New Jersey
Options

Dresses for Grandma..

My grandmother is 94 and really excited for the wedding.  With that said she called me and asked if she could specifically wear an Ivory dress that has 3/4 length sleves with beading on it. I told her she could wear anything she liked and that I would be more than happy to take her to find it.  I was thinking I should have a plan mapped out to places where to go, or a place that we could get one off the rack but exchange if the size wasnt right. Suggestions ladies? She lives in NY but i will travel if I can exchange for her.

Re: Dresses for Grandma..

• Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like shopping with your grandma could be a really special day. However at 94 I think it might be best if you call ahead to make sure they have something that she might like before bringing her.

David's Bridal might be a good place as I think I've seen similar dresses, you could also check the department stores (Macys, sears, nordstrom, jcpenny and so on) I think those places would be a good start.

One grandma wore the dress that she made for my parents wedding 30+ years ago. She is a seamstress and made my mom's wedding dress also. The dress still fit! My other grandma wore the dress she wore when my aunt got married about 5-10 years ago. Neither of them wanted new dresses. My mom's mom said with her VERY heavy italian accent "I fixed the dress from your wedding either I wear it at the wedding in April or you can bury me in it. Either way I will use it" She's so funny!
  • Options
    RebeccaW2010RebeccaW2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    maybe try a department store?  Macys, lord and taylor, or Nordstroms usually have some really nice pieces.  Maybe you guys can try looking online first at stuff and/or ordering some things so she can try them at home too?  My mom and I are probably taking her mom shopping to one of those department stores for her outfit, but i think she will wind up doing nice pants with one of those cute jackets/shirt things just for comfort, etc.  my other gma is in a wheelchair and needs assistance so a dress is not in her future. 

Alot of department stores have great things for not so expensive too.  They  may have some really good sales too!!  GOod luck sounds like a really special moment for you guys!!

ps congrats on the weigh loss stats!! I do weight watchers and I have the same amoiunt lost too!! Were twins!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I took my grandmother, who is 86 to Lord and Taylor. The dress she got is a bit big but we'll wait until March for her to get it altered.
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    edited December 2011
    I will check out the websites on these. Thanks ladies.

And Congrats Rebecca. I have a weigh in tomorrow. sooo nervous!
  • Options
    smw42smw42 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad you posted this because I'm in the same dilema. Next month I'm taking my gma shopping. This may sound silly but also try Burlington Coat Factory and Steinmart. I saw a ton there the other day.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_dresses-grandma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:278c7a0b-e366-48f7-875f-ec3bac282faaPost:dba22af7-5710-4a45-acec-5980d85117ae">Re: Dresses for Grandma..</a>:
    [QUOTE]My mom's mom said with her VERY heavy italian accent "I fixed the dress from your wedding either I wear it at the wedding in April or you can bury me in it. Either way I will use it" She's so funny!
    Posted by Laurms15[/QUOTE]

DH's grandma's actually had the SAME dress in different colors....each not knowing that the other one bought it...

and his paternal grandmother passed away almost exactly a year after our wedding...when his aunt was dressing her for the wedding, G-ma asked to be burried in that gown....and well...she was :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards