New Jersey
Options

Average cost of a photographer?

I'm starting to narrow down photographers and wondering what an average price should be? I'm not looking for engagement shots or video. Just coverage from getting ready at the house until the reception and of course albums. I like Vanessa Joy and thinking of consulting with her.

Re: Average cost of a photographer?

• Options
    This question is asked often and the answers are always the same.  It depends on style and quality.  You can spend $1,000, you can spend $10,000.  That doesn't mean that the average is $5,000.

That said, unless you need to go low cost and hire a CraigsList photographer or you have to have that one artisitic photographer at $10,000, it seems that most spend between $3k and $5k including album.
  • Options
    B2Z728B2Z728 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    The average photography cost in the NJ/NYC area will most likely be in the $2K - $5K range. 

Ours was about $3400. I originally budgeted $3K but I was willing to go a little over for the photographer I really wanted. It included an engagement session, with a dvd of high res images, 8 hours of coverage on our wedding day, a dvd of high res images, our album, 2 parent albums and a few 8x10 prints. 

Many photographers will allow you to make your own package to include only the items that you want. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Vanessa Joy is a great photographer, but she was one of the most expensive photograhers we looked at.  Our photographer, Erin H Photography, and Kate Connely are all friends and have a very similar style.  As a matter of fact, they sometimes fill in as 2nd shooters for each other if schedules allow.  Erin and Kate are a little less expensive than Vanessa, so definitely check them out as well and weight all your options.
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
  • Options
    My photography package is around $5000. It includes 10 hours of coverage, digital full files and all rights to every photo, 1000 prints (art quality), 60 image album for us, 2 24 image albums for parents, 100 thank you notes, 5 each of 5 x 7 and 8 x 10 enlargements (art quality), and a complimentary engagement session with digital full files and rights to every photo.

I was most interested in the quality of photography and digital files/rights to all photos.

I also contacted Vanessa Joy and loved her work, but she was more in the $8,000 - $10,000 range for a comparable package. Erin H is another photographer, as mentioned above, that has a similar style of Vanessa and is less expensive as well.

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    Thank you all your comments were very helpful. After finding out how pricey she is I will have to look else where. I will look at her friends and some others. Laughing
  • Options
    Jason Rhee - Love him!
  • Options
    wow 10,000 ... thats a bit to much Smile
    I just booked fabuluxe photos and my packages was $3,000
  • Options
    Oh right - Doddles suggested Jason Rhee. I was also interested in his work, but he was booked for my date and returned my email promptly letting me know. I think his prices are a bit competitive as well and he does beautiful work. It's definitely worth contacting him!

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    I was looking at photographers such as Kay English, Vanessa Joy and Samantha Shay; but unfortunately they were all out of our price range. Kay English referred us to Erin Nicasto Photography. She works with Kay when she is not booked herself. We contacted her and her prices range from $1,500 to $3,500. She has the same style as the others but at a much lower price which is wonderful for us. Her highest price package includes all day coverage and parent albums as well, plus many other perks. Erin is super friendly, professional and talented. We look forward to working with her!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards