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I work til 9 two nights a week...I feel your pain!
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    calicchccalicchc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i know! i work 7p-7a. its hard hard hard! lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ouch! You got me beat...I do 1-9 on Tuesdays and Thursdays and I hate it. Which is why I'm on here those days alot to pass time.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
  • Options
    Amerz20Amerz20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I work until 9 two nights a week. It sucks, but sometimes I dont mind it because I feel I can get more stuff done before I go to work.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    calicchc , what do you do? I am alwaus curious when people have night jobs...sorry to be nosey
  • Options
    Amerz20Amerz20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dang 7-7 good for you girl! I could never do that!
  • Options
    calicchccalicchc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    no worries.. i'm an RN at a cancer hospital in manhattan. so i really leave my house at 6 and dont get home till 9. sometimes it really sucks
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ah ha..it all makes sense now...well I assume at least its very quiet at the hospital working the late shift
  • Options
    calicchccalicchc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i can only hope for quiet! i work on a busy floor lol. but overall yes its a slower pace. my only con is that i sleep during the day so i find that im doing wedding stuff all crammed into my days off
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I rarely stop working before 10-11 these days.  The few months leading up to the wedding were worse-- typically was working 8am - somewhere between 11 pm and 2am, and 8 hour days on weekends.  I basically corresponded with every vendor exclusively via email (which I preferred anyway) because I had no time to chat during the day.  I wouldn't have met with vendors during the week either way, so not having time during the evenings to meet with people didn't matter.The weekends were the harder part, particularly as the wedding approached.  It is hard to email a priest on Friday evening and tell him that you can't meet the next day after all because an emergency came up at work.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    which hospital are you affiliated with?  sloan?
  • Options
    calicchccalicchc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    uppereast those are crazy crazy hours. if you dont mind me asking what do you do?
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a lawyer.  It usually isn't that bad, but I was at trial.
  • Options
    calicchccalicchc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    erikag...yes i work at sloan. ive been there for 2ish years and been on nights for a year and 10 mos
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to do an oncall overnight shift a week if it makes you feel any better, so there are times when I work 1-9 and then I will be oncall from 9PM-8AM. Those nights suck and make it hard to sleep because I worry about getting a call and missing it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    a girl i went to college with is an rn at sloan, but i'm sure it is pretty big.
  • Options
    calicchccalicchc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it is pretty big... a couple of girls i work with are getting married and we joke that we r going to start a support group for night RN's planning a wedding... so if your friend is tell her to look me up! lol also i do on call once a month and its awful, so i feel your pain.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used to work 2 f/t jobs (at the same time) 1 fulltime nights 1 fulltime days one was a scrub tech in labor and delivery..I could never do nights again it screwed with my body too much now I work a f/t and a p/t but I dont think I am gonna stay at the p/t too long now that I am making more money and I love my new job
    Hold On ....Michael Buble
    MTHFR 2 copies of C677t mutation homozygous 2/2010
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby A born via c-section 1/10/12 @38w3d
    BFP #1 11/4/09 m/c 4w3d baby crab
    BFP #2 12/4/09 m/c 9w3d baby lion
    BFP #3 7/1/10 m/c 4w1d baby fish
    BFP #4 5/8/11
    BFP #5 8/17/12 10dpo beta 7
  • Options
    calicchccalicchc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thats great! i love hearing people love thier jobs. some days i do and some days i dont. today i dont
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    uppereast - what type of law do you practice?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jen, what's a scrub tech?
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh Chels I used to  scrub in on c-sections set up the sterile table ,hand instruments to the doctors ,gown and glove the doctors etc....
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP #4 5/8/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    aaah interesting...were you in there for the actual deliveries?
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    M&M -- I do litigation at a large firm.  I guess that would be general commercial/corporate litigation?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    absolutely! thats the one thing that scares me about getting pregnant..lol...I have seen so many deliveries I could probably to it myself...It was the most fun although there were many scary deliveries also
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP #4 5/8/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    uppereast - that makes sense now, when I heard the hours you were pulling, I wondered the type.....those hours seem crazy snd hectic...
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am excited.. We have a lawyer and a Dr. here.  Incase I need ya!  I can plan your events. LOL.
  • Options
    calicchccalicchc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lol bartering... i like it! page me if ya need me!
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bartering worked for the Native Americans. Ill take it! Lawyers and Dr's are expensive. So is good medical advice! Ill even do a 2fer.  Ill plan 2 events in exchange for 1 of xyz! LOL
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Usually it is not NEARLY as bad as what I was saying about before the wedding (and I've only been on a working until 10/11 kick for about a month or two now -- and I really don't start working until 10 am anyway).  The pre-wedding timing just sucked (except that it meant that I couldn't sweat the small stuff, which is good).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards