New Jersey
Options

Thoughts on reception venues - alternative yet inexpensive?

Hello, bride from Ocean County here. Sorry it's so long...

I was originally planning on having my wedding ballroom style, all inclusive, ceremony included, no hassle, everything arranged for me...etc. However, this isn't entirely how I envision my wedding to be, as it doesn't particularly reflect me or my fiance. I really like the idea of a vineyard, but I've been told that, contrary to what I was hoping, a vineyard will be more expensive than a ballroom. I am on a supertight budget, I really really want to keep it under 10,000 for everything - reception, ceremony, attire, etc. I'm considering doing the centerpieces myself and only ordering fresh flowers for like, my bouquet and the coursages and bouteniers. I've also wondered if perhaps I could find a barn type thing to rent out.

Of course, then I'd have to deal with rentals, caterers...all that stuff. Does anyone have any advice on any "alternative" venues in Jersey that are not expensive?

I've been engaged for over a year now, and haven't set a concrete day yet. In all honesty, in my heart, I feel that my ultimate goal of starting a home with the love of my life is more important than how extravagent my wedding day will be.

Re: Thoughts on reception venues - alternative yet inexpensive?

• Options
    10,000 Is going to be a tough budget.  How many people are you planning on?  I would say to look into off season months, but usually vineyards would be outside and you really don't want to do those in the winter time. 

What about an out of the box decorated place?  I'm thinking Cranburry Inn type, but none others come to mind at the moment.
  • Options
    It depends on how many guests you're thinking of inviting but what about Rutgers Gardens? They have a preferred caterer and it starts at about $80pp and they have a couple great spots for the ceremony and a pavilion (w/ or w/out tent-style walls depending on weather) for the reception. BUT the alcohol is separate from the catering price, and it's entirely outside.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    blueikaosblueikaos member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2012
    It all depends on how many people you are having.
    The Cranberry Inn as someone suggested before is quite expensive.
    We are renting the Knights Of Columbus in Spotswood for $500.
    The caterer that works out of there is Camelot Catering.  We are getting our whole wedding package (cocktail hour, open bar, buffet dinner (he offers sit down as well) linens, china, centerpieces and cake) for around $65 per person.

You can email me for more info if you want  becca0817 @ yahoo . com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Do you have a backyard or does someone you're close to have one? You could rent a tent and have a backyard wedding, and maybe have relatives cook, if they want to, and/or cater inexpensive food, like BBQ or something casual that everyone will love.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    A girlfriend of mine got married at this park in Kinnelon. I'm sure it's not ideal as far as location for you but maybe there's something in your area like it. They allow booze, she brought in a BBQ caterer and bought out all the permited areas for the day so she wouldn't have to share the space (I think there were like 10 spots at $15 ea. or something like that) and her wedding was under $7k. Don't know how she did it but it is possible! She said they had around 100 people.

http://www.morrisparks.net/aspparks/silasmain.asp
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're probably going to only invite between 70-90 people (90 is pushing it, I honestly don't think we even know 90 people we would want to invite). The appeal of the ballroom was the package and such. We got a quote from the Holiday Inn in Toms River and the total for the reception and ceremony would be $6500. That doesn't leave much room for photography, dj, and even homemade decor.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll look into that! I wonder if my mom as a Rutgers alumni might get me a discount. Just kidding :-P .....mostly.
  • Options
    $65 per person sounds awesome, thanks! I am kinda hoping that my uncle ,who has been a chef at local restaurants and has delivered fresh products all over will be able to get me a solid recommendation on some caterers . 
  • Options
    About the park, that might be viable option. My concerns with some of venues I might find will be renting tents, tables, seating...all that jazz. I worry that it could possibly backfire and end up costing more.
  • Options
    i dont' really have any suggestions as far as alternative venues, but if you don't mind planning your wedding in 6 months or less, and aren't picky about the date, most venues will significantly reduce the cost pp. and if you do it less than 6 months out in an off season, it's even lower.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    your budget is like mine, and i wanted something rustic like a barn as well.

i couldn't really find a barn and because i had catering concerns, i ended up going with a restaurant - mohawk house.  they do ceremonies and receptions, and i think their biggest room (which has a nice stone fireplace and high beamed ceilings) could handle your amount of guests. 

i also was considering doing the ceremony at a nice park (you could get a permit from the parks department) and then driving to a restaurant later, but ultimately i decided against that because my wedding is this august and it might be too hot to do an outdoor ceremony.

there should be other restuarants out there as well that could meet your needs.  or bed and breakfasts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards