New Jersey
Options

Tall Bridesmaids?

So, I have a bridesmaid that's 5'10" without heels.  The dress place is saying she needs to order extra fabric since she's so tall, but I'm finding that a little weird...what are they going to do hem an extra yard on it?  Not like you can hide that seam.  She says she's never had to do that before, so I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.  I thought length goes up with size, so wouldn't they just order a bigger size and take it in?

I think the dress place has been good for the most part, but I noticed with my fitting and also all of the other BMs they recommended we all buy a size bigger than what the size chart seemed to recommend "to be safe", so I'm starting to think they're a little alteration-happy

Re: Tall Bridesmaids?

• Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have one of those... she is almost 6 ft tall.  She was charged additional $10 or $15 I believe for the long length.  It's just cut longer.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Get a second opinion from a reliable, independent seamstress/tailor in your area.

If you decide not to order through the salon, you can always order wholesale through netbride.com, rkbridal.com or pearlsplace.com. This will save your girls some money, too, since they wouldn't be paying the salon's markup.

IDK about length ... I think that a lot of designers offer extra length/tall dresses, so contact them directly and see. My BMs ordered Ann Taylor cocktail dresses that were calf-length on them (they're both five feet even), so they went to tailors in their area, at their leisure, to have them hemmed to knee-length.
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The dress will be made longer, lol. It's a pretty normal thing, especially if she plans to wear heels. I had one 5'9" bridesmaid and she said she always orders the extra length just in case, although she didn't end up needing it for my BM dress. Depends on the designer.
  • Options
    goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    That is probably correct, especially if she plans on wearing heels.   I am just under 5"10 and they told me I would have had to order extra length for my gown if I was any taller.  Like the pp said, it is just made longer, they don't actually add fabric to it.
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that would depend more on her inseam than anything else.  If she's all legs, she may need a tall dress, but if she's more proportionate she may not.  Length doesn't really go up with size, and a dress that is way too big can be hard to tailor down correctly.  And if anything, bridesmaid dresses run long in my experience -- I'm 5'5" (but am long-legged for my height) and I've never had to get a regular dress hemmed, but always have to get BM dresses hemmed.

Has she had a chance to try on a sample dress to see how long it is on her?

My bridesmaids ranged from 5'0" to 5'10", and they all ordered normal sizes.  The shorter girls (even the one who was 5'7") had to have them hemmed, but the length was fine without alterations on the 5'10" bridesmaid.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay I guess I was confusing things, the way she said it they told her needed to order an extra yard or something, so I was thinking like a separate piece of fabric and rather then them just cutting it longer lol.  My sister's ordering more fabirc for straps, so I guess I just had that stuck in my head.

I feel better now haha
  • Options
    smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm 5'10 and had to order extra length for my wedding gown and for a BM dress for another wedding. They just make the gown 5 inches longer and you have it hemmed just as you would with a short bridesmaid. Easy peasy!
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are the dresses long or short? They tried to make my taller BM order longer lengths but they are short dresses and it was really unnecessary!
    *~allie~*

• Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm 5'10 and that has happened to me every time I was a bridesmaid- they say the regular dress only goes up to someone who is 5'7.  I had to order extra length in my dress also.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, they're full length...think I heard the 5'7 thing at one point from them too.  This MB is out of state, so she's never tried it on.  It's probably better to be safe and just do the extra length since you still have factor in a low heel, she'd prob be pushing it without it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

my cousin is 6 ft.  she had to order an extra long for her dress and they charged her for it.  it is very common.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am 5'10" and have always ordered extra length for my dresses as a bridesmaid.  It can range anywhere from $10 - $30 extra.

However, having everyone "order a size up to be safe" does sound a bit off - I would research and see if there is another store that offers the same style dress. Compare prices, compare alteration fees, compare extra length prices - I found all of these numbers to be different on the same dress.

A lot of salons make extra money on alterations, and that really bothers me. You might want to find a place that might be a bit more honest about the whole thing.
    image Tuffy
    RIP Little Man October 15, 1995 - June 1, 2010
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    you most certainly should get XL if they suggest it--every dress runs differently.  i am 5'11" and would never think to just hope for the best and wind up with some short horrible diaster!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards