New Jersey
Options

Florist Process

I think I am going to start looking into florists.  However, I feel completely lost when it comes to this.  What was the process you went through?  For instance when you went to each florist did they give you a pricing that day?  When was a mock table made up for you?  Did you need to know exact colors or just general colors.  I know my girls dresses will be some form of purple just not sure what shade yet.  I know this probably varies on the florist but just trying to get a general idea of what to expect!  TIA :)

Re: Florist Process

• Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Sit down and decide how much you want to spend, what colors, how many of each item you need (bouquets/bouts) and if you have a flower in mind.  Bring pictures to if you have.  Call a florist and make an appointment.  I got a quote after we disucssed what I wanted.  I know a lot of girls get mock ups. I did not bc it would be too expensive for the florist to show me with all the items I need.  I trust her bc I have seen her work before.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    quick question too- since im just starting this as well- what was more common: did you get an itemized quote for the florist or a general one? I have one general one and really would prefer itemized, but I dont want to ask if that isnt typical.
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My quote was itemized.

You don't need to know the exact purple of the dress. If you are planning on using purple flowers the girls dresses will never match exactly since the flowers are organic you never know exactly what shade a purple will be. Just pick dark/light and the types of flowers and you'll be fine.

I got pricing a few days later and I did not have a mock-up.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    2 of the florists gave me pricing that day, the third faxed over an estimate 2 days later.  I didn't get a mock-up, but am able to later on (for a fee) when it's closer to my wedding.  All 3 asked what color dresses the girls would be wearing.  I don't know for certain, but I know what I want them to be, so I showed a swatch of that fabric.  I brought a lot of pictures of what I liked and didn't like.  They gave lots of suggestions, and the one who actually listened to what I wanted in addition to giving her own input is who I went with. 

@Gymchick - I met with 3 florists and got itemized quotes from all 3.  They may change a little if I change flowers or table numbers or anything else, but they were all itemized.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    204 Invited image
    7 Ready to Celebrate! image
    1 Going to Miss The Fun image
    196 Making Us Wait image *RSVP Date April 25*
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went on my florists website and selected ones I liked.... I told him what I needed, he gave me the price, went back for a mock up and was thrilled.  I also got a 10% discount for payin cash!
    http://www.santosflorist.net/ (the site)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to a florist that our venue suggested and he was so expensive. He emailed me over an itemized quote a few days later.

I went to a florist who our friend suggested and really liked him and he gave me the quote that day with everything itemized. We talked about what the flowers would look like and I had brought a picture and he made some recommendations too. He walked me through how the entire day would be with deliveries.
    He was thousands of dollars cheaper than the other guy and since I had heard good things about him I went with him, he was surprised I didn't want to talk it over with my now husband.
  • Options
    Faith2730Faith2730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_florist-process?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:141aa5c9-1f18-4496-b4ca-5114ad315747Post:55062e30-b018-498e-8397-3dd144538f8b">Re: Florist Process</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went on my florists website and selected ones I liked.... I told him what I needed, he gave me the price, went back for a mock up and was thrilled.  I also got a 10% discount for payin cash! <a href="http://www.santosflorist.net/" rel="nofollow">http://www.santosflorist.net/</a> (the site)
    Posted by Reilly626[/QUOTE]

Love how there is a website and prices!  I know you said they gave you a 10% off discount for paying cash and I believe I remember you posting that they gave a discount for teachers,cops, ect.  Was that an additional discount on top of the discount for paying cash?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would print some pictures of some colors/flowers you like - this will give the florist an idea of what you're looking for. Also you need to go with with an amount in your head that you'd like to spend. Even if that amount is $1000. The florist should be able to show you what flowers/elements will bring your budget up or down. The florists I spoke with gave me an estimate that day. I was pretty specific with the flowers. My florist did a mock up for me about 5 months before. I had already given $100 deposit.

I used S&K floral expressions - Her name was Stephanie and she was awesome! I loved my flowers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When I went, I had an idea of the flowers I wanted and also what I wanted to spend. I told the florist some of my ideas and asked their opinions. I went to two florists and in both places they were able to give me the prices that day. They showed me the itemized breakdown and then explained ways that I could try to cut the costs or add some things. It was a pretty painless process. I did get two completely different quotes though which was funny. They were off by about $600.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went into the florist clueless but the place where we are getting our flowers from went step by step of what they do and what items i want..... it felt very overwhelming but I am glad Its over..... I brought in a whole bunch of picutures of flowers i liked and she told me what they were if how much they ranged.... Also they have me a general pricing and then typed everything and sent it to me within the couple of days...... She told me they could wrap the bouquets with the dress after the girls hem them
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maria- who did you end up using?
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, we got both discounts for paying cash and being teachers....
  • Options
    JulepheniaJulephenia member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've now met with 2 florists - one by my FMIL and another off rec's from knotties. I'm hoping to go with the 2nd - Avenue Flowers in Elizabeth.

Both gave me itemized, but the first is a good chunk of change higher than we want to be... and kind of took off with his own designs and left us sitting there, gaping. Avenue listened to me and made it more of a collaboration, with him leading and me getting final approval. I'm getting a mock up, because I haven't the faintest idea what it'll all look like.

That said - THANK YOU, ladies! I really liked Avenue Florist, and I told him that girls on TK rec'd him, and he was sincerely grateful. And I REALLY love his idea of the chuppah - plus it's a TON cheaper than the first florist said it would be!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards