New Jersey
Options

The Palace Prices...are we able to negotiate?

Hello!

We have been looking for venues now and have really fallen for The Palace at Somerset Park...we are going to meet with them on Monday and our only concern is that we really wanted to keep the price about 150 after tax and the service charge.  Right now they have quoted us 135 per head (before SC and tax) for a Friday night and we would really like to get it between 120-125 per head/

We are looking at a Friday night wedding and are curious if any other brides out there (especially Palace brides) have negotiated...we are able to pay cash and dont know if anyone has any advice or feedback on whether what we are looking to attempt on Monday is feasable and any advice on ways to make it happen please let me know!  Is the Palace willing to negotiate price?

Thank you so much in advance...any feedback is truly appreciated! We are so excited and hope we get to book it!

Re: The Palace Prices...are we able to negotiate?

• Options
    I'm not a Palace bride but I did negotiate the per head price with my venue.  After he did his presentation and I saw there were things that I didn't care for or need, I simply looked at him straight and said we are looking to spend $X per person with tax and tip included.  Instead of widdling it down first, I laid it out in the open how much we were looking to spend.  Then I started to offer my suggestions on how to cut so he didn't think we just wanted it all for a lower price.

I think if you're more direct, it helps them know what they have to work with.  Definitely bring up the cash part because I've had other vendors willing to drop the tax if we paid with cash.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hey There :o)
    We looked there about 2 years ago and from what you're listing their prices at, it looks like they have dropped quite a bit. I tend to find that everything is negotiable and anyone that wouldn't negotiate, I didn't really care to do buiness with b/c it tells me that there's no flexibility there and there may be rigity issues with them later on. At The Placae they seemed slightly flexible, but not so much so. It was more of one of those, "well if you guarantee a higher headcount we'll knock off another $5 a head" kindof deals. This may have changed! I am going back about 2 years. I'd go in there with your game face and see what magic you can work ;o)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited July 2012

Hi!  I was married at the Palace on a Friday last September.  TripleJ is right... $135pp is lower than it's been.  We paid $145pp for a minimum of 125 people in the smaller ballroom. 

They wouldn't budge at all (we tried the cash thing too) but they were extremely flexible on everything else.  For example, they waived the $1000 ceremony fee.  They've also thrown in uplighting for other brides (wish I knew this before I found another vendor) and will add stuff to the menu.  We saved $10/head by negotiating for the upgraded seafood bar (my H is addicted and wanted the lobster tails and king crab legs included).  You can also swap out food for other stuff too. 

Definitely try to negotiate.  But also look at upgrades you might like and negotiate for those too... it's easier.  You can also do this closer to your wedding when you select the menu. 

In the end, it's well, well, well worth the cost.  The service was impeccable and the food was outrageous.  H is a foodie and we are both very Italian - this was by far the most important element for us. 

Please PM me if you have any other Qs - I"m happy to help!!  So exciting!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_the-palace-pricesare-we-able-to-negotiate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:3204943e-821f-4799-ae8a-4940cfe5be6aPost:c936b77b-a92e-430d-9318-78116733c27d">The Palace Prices...are we able to negotiate?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello! We have been looking for venues now and have really fallen for The Palace at Somerset Park...we are going to meet with them on Monday and our only concern is that we really wanted to keep the price about 150 after tax and the service charge.  Right now they have quoted us 135 per head (before SC and tax) for a Friday night and we would really like to get it between 120-125 per head/ We are looking at a Friday night wedding and are curious if any other brides out there (especially Palace brides) have negotiated...we are able to pay cash and dont know if anyone has any advice or feedback on whether what we are looking to attempt on Monday is feasable and any advice on ways to make it happen please let me know!  Is the Palace willing to negotiate price? Thank you so much in advance...any feedback is truly appreciated! We are so excited and hope we get to book it!
    Posted by littlekik[/QUOTE]

Check you inbox. I am a Palace bride and sent you a message.
  • Options
    GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker

Me too... sent a message.  :-)

• Options
    The Palace has definitely lowered their prices compared to what they were a few years ago and they do not negotiate much from what I remember. Your better off choosing an "off season" for a lower price.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Sent you a private message :)
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone...this has been super helpful...
    We are meeting Monday and I am definately going to try my best and if not we are already trying to think of "upgrades" to try and get that might be able to justify the extra money...
    Yay!
  • Options
    Hey There! I'm looking to get married at the Palace as well... I would love to know how your negotiation went! 

Anyone ele who got married at the Palace have any suggestions? Would appreciate any info or tips on what to try with the people at the Palace specifically. 

Thanks guys! 
  • Options
    Your review was very helpful. I am strongly considering the Palace for my March 15' wedding. They offered 125 guests, on a Friday at $125/pp if we do not include the desert display. It's the best venue I've visited so I feel the price is fair but I would like more tips?
  • Options

After we had met them they would not budge on price but we really liked the venue.  We ended up writing and saying that we would love to book with them at the current price but added in some upgrades we wanted figuring the worst they could say is no.  We asked for uplighting, an upgrade during the dessert hour, and for both sets of parents to come to the tasting free of charge (50 each otherwise) and they wrote back about a day later and said yes to all three. 

My advice would be to take a chance for an add on or so that you really want.  The worst they can say is no. 

However I do think 125 is a great price!

I hope everything works out for you! Good luck!

PM me if you have any questions

• Options
    tmvg8tmvg8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    rachelbarnettrachelbarnett member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards