North Carolina

Budget-friendly Caterer?

Help!

I'm getting married this October and so far, the planning is off to a great start! I am having issues finding a caterer that won't break our bank!

We are planning on 100 or so guests. Any suggestions for the Charlotte/Monroe area?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Budget-friendly Caterer?

• edited December 2011
    If you're open to this, you might also look for your budget per-head goal, and maybe that would get a few more suggestions that are where your budget is.  I am Durham area but have friends in Charlotte.  Lots of charlotte brides on here, so hope you can find what you're looking for!!!
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    Knottie Warrior 5000 Comments Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Like PP said, give us a number.  We don't know how big your bank is, so we don't know what won't break it.

Also, are you looking for a full dinner? heavy snacks? just cake? brunch?  Give us something to work with.
  • ahjaynesahjaynes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would like to keep it under $10 per person....not to sound cheap, but as cheap as possible! LOL!

Our wedding is at 4pm, so I know that we should do a dinner. However, I'm not convinced that we can afford to provide dinner for 100 people as much as I would love to! I'm thinking heavy snacks may be more affordable.

Bring on the suggestions!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If you do heavy hors d'oeuvres, you'll want to move your ceremony either earlier in the day or later on in the evening (8 or so), that way people aren't expecting dinner.
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    Knottie Warrior 5000 Comments Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree, if your reception is at a meal time, it would really be inappropriate to not serve a meal.

Have you considered a barbeque meal?  I've heard brides talk about that being a less expensive option.  I think you'll have a hard time serving enough food of any sort to be considered a meal for less than $10/pp.  Think about the places you'd go out to eat at the time your reception will be, would you expect to pay $10 for your meal?  Add on top of that the costs of hiring staff especially for your event, and providing plates, etc especially for your event and it's easy to see how the prices get higher quickly.

If you're determined to stick to your overall catering budget, you should consider changing your reception to a non-meal time, or lowering the number of guests you invite so you have a little more per person budget room.

ETA: we served a brunch for about $16/pp.  I found that to be about half the cost of full dinners that I was quoted, even without many menu choices. 
  • edited December 2011
    Im doing barbque for my wedding reception. We are having around 250 and the cost of the per person is right around 9.50 a person. This includes two meats, three veggies, all the fixings, tea, lemonade, and the forks, spoons etc. The caterer we decided to go with is well know in the Greensboro/High Point area. If you want more details just sent me a message! Im sure they would look into driving into the charlotte area. Its always a shot! Good luck! I know its really expensive when food is involved!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards