New Jersey
Options

Are you effin kidding me?

I'm watching that David Tutera wedding show right now - My Fair Wedding (which I don't even like don't ask why I'm watching it) anywho..I just saw a commercial for a 'new series' that they're going to be airing next week called 'Platinum Babies' and its all about having over the top totally ridic and overpriced baby showers!!!!!!!!!! C'mon already, this is just despicable ...thoughts?

Re: Are you effin kidding me?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I saw that commercial last week.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh geez...but I'm sure there are some ridiculous baby showers out there!
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Rediculous-
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Did you see the commercial about the budget for the nursery being 40k I almost choked!
  • Options
    kle0113kle0113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Unreal!  People will do anything for their 15 minutes of fame!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes Cheryl I did see that, I did choke What the FUKK is wrong with people? Maybe I'm just on another page or whatever, but in all honesty I couldn't sleep at night if I knew there were starving, abused, neglected, etc. children not only everywhere but especially right here in NJ, America, etc. and I spent $40K on my child's crib and god forsaken wallpaper - like really bytches donate some of that money you spent to a child who needs it if you care so much about baby belongings
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    While it is CERTAINLY well out of the realm of possibilities for me, I don't really care if some super rich people want to go on tv and have ridiculous baby showers. Why does a 40k baby shower disgust you when there are hungry kids in the world, but 1k shoes don't?
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally agree. When I read your post, my first thought was...why is it when so many people in America have so little, people feel the need flaunt it when they have so much??? 16 years from now those "Platinum Babies" will be starring in "My Super Sweet Sixteen." In a one-woman protest, I refuse to watch.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It just does disgust me...$40K on a crib is stupid especially because you are only going to use teh crib for a short while I've never in my life spent $1k on shoes, ever and don't think I ever would. The nearly $1k shoes that I do own were a gift to me
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    Kris- It's not an argument against your shoes, but you do see how to many people in the world that would also be seen as an excessive purchase
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am in no way condoning a 40K baby shower...but it goes back to the reversed snobbery post the other day.  Yes, a 40K shower is excessive, but a lot of people think a 40K wedding is too.Yes, it is "for" the baby technically, but it is really for the parents...so if they want some huge mega party, so be it.  And they could be very well giving plenty to charity and STILL afford it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Although I completely agree that it sounds absolutely ridiculous to me, I have to say to each there own. If they are spending 40k on a nursery/shower, they may be donating x amount to charity. No one knows what they are doing with their money. It's their money, if that's what they want to do with it. They didn't take it from me...that would be a different story and then I would have several opinions on where that money should go.You walk into Saks or Neiman and you see lots of people buying 1k+ shoes, I've never spent that much on a pair of shoes but I don't really judge them for it and I am sure some of those people have some really nursery's. Most of the time these people on any Platinum show annoy me bc I do think they make fools of themselves. It's amazing how people will act for their 15 minutes of fame.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha bridemaidpro, I just posted the same thing....yours is much more condensed though:)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What I don't understand is the point of it, 40k on a nursery, 1k shoes you wear, my nieces "nursery" aka room now has been changed in color like 3 times.I mean to each their own, but I couldn't imagine, even if I had that kind of money spending it on stupid stuff like that.  I do want to watch because I am sure they are going to be crazy soon to be moms with crazy attitudes.They are comparing them to bridezillas!
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm fine with people spending whatever they want on their cribs, wallpaper etc. -- but much like a wedding, I hope they had things in all price ranges on their registries for the blown out of proportion showers.Also, is anyone weirded out by how blown out of proportion christenings have become?  Maybe it is a Long Island thing (I don't know religious people in NJ or NYC who reproduce) but I have friends (who live on LI) who I swear to god at least once a month have to spend a weekend afternoon at a reception hall for someone's 100 person plus christening. That seems odd to me, because you're essentially asking 100 people (who will probably have given a shower gift, maybe a new baby gift, and maybe a first birthday gift) to give ANOTHER gift?  Close family and friends, absolutely.  Just doesn't seem like it needs to be a mini wedding.  (I'd chalk it up to culture, and maybe in some cases it is and that I understand,  but it seems like a recent trend so it maybe is spreading).
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    The night of my brothers wedding at the Westmount Country Club there was a christening in the larger room that has a 250 person minimum! These people were paying 200+ a head for a christening.It's far beyond my means, but I guess I'd rather go to a glitzed out christening that might actually be fun, than a typical luncheon.I think most of us could and should give more money to charity. It's all proportional.  Most of us also have our reasons for giving the amount we do.  I don't think there'd be less hungry kids in the world if people stopped spending ridiculous amounts of money on baby rooms.
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe I'm just not religious and in a less multi-generational phase of my life right now than some, but I just wouldn't think if I had a child that 250/100 people/30 people would want to spend their evening celebrating my child's christening.  The baby certainly doesn't care if that many people are there or not.  I don't like the somewhat large luncheons for these things either.  It isn't how much money people are spending that is offensive (although your point about charity is right, and maybe since a christening's entire point is religion, the money would be more appropriately spent on making a donation to the church or a charity rather than having an ostentatious, materialistic event)-- it is more that you're expecting a LOT of people to take time out of their weekend and buy a gift when they already have spent/will spend time/money on the shower, new baby gift, 1st birthday gift, first communion, confirmation, etc.  I was happy to go to my niece's christening (but only grandparents, aunts/uncles and the godparents were invited), but we all have limited time and it seems like the line needs to be drawn somewhere.
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    I personally would never throw a 250 person christening, but I don't know these people and know how big their family is, etc. I was just saying that if I HAD to be a guest at a christening I'd probably prefer the evening cocktail style with good food over a luncheon (being based off the big assumption that money is no obstacle and they want to spend 50k on a party).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards