New Jersey
Options

engagement party question

Hi, I rarely post but love to read other posts and am a very proud Jersey girl and love that this board is so great!

Our engagement party is coming up and after reading the last post about engagement parties I started to wonder if we should get a card box or something at the party?  We're having it at a restaurant in NYC and while the room is in the back of the restaurant, it's not a closed off private room.  I was just going to ask to have an empty table placed somewhere in the room and have everything get placed there but now I'm worried about just having the enveloped lying on the table.  What are your thoughts?  Thank you for for your advice!
BFP #1 on 10/2/11 - Bambishka's EDD 6/5/12, Blighted Ovum, D&C on 11/9/11
BFP #2 on 2/10/12 - Little Nugget's EDD 10/23/12, Natural Miscarriage on 2/29/12
BFP #3 on 6/7/12 - BB's EDD 2/19/13, arrived 2/18/13! <3<BR> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: engagement party question

• Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I would think that most people would hand you their envelopes at some point, rather than leave them on a table. I would personally just take them and put them in your purse, or ask your mom or FMIL (or someone trustworthy who will have a big purse near them all night) to keep them in her purse.

Or, just take them out to your car and lock them in the trunk.
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldnt do a box.  That screams like give me a gift. I feel like e-parties are more casual celebration.  Most people will just hand them to you.  Maybe get a little bin to put them in behind your seat that people cant see.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would agree with the pp. Most of the guests will most likely hand you the cards/gifts. I think it may be a little awkward to have a gift box. If you don't want to carry a big purse perhaps bring a cute little tote that you can hang on your chair to put everything in or any of the other suggestions listed above.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't have a card box- e-parties aren't for gifts and if you have a card box those that didn't bring anything will feel really awkward,
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the help!  I think I'll go with the tote bag idea since that can go on the back of my chair easily. 
    BFP #2 on 2/10/12 - Little Nugget's EDD 10/23/12, Natural Miscarriage on 2/29/12
    BFP #3 on 6/7/12 - BB's EDD 2/19/13, arrived 2/18/13! <3<BR> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I actually had a card box, it was small and not visible.  that's where I kept the cards with a lock.  Just want to add my e-party was 120 ppl at a hall, hence why we felt it was necessary.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i agree w/ pp:  a box or an empty table screams "we're expecting gifts".  not everyone gives engagement gifts.  if you dont have a specific place for your "unexpected gifts" people will hand them directly to you and you can hide them from view.  i think thats much better and safer since you dont have a private room.

ooh!  what restaurant is it??
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's at Pisticci near the Columbia campus.  It's tucked away so it's an amazing find and we highly recommend it!  I can't wait for the food and to see my family and friends from out of town!  We got our first gift in the mail today and it was very exciting. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards