New Jersey
Options

Flip flops/suit jackets blah blah

My wedding is a beach wedding in Long Branch and my bridesmaids are wearing knee length dresses and these flip flops I ordered which are fancy because they have a really nice starfish on them.  My FI's men are going to be in tan suits.  Now he's telling me that if the girls are going to be in flip flops - he feels the men shouldn't have to wear suit jackets. I want him to be happy with the end result..but feel like taking off the suit jacket makes it too casual.My compromise is they wear the jackets for the ceremony and pics - and then I don't care what they do afterwards.   Do you think my bridesmaids in flip flops is "too casual" even though they're fancy?  What are your all thoughts on this?

Re: Flip flops/suit jackets blah blah

• Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i dont think the boys need jackets.  my friends had a beach wedding.  she was in a very simple white dress with white flip flops and he wore tan linen pants, a white button up untucked, and khaki flip flops.  they looked fabulous and comfortable and it fit the beach. 

if you want more formal, then i agree you need to keep the suits.  it's just if i had a beach wedding the whole point would to NOT be formal! 

if the girls are in the sand, you can't really wear heels, period.  if they are not, and you want to stay formal, get them in shoes and ditch the flops so everyone is on the same page.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I dont think a starfish on them makes them fancy, they are still flip flops
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I personally like to see men in jackets for weddings. Even more casual ones. But that's personal preference ... I know people who just wore khakis and white button-up shirts and it looked fine.

It's your FI's wedding, too, so if he really doesn't want the guys in jackets then I think you need to at least hear him out. He should pick the guys' attire and you should pick the girls' attire. I would talk to him and see if he would really like to ditch the jackets, or if he just feels strongly about the girls wearing flip-flops.

Ditto Allie that girls really can't wear any shoes on the beach, except maybe the flip-flops. I wonder if your FI is aware of that. I'd just remind him that heels are impossible to walk in on the beach. Maybe compromise by asking them to wear heels for any non-beach formal pics?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]Maybe compromise by asking them to wear heels for any non-beach formal pics?
    Posted by mbcdefg[/QUOTE]

i like this.  flip flops for sand only.  shoes/heels once you hit land. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    l would totally be cool with that.  It's the heels in sand thing that aint gonna work. 
    It's hard - we're trying to strike a nice balance between - casual...and fancy...  it's definitly not a black tie affair, but I don't want people in bermuda shorts either.

Here are the flips flops...

• Options
    edited December 2011

I attended a beach ceremony recently and the bridesmaids and groomsmen wore flip flops for the ceremony portion and then the girls had the option to change into heels for the reception if they wanted to. They also wore gowns so you couldn't really tell either way.
    Is FI only issue the jackets or would having the guys wear flip flops make him feel better(if they aren't already doing so)?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    cute flops, but not fancy.  i'd switch into more formal shoes (if you can even see them?  i assume dresses are short or tea?) if you want the boys in jackets and have a more formal look for pictures.  if you don't care what the girls do, then just let FI decide what he wants and go with it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     i agree. flip flops are not fancy no matter how much bling you put on them. I think you can deal without the jackets. It's one thing to want a formal wedding, but who is ever formal at the beach? I love the idea of a beach wedding, don't get me wrong, but I think there's already a certain element of casual - why not just let your FI and his guys be comfortable?
  • Options
    DS0305DS0305 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To me, any beach wedding is casual not formal.  And there's no type of flip flop that can be described as formal.  Since it is your FI's wedding also, I think he should have a say in what the guys wear.  And since it is a beach wedding, they should be able to go with the more casual look with no jackets.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good feedback :)
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone who said the girls should wear the flip flops to the beach, but then whatever heel they want to the actual wedding.

Flip flops really only get so "fancy."
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards