New Jersey

Dear Roman of "The Manor"

You are extremely rude, because of your rudeness our "tour" of your venue was 15 minutes...I am not planning a dinner party, we are planning a wedding...There is no way you can fit 200 comfortably in your Imperial Room.

you are a meanie and I will be sending a basket of rotten tomatoes in my appreciation of your personality

Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor"

• edited December 2011
    You are so funny!  Honestly, the Manor is not nearly as good as it used to be.  I hope you find your dream venue!
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You are funny! That is exactly how we felt on our tour of the Westmount... Bobby couldn't care less after we told him we only had 175 guests... I know most people there have bigger weddings and I totally get it from a business perspective. We loved the venue but they didn't love us! You will find the perfect venue!!
  • edited December 2011
    We felt similarly when we checked out The Manor. First we were "scolded" for being 3 minutes late and told we'd have to wait bc they were busy. Great first impression! We sat for 45mins and watched the procession of couples coming in for tours. Our tour was all of ten mins. I was majorly turned off at the fact that they brought us into the Imperial Room while guests for a wedding were in there, and then brought us back to the office to blow through the menu. It was as though he had a whole speech rehearsed and threw in some corny line that we still laugh about....he said "we offer chateu briand because.....well, why have anything less then the best....am I right?" Alrighty there buddy! I then asked him a question...he lost his place in the menu afterwards and went back to that line and repeated it the same way once again. Lol At that point I asked to look at the photo album of wedding cake options and was mortified when he pulled out a book filled with images of hideous cakes from the 80's. He actually told me that no one is doing fondant cakes anymore and that bridge cakes look much more current....huh??? It was just super odd. I know a lot of people on here love The Manor, but we just weren't big fans. However, I did think the outside was beautiful!!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a former event sales person I was mortified when I went to both the manor and the west mount. These guys forget it was "my" wedding. I dont care what you would do for your daughter, I dont care what someone else did. And pay attention when i try to explain what I wanted instead of me having to repeat myself.  Hence why I did not pick either place.  I also feel that men are not that great at attention to detail (no offence guys) for weddings.
  • maddie7maddie7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a horrible experience with Preston- boy was he just plain creepy and calculating!  We hated the downstairs room- with the jail like bars and no windows! I wouldnt care for the "wedding factory" that goes on there. When I went to a wedding upstairs we were looking out the back at another wedding and bride taking pics at a fountain outside the room! No bathrooms upstairs!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_dear-roman-of-manor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:25051465-8a11-43f0-95d5-23d0ca53a881Post:78103ffc-34de-4376-bcc5-980cea1f6251">Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor"</a>:
    [QUOTE]You are funny! That is exactly how we felt on our tour of the Westmount... Bobby couldn't care less after we told him we only had 175 guests... I know most people there have bigger weddings and I totally get it from a business perspective. We loved the venue but they didn't love us! You will find the perfect venue!!
    Posted by Giaspo[/QUOTE]

That is totally how I felt at our tour of Nanina's in the Park.  I hated that salesman and would not book there ever, just based on that experience!  Beautiful place, but a cocky and poor listener salesman.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    The best part was when we asked what dates were available in 2011. He said that the "only date available for us" in all of 2011 was a Sunday morning in October. That was it, for us. But boy could he give us a deal! I'll take it, along with a used Toyota!
  • cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aside from not liking the setup/size of the rooms there.. He was definitely a huge turn off for us when we went to check out the place.
  • edited December 2011
    we felt the same about pantagis aka snuffy's-wedding factory and the lady actually told us to be selective in our wedding guests invites so that we could afford to upgrade certain aspects.  And the guy from L'affaire never even showed for the tour a chef that was comming in to start cooking for a wedding gave us a tour,  how do these places stay in business
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • RamsKR01RamsKR01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think Roman was the one that I met with too.  The outside space was gorgeous, but I thought the cocktail and reception rooms were small and it was very "stuffy".  Not me or my style - not my kind of place - not the place for my friends and family.  Happy to hear it wasn't just me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Not for nothing, but I think the same could be said for every venue depending on who you are as a couple, who you meet with, and what style you're going for.  There is no one venue that's going to satisfy every single couple, but every venue is going to turn-off a percentage of people who check it out for one reason or another.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_dear-roman-of-manor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:25051465-8a11-43f0-95d5-23d0ca53a881Post:302d6146-1f0a-47cf-8f80-1b97a5f99178">Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not for nothing, but I think the same could be said for every venue depending on who you are as a couple, who you meet with, and what style you're going for.  There is no one venue that's going to satisfy every single couple, but every venue is going to turn-off a percentage of people who check it out for one reason or another.
    Posted by peaches178[/QUOTE]
    Very true... it also depends what kind of mood the person is in that day when you meet with them!
  • edited December 2011
    I was at a wedding at the Manor this month.  I always found this place to be absolutely beautiful and a serious consideration for me.  However, after going to it, I would never suggest anybody there.  The weddings are so crammed in & cocktail hour was horrible!  There was no place to even stand during the cocktail and the selection was VERY slim! :(  
    The Manor does not live up to all the hype.  
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_dear-roman-of-manor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:25051465-8a11-43f0-95d5-23d0ca53a881Post:162f632b-6c15-4fe3-a6ac-5d7ef6ee2543">Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor"</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was at a wedding at the Manor this month.  I always found this place to be absolutely beautiful and a serious consideration for me.  However, after going to it, I would never suggest anybody there.  The weddings are so crammed in & cocktail hour was horrible!  There was no place to even stand during the cocktail and the selection was VERY slim! :(   <strong>The Manor does not live up to all the hype.  </strong>
    Posted by teACHERGIRLFORLIFE[/QUOTE]
    Neither does your knottie name.  Sheesh!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Why is it that when something about "The Manor" is brought up that you don't agree with, you react?
    Not everybody is going to like it.  It is a fine "economical" choice, just not for everyone. I believe we are all entitled to our opinion.  I said that I always found the place to be gorgeous, love the lobster buffet, but just not my style for a wedding.
    Oh, and forgive my screen name.  I goofed making it, I was trying to make something quick, without using my name.  Grow up.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_dear-roman-of-manor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:25051465-8a11-43f0-95d5-23d0ca53a881Post:7fa605bd-7f53-458e-8c2a-0e3d08951bb5">Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why is it that when something about "The Manor" is brought up that you don't agree with, you react? Not everybody is going to like it.  It is a fine "economical" choice, just not for everyone. I believe we are all entitled to our opinion.  I said that I always found the place to be gorgeous, love the lobster buffet, but just not my style for a wedding. Oh, and forgive my screen name.  I goofed making it, I was trying to make something quick, without using my name.  Grow up.
    I didn't react to what you said about The Manor and all I said in reaction to this thread prior to your post was that different people have different thoughts about different venues and vendors.  I didn't defend The Manor, nor did I go off on anyone.  In fact, I'm in charge of the vendor review site and anytime someone asks if they can put a review (postive OR negative) of a vendor they met with but haven't used, I don't let them because you can't really critique or provide a thorough review of a vendor just from a single meeting or even several meetings.  If that were the case, then every vendor would have twenty negative reviews for every poitive review because, as I've said several times, everyone has different opinions of people/places, everyone's looking for something different, and everyone has different tastes.

All I said in my last post in direct response to you was a comment about your screen name, not about The Manor... I just think it's funny when people make reference to themselves as teachers and then have atrocious spelling, grammar, etc.   Speaking of which, is there a reason why you just put The Manor's name in quotation marks?

Oh, and in reference to you commenting about me reacting... isn't that pretty much what you did when you first posted your comment?  Didn't you react (albeit, in the form of agreeing with the OP) to what the OP and others in this thread said?  In fact, isn't that the point of a public forum?  For people to post questions and statements and then for others to post their reactions, thoughts, etc?

I'm beginning to think there's a teacher on this board who needs to go back to school herself to learn a few things...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Funny.  Are you a jilted teacher?  That's the impression I get.  For your information, I know my grammar.  Don't try to offend, just shows your jealousy.  
    Also, you do react when someone mentions "THE MANOR."
    No, you didn't impress me with your long winded response.  It seems as if you have a bit of time on your hands.  You display a lack of ignorance, when you try to show intelligence.  Like I said, funny.
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_dear-roman-of-manor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:25051465-8a11-43f0-95d5-23d0ca53a881Post:7fa605bd-7f53-458e-8c2a-0e3d08951bb5">Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why is it that when something about "The Manor" is brought up that you don't agree with, you react? Not everybody is going to like it.  <strong>It is a fine "economical" choice</strong>, just not for everyone. I believe we are all entitled to our opinion.  I said that I always found the place to be gorgeous, love the lobster buffet, but just not my style for a wedding. Oh, and forgive my screen name.  I goofed making it, I was trying to make something quick, without using my name.  Grow up.
    That doesn't even make any sense.. I actually found them much more expensive than a few other places that we looked at, including the one we booked.
    If you read the OP again, this post had nothing to do with whether or not "The Manor", as you quote, appeals to everyone. The OP was specifically commenting on her experience with one of the people who work there. So your comments, negative or positive, have nothing to do with this.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_dear-roman-of-manor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:25051465-8a11-43f0-95d5-23d0ca53a881Post:274c2158-b2c2-405b-9ab8-8aa4fbfc0ae4">Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor" : That doesn't even make any sense.. I actually found them much more expensive than a few other places that we looked at, including the one we booked. If you read the OP again, this post had nothing to do with whether or not "The Manor", as you quote, appeals to everyone. The OP was specifically commenting on her experience with one of the people who work there. So your comments, negative or positive, have nothing to do with this.
    Posted by cindyn9178[/QUOTE]
    Thanks, Cindy!  :-)  Not much of what she says makes sense, does it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance and I toured The Manor 2 weks ago and we were terribly turned off. It smelled musty and very very old. My fiance was there at a wedding a year ago and notice a burned out bulb in one of the chandeliers and untwisted the bulb and set it on it's side. When we went there the same bulb was still untwisted and set on its side. I thought the pink velvet drapes were awful. I felt like it was Gone with the Wind on crack. Both my aunts got married there over 30 years ago and that was the "place". I must say it is no longer the "place". The prices were on the low end....considerably lower than anything we saw. Very poor upkeep. The Manor is owned by the same people who own The Pleasantdale Chateau. Now that is where the owners are putting their money. It buries The Manor. After we toured the Chateau I sat the gentleman for an hour going over all the detaills(The Manor gave us 10 min). Before I left he asked if I was still looking at other places. I told him I would be visiting The Manor the next day. He just sat back and smiled and said "well.....you will see the difference....you pay for what you get." I couldn't understand what he meant, we were going to The Manor. Every jersey girl grew up hearing the wonders of The Manor.  When I finally saw The Manor I just shook my head and thought "wow, he was soo right. You def. pay for what you get and it wasnt much there." Also, I too, thought Roman was terribly rude and I could not understand a thing he said. My fiance had to repeat everything he said.
    Def a let down....I had built it up in my mind for nothing.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_dear-roman-of-manor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:25051465-8a11-43f0-95d5-23d0ca53a881Post:a02dab46-c1b4-4434-b766-2486d8ffdc44">Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor"</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I toured The Manor 2 weks ago and we were terribly turned off. It smelled musty and very very old. My fiance was there at a wedding a year ago and notice a burned out bulb in one of the chandeliers and untwisted the bulb and set it on it's side. When we went there the same bulb was still untwisted and set on its side. I thought the pink velvet drapes were awful. I felt like it was Gone with the Wind on crack. Both my aunts got married there over 30 years ago and that was the "place". I must say it is no longer the "place". The prices were on the low end....considerably lower than anything we saw. Very poor upkeep. The Manor is owned by the same people who own The Pleasantdale Chateau. Now that is where the owners are putting their money. It buries The Manor. After we toured the Chateau I sat the gentleman for an hour going over all the detaills(The Manor gave us 10 min). Before I left he asked if I was still looking at other places. I told him I would be visiting The Manor the next day. He just sat back and smiled and said "well.....you will see the difference....you pay for what you get." I couldn't understand what he meant, we were going to The Manor. Every jersey girl grew up hearing the wonders of The Manor.  When I finally saw The Manor I just shook my head and thought "wow, he was soo right. You def. pay for what you get and it wasnt much there." Also, I too, thought Roman was terribly rude and I could not understand a thing he said. My fiance had to repeat everything he said. Def a let down....I had built it up in my mind for nothing.
    Posted by teachergurl2002[/QUOTE]
    Funny, I got married there almost exactly 2 weeks ago and practically every single one of my guests said it was one of the most beautiful venues with the best food of any wedding they've attended (mind you, many of them had also attended my cousin's wedding at the Pleasantdale Chateau last year).  I can assuredly say that it didn't (nor ever did during any of our meetings) smell musty, have burned out bulbs, etc. and I think they maintain the building and grounds very well (it's something they're known for along with their food).

ETA: And I have a very hard time believing the fact that a bulb your fiance unscrewed and set aside (which he shouldn't have done in the first place) was still lying there a full year later.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_dear-roman-of-manor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:25051465-8a11-43f0-95d5-23d0ca53a881Post:23d311e3-226f-494d-b8ad-a94bb909e5b9">Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Funny, I got married there almost exactly 2 weeks ago and practically every single one of my guests said it was one of the most beautiful venues with the best food of any wedding they've attended (mind you, many of them had also attended my cousin's wedding at the Pleasantdale Chateau last year).  I can assuredly say that it didn't (nor ever did during any of our meetings) smell musty, have burned out bulbs, etc. and I think they maintain the building and grounds very well (it's something they're known for along with their food).

Different experiences I guess....glad to hear your wedding was a success and you were happy. Congratulations!!!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_dear-roman-of-manor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:25051465-8a11-43f0-95d5-23d0ca53a881Post:37c8322b-53a7-4f0c-a307-5562e8334e47">Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor" : <strong>Different experiences I guess</strong>....glad to hear your wedding was a success and you were happy. Congratulations!!!
    Apparently.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_dear-roman-of-manor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:25051465-8a11-43f0-95d5-23d0ca53a881Post:23d311e3-226f-494d-b8ad-a94bb909e5b9">Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor" : Funny, I got married there almost exactly 2 weeks ago and practically every single one of my guests said it was one of the most beautiful venues with the best food of any wedding they've attended (mind you, many of them had also attended my cousin's wedding at the Pleasantdale Chateau last year).  I can assuredly say that it didn't (nor ever did during any of our meetings) smell musty, have burned out bulbs, etc. and I think they maintain the building and grounds very well (it's something they're known for along with their food).
        <strong><em>ETA: And I have a very hard time believing the fact that a bulb your fiance unscrewed and set aside (which he shouldn't have done in the first place) was still lying there a full year later.
    </em></strong>Posted by peaches178[/QUOTE]

Oh I can assure you that the bulb was still there....I saw it.  He told me the story even before we got there. We were both stunned to see that it was still in the same position he described, in the same location. We also mentioned it to Roman....he had nothing to say about it. Regardless of whether he should or shouldn't have done it, it spoke volumes to me on the overall maintenance of the place.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_dear-roman-of-manor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:25051465-8a11-43f0-95d5-23d0ca53a881Post:baac39c7-6a80-4e1e-b526-1f174022bea6">Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor" : Oh I can assure you that the bulb was still there....I saw it.  He told me the story even before we got there. We were both stunned to see that it was still in the same position he described, in the same location. We also mentioned it to Roman....he had nothing to say about it. Regardless of whether he should or shouldn't have done it, it spoke volumes to me on the overall maintenance of the place.
    Again, I find it very hard to believe (I think that just looking at the grounds and the building speaks volumes about their overall maintenance in a positive light - especially considering how long they've been around). Just as I find it hard to believe that someone whose knottie name refers to being a teacher would spell "girl" incorrectly - regardless of whether it's internet "talk" or not.  Some things just boggle my mind.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I find it very interesting that there are two "teachergirl" screenames in this thread and both have similar negative things to say....
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_dear-roman-of-manor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:25051465-8a11-43f0-95d5-23d0ca53a881Post:1f161c2c-6945-40df-aec1-dff674b4baa2">Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor" : Again, I find it very hard to believe (I think that just looking at the grounds and the building speaks volumes about their overall maintenance in a positive light - especially considering how long they've been around).
     <strong><em>Just as I find it hard to believe that someone whose knottie name refers to being a teacher would spell "girl" incorrectly - regardless of whether it's internet "talk" or not.  Some things just boggle my mind</em></strong>.

I AM a teacher of 15 years, who majored in English and I do know how to spell. It is my email addy that was assigned to me from AOL when account was created in 2002. Obvisiously the screenname "teacherGIRL" was already taken. Its a screenname....get over it. Take it up with AOL if you do not like the screenname/email addy's they assign.  Sounds like some people are just not allowed their own opinions and observations.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_dear-roman-of-manor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:25051465-8a11-43f0-95d5-23d0ca53a881Post:bc71b6c0-72e8-44be-a7ac-c4574ff90333">Re: Dear Roman of "The Manor"</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I find it very interesting that there are two "teachergirl" screenames in this thread and both have similar negative things to say....
    </strong>Posted by cindyn9178[/QUOTE]

I do not know who the other Teachergirl is but it is not me. Wow, what a coincidence that there are 2 teacher's who live in New Jersey, who are on the Knot. Hmmm....I wonder, could there be anymore teachers who live in NJ who are on the Knot? I wonder if there are any teachers in NJ who have Teacher or Girl/Gurl in their screen name?  Wow, wonders never cease....just boggles my mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards