North Carolina

Makeup Artist Contract?

I think I have [finally] found a MUA for my wedding in May.  She was recommended by Kymm from Who's The Fairest, a popular MUA on TK.  At this point, I'm totally going on Kymm's recommendation and the MUA's website portfolio.  I do have a trial scheduled with her for Dec 3.  The issue is that she doesn't have a contract.  Once she confirmed her availability for my date, I asked her to forward a copy of her contract, to which she replied "I do not use contracts, I've had no issues in the past." This is my first time using a MUA, so perhaps this is standard practice in that industry.  Aside from my stylist (who does my hair weekly and is also a guest at the wedding), I have contracts with all of my wedding vendors and I am concerned that not spelling out the expectations (date, time, specific services) and payment requirements could spell trouble down the line.

Am I freaking out for no reason?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Makeup Artist Contract?

• squirrelcubesquirrelcube member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have a formal contract with my hair/makeup artist.  My bridesmaids and I are having our mani/pedi done at a salon on Friday, and the same salon is doing our hair & makeup on Saturday.  It's a well-known salon and is really reputable, though, so I'm not worried about it.  They did have us fill our paperwork to detail what we wanted done, and we paid a deposit to hold the appointment, but that's it.

I'd say if your wedding isn't until May, and you have a trial run in December, you'll probably be okay.  I didn't find my salon until about a month ago, and it still worked out okay.  Even if something happens and you have to change, you have plenty of time to do so.

Good luck to you with your planning!
    Anniversary Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • pearls687pearls687 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to mention that she's a freelance MUA who is doing my makeup onsite the morning of the wedding.  Since I was referred to her by a reputable MUA, I'm going to try not to worry.  I just don't know what's to keep her from booking something else in my time slot, charging a different price than what we originally agreed upon, or simply not showing up.  You know, all that contract stuff....  Undecided
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't feel comfortable with that.  At the very least I would write up my exact expectations "MUA will...xyz at abc time and date..."  " I will pay via xyz by abc date of wedding."  "If for some reason MUA is unable to perform duties  xyz will occurr" and e-mail it to her (use the read receipt function) and get her to reply agreeing to the expectations. 
  • NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Mary. I'd personally want some sort of contract saying what she'd be doing, when and where as well as stating payment information and something about if she doesn't show.

I feel like when you go to a salon, you know they'll be there, because that's their place of buisness. Whereas if they're coming to you, it kind of leaves a few things up in the air.

The MUA is a vendor and should be willing to work with you on this. If she isnt, honestly, I might move on to another MUA that you're more comfortable with.

Good luck!
  • pearls687pearls687 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!  Great suggestions!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards