New Jersey

Seton Hall University Chapel

Hey Ladies!

Any NJ ladies have been at a wedding or got married at the immaculate Conception Chapel at Seton Hall University?  Thoughts?  Advice?

I graduated from SHU in 2005 and though my FI didn't graduate there, this is where we met.  There are a lot of memories we both have at SHU and some of our friends and some people in the wedding party also graduated from there.  We haven't booked the reception yet but are thinking of the Pleasantdale Chateau which would be one of the best and closest choices from the school.

Thanks!
"Do I look like a killer to you?" "Yes, you kill my patience." -Castle

Re: Seton Hall University Chapel

• edited December 2011
    My cousin and his now wife got married in the chaple almost 10 yrs ago.  Both he and his wife went to SH and knew the priest that said the mass.  It is a BEAUTIFUL chapel and a beautiful wedding.  Wish I could be more helpful but it is a beautiful place to get married. 
    He had the in with the priest and also both were alums so seeing as you are too you may get lucky.

Call the school ask around.  The worst they can say is it can't be done.  It would be disappointing but at least you would have an answer.

Good Luck!!!!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend just married there Labor Day wknd, she met her husband at Seton Hall. THe pics were beautiful.
    Heres the facebook site of her photog- just scan down to Janette and Dan... the pics are from Seton Halll.

Go to David and Amy Lau Photography on Facebook,,,

• melissa721melissa721 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My friend booked her wedding there for this coming June. I would suggest you ask them for dates early. I am pretty sure they fill up quickly.

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks 

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

TFAS since February 2013--BFP on cycle 1!

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

SA #1 - Slightly abnormal shape, #2 - very low count

Follistim + IUI 3x = BFN, BFN, very late BFP with super low progesterone --> c/p

Moving on to long protocol IVF with ICSI and PGS in August 2014...how in the holy hell did I get here? FU 2IF.

• edited December 2011
    My FI is an alum and used to work there as well.  He says there's usually a long waiting list for Saturdays.  But Fridays must be more flexible b/c friends of ours just got in engaged a couple months ago, and they got a Friday in March.
  • edited December 2011
    My FI and I both went to Seton Hall, my old roommate got married last summer and tried to get married there, I'm not sure to the accuracy of this, but apparently she was told that you have to book your reception there as well (or at least pay for it) even if you don't have it and it's "catered" by the cafeteria food service there. Making it cost you a couple grand to just have the ceremony there...
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My friend just got married there in June. It was very nice and felt like just the right size...not too big and not too small, nice and intimate (I heard a lot of people making these same comments when we were waiting for the ceremony to start). I believe she said the price was $1,000.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • jamtom2011jamtom2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at the Chapel in July, both FI and I are alumni and SHU is where we met.  Definitely get in contact with the lady in charge of booking to see if the dates you want are available.  They ask you to provide your own priest and the cost of the chapel is $1,000 which includes an organist and a cantor.  The info for the woman in charge of booking is on the alumni section of the website: http://www.shu.edu/alumni/benefits.cfm#weddings

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and you don't have to book your reception there.
  • JerseyMLJerseyML member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow thanks for the responses ladies!!  :)

I will call them this week to see if my date is available.  I can't book the chapel until I book the Chateau but I do have in mind which date I want. 

jamtom2011- How many people do you think fit in the chapel?  Do you happen to know what times they do the ceremony?  Do I have a choice on time or is it only at one time.  Like if I want to have the ceremony at like 3.  Do you need to get special passes from the gate (oh the memories) for the bridal party, guests, limos etc ahead of time?  Is campus security going to call SOPD if we crack open a bottle of champagne on the green?
  • edited December 2011
    I just got married there on 9/19 - BEAUTIFUL. My husband and I met there many years ago and had been together ever since. 

I don't know if you have been lately but they recently completed 6M worth of renovations to the chapel - took two years! 

Definitely call Marie Linda and see what dates are available and times. Apparently a lot of people book their venue date without checking with the chapel to see if they are available and then the chapel isn't available.  Cantor was fantastic. I don't know who she was for our ceremony but it was so beautiful.  Fee is $1,000 and you need to be able to prove one or both of you went to school there.

Sunday's are only 2pm.  Not sure about Friday's and Saturdays. 

Best of luck!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Seton Hall University Chapel:
    [ jamtom2011- How many people do you think fit in the chapel?  I think it might be around 150 but I'm not sure exactly. There are 13 rows of pews (1 pew on each side).  I can check my paperwork later and see, I think they have the number written on there.
    Do you happen to know what times they do the ceremony?  Do I have a choice on time or is it only at one time.  Like if I want to have the ceremony at like 3.   I'm not sure about times, our wedding is at 4pm on a Friday but since they only book 1 wedding a day I don't see why you wouldn't be able to pick your time as long as it doesn't interfere with the regular mass schedule.
     Do you need to get special passes from the gate (oh the memories) for the bridal party, guests, limos etc ahead of time? You don't need guest passes, I also attended a wedding there about 2 years ago and I just drove in and parked in the Xavier lot.  They say on the paperwork to have your guests park in the parking deck and to make sure the limo doesn't park on the brick pavers in front of the chapel.
    Is campus security going to call SOPD if we crack open a bottle of champagne on the green?  I haven't even thought about that but I'm pretty sure the wedding I attended they opened champagne and there was no problem,

The paperwork that they send has a bunch of things you cant do/have.  For example, you can't have an aisle runner (so I assume the flower girl can't throw petals), you can't use tape (which i think is pretty standard for most churches), if you throw birdseed you have to try to keep it outside of the chapel, and there are somethings that you can't throw but I'm not sure what they were.

I would call Marie and ask her if she can give you maybe a few dates that are open around the date that you like because they do book quickly.  The manager at my reception hall actually told me to make sure I had the chapel first because he had many brides that wanted to get married there but their date was booked.

Good luck!

• JerseyMLJerseyML member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Ladies!

Just wanted to give you the heads up.  I called SHU and Marie told me a SHU wedding wouldn't work because the two dates me and my FI were looking at are during lent and the chapel doesn't do any weddings during the lent season.  Bummer.  Oh Well.  What can you do?!? On to plan B.

For anyone who is looking to booking the chapel they don't start to book 2012 til Jan/Feb of 2011. 

Thanks again for you help! 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear they won't book for you.  Good luck with the rest of your planning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards