New Jersey
Options

Time to issue Marriage Certificate

Hello,

I understand that in NJ there is a 72 hour wait to get a Marriage license which is valid for 72 hours. Does anyone know how long it would take to issue the marraige certificate after the ceremony?

Thanks++

Re: Time to issue Marriage Certificate

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_time-to-issue-marriage-certificate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:2533a4e0-5f3a-41e3-97ec-01c49503ef9ePost:459348c0-9dc0-42b9-9041-103aad0b7f72">Time to issue Marriage Certificate</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello, I understand that in NJ there is a 72 hour wait to get a Marriage license which is valid for 72 hours. Does anyone know how long it would take to issue the marraige certificate after the ceremony? Thanks++
    Posted by sdfornj[/QUOTE]

You officiant has to file it.  It takes about a week or 2 depending on the town.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks so much! Any idea if there is a way for this to be expedited. We need to have our religious ceremony after we get the certificate and hence need that earlier. In some other states, it just takes 2 days..

Thoughts? Is there a town thats the fastest??
  • Options
    You can't just pick what town to go to - you do it in the bride's town if both B&G are from NJ, groom's town if G is from the state but bride is not, and in the town where the ceremony is taking place if you both live from out of state.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• Options
    We had to file ours in the town we got married in.  The license was available while we were on our honeymoon so it did not take long at all but I believe it depends on where it's being filed. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_time-to-issue-marriage-certificate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:2533a4e0-5f3a-41e3-97ec-01c49503ef9ePost:1e55cd62-4bba-48e8-b8cd-84fb76d72d90">Re: Time to issue Marriage Certificate</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks so much! Any idea if there is a way for this to be expedited. We need to have our religious ceremony after we get the certificate and hence need that earlier. In some other states, it just takes 2 days.. Thoughts? Is there a town thats the fastest??
    Posted by sdfornj[/QUOTE]

I'm confused.  A marriage certificate is issued AFTER the wedding.  It seems that you are actually talking about a marriage license. You have to go apply for your ML in the town one of you live in or the town you are getting married in if neither of you live in NJ. You can't just pick any random town. You can apply up to 6 months in advance but no less than 72 hours.  Once you pick it up then you have 30 days to use it.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yes I think you're getting confused between a marriage license and a marriage certificate.  You need to get the license before your ceremony and that is done in the town the bride lives in, as others have said.  Then after the ceremony the license gets filed (not sure exactly who sends it in) and you'll get the certificate in the mail.  You can pay to get extra copies, which I would recommend.  

Once you have your certificate, that's what you use at DMV, SS, the bank, etc to change your name if you're doing that.  
  • Options
    Thanks, All.

Thanks also for clarifying about the License. I understand that we need to apply for the license in advance of the Civil Cermony.

In our case a civil ceremony is required before we can conduct the religious ceremony and the marraige certificate (that we will receive after the civil ceremony) is a requisite for the religious ceremony.

Since my family will be coming from out of the country, I am trying to work out the events such that we can have the civil ceremony while they are here (I don't mind a very low key event at the office of the county etc.) and get our marraige certificate and have the religious ceremony within a couple days.

Hence timing of the marriage certificate is crtical for me. Do you know if I have the civil ceremony done at the court, whether they will be able to issue the certificate to me right away? My understanding is that this is possible in NYC.

Thanks a lot for your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards