New Jersey
Options

Married Girls who changed their name - SS Question

Do you know if you have to go to your local Social Security office or can I just go to any office in NJ? My local office has ZERO parking and I circled for over an hour trying to find a place to park before I gave up. I tried getting a person on the phone at SS to ask, but wasn't able to get through. 

Re: Married Girls who changed their name - SS Question

• Options
    I live in Monmouth county and went to one in Atlantic county - wasn't a problem at all. No one even asked why I was so far away from home. I got my new card in like 5 days too, so that didn't even delay the process.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Pretty sure you can go to any office.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks! I'll try another and hope I fare better this time!
  • Options
    Also, did you go to the DMV on the same day or do you have to wait for your new card to do that?
  • Options
    FWIW I think I went to that office. There is street parking behind it, and I was in and out in under 30 minutes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_married-girls-who-changed-their-name-ss-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:15fc6bc4-8d93-4a24-9aca-332c0c2dcbb8Post:79873e9c-e0d7-4805-8c64-9fc8382f20de">Re: Married Girls who changed their name - SS Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, did you go to the DMV on the same day or do you have to wait for your new card to do that?
    Posted by NJhousewife22[/QUOTE]

I actually did DMV first, so no. :)

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_married-girls-who-changed-their-name-ss-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:15fc6bc4-8d93-4a24-9aca-332c0c2dcbb8Post:fb2780dd-5b40-411b-9234-c430e083af04">Re: Married Girls who changed their name - SS Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]FWIW I think I went to that office. There is street parking behind it, and I was in and out in under 30 minutes.
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]

<div>By the church? I circled there for almost an hour and a half and all the spaces were taken. Hmm...maybe Mondays are bad days or there was a Mass....</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_married-girls-who-changed-their-name-ss-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:15fc6bc4-8d93-4a24-9aca-332c0c2dcbb8Post:b95ff35e-fff4-4ea4-a8a0-9809917dbe50">Re: Married Girls who changed their name - SS Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Married Girls who changed their name - SS Question : I actually did DMV first, so no. :)
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]

<div>LOL I didn't know you could even do that!</div>
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_married-girls-who-changed-their-name-ss-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:15fc6bc4-8d93-4a24-9aca-332c0c2dcbb8Post:ec524f2d-4875-494b-b36b-45c4e88d4682">Re: Married Girls who changed their name - SS Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Married Girls who changed their name - SS Question : By the church? I circled there for almost an hour and a half and all the spaces were taken. Hmm...maybe Mondays are bad days or there was a Mass....

Yep, it was around 2 on a weekday, I bet you are right about Mass.

ETA: that sucks that you had to circle so long with no luck! :(

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_married-girls-who-changed-their-name-ss-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:15fc6bc4-8d93-4a24-9aca-332c0c2dcbb8Post:d2e6bfb7-59c8-48de-940a-88739c934b41">Re: Married Girls who changed their name - SS Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Married Girls who changed their name - SS Question : LOL I didn't know you could even do that!

Yeah they didn't need SS proof. I used passport (with old name, haven't changed that yet), marriage cert and apt lease.

Don't know where you plan to go, but the Bayonne office has plenty of parking spots in their lot and it took only about an hour. Intersection of JFK and 63rd St.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_married-girls-who-changed-their-name-ss-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:15fc6bc4-8d93-4a24-9aca-332c0c2dcbb8Post:d9e39127-70f3-49b7-9143-d54f1e7bfd14">Re: Married Girls who changed their name - SS Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Married Girls who changed their name - SS Question : Yeah they didn't need SS proof. I used passport (with old name, haven't changed that yet), marriage cert and apt lease. Don't know where you plan to go, but the Bayonne office has plenty of parking spots in their lot and it took only about an hour. Intersection of JFK and 63rd St.
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thanks for the tip!</div><div>
    </div><div>Did you change a car registration at the same time? The web is saying I need to hit SS office first before the DMV so I can change mine at the same time as my license, but I'm not 100% sure if that's true.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_married-girls-who-changed-their-name-ss-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:15fc6bc4-8d93-4a24-9aca-332c0c2dcbb8Post:bf7799c0-e18b-4708-9be5-9bd89a9b86b4">Re: Married Girls who changed their name - SS Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Married Girls who changed their name - SS Question : Thanks for the tip! Did you change a car registration at the same time? The web is saying I need to hit SS office first before the DMV so I can change mine at the same time as my license, but I'm not 100% sure if that's true.

Hm, that I'm not sure about since I just waited until I got the registration renewal notice (earlier this month) and renewed online.  I think since I had already changed my DL it automatically changed my name on the registration.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards