New Jersey
Options

Need a piano player.. and a piano!

We're getting married in a church and really want music played on a piano - not a big scary organ. Has anyone ever had a piano brought into their ceremony? Do you have to rent them for the day, is it not possible to bring one into a church? Help!

Re: Need a piano player.. and a piano!

• Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2012
    BIg scary organ? 

Are you sure that your church doesn't have a piano?  Many do.  Double check with the music director.

If not, your best bet is to hire a pianist who can bring his/her own digital keyboard, which will give you the sound of a piano.  (Digital keyboards are fully weighted, with pedal action and realistic piano sounds - a good pro will have one.) 

I don't advise renting a piano.  Pianos are notoriously sensitive instruments.  You would have to have it delivered to the church a few days in advance so it could "settle" and then have it tuned the morning of your wedding.  Rental plus tunings equals big bucks.

ETA:  if it turns out your church DOES have a piano, I advise you to ask how often it is tuned.  There is nothing worse than an out of tune piano.  The big scary organ would be better in that case.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    Oh a keyboard would work, duh. And thanks for that reminder about the use of the piano - if they have one. 

Note on the big scary organ - I feel like the sound of a big organ is just sooo overwhelming and heavy as opposed to the light and airy piano sound. And, I always think of the cranky organ from Beauty & The Beast - ha. 

Thanks again
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Also before you hire a pianist, make sure you check your church's rules on outside musicians.  Most churches that have a music director require you to use him/her as your organist/pianist (an organist will also be able to play the piano). If you choose to hire your own person, very often you will still have to pay a "bench fee" for not using their person. 

Also consider a combo of organ and piano.  You might want the majesty of the organ for your processional and recessional and the more subtle sound of the piano for any other service music.  Just a thought.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards