New Jersey
Options

Pets and Weddings

FI and I have an 8 month old cocker spaniel named Diamond (she happened to be born on the day we got engaged.) I really want her to be a part of our wedding day, if anything just for pictures with FI and I at the venue. However, we're not sure how to make it work.
We need to ask our venue if they would allow her to come and stay outdoors with someone (maybe we can hire a dog sitter? ) since we're getting married on the beach. FI thinks we should just board her in a doggie day camp for the day and avoid the hassle.
Do any of you lovely ladies have any ideas? Are any of you having your pets included in your special day?
Here's Diamond:

Photobucket

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Pets and Weddings

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Where are you getting married? The place I normally board my dog at has a "Wedding package" for animals where they board your dog, she gets a bath, and then they transport her with a handeler to your location for photos, or walking down the aisle and then bring her back and board her for you while you party!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    gina613gina613 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My SIL had her chihuahua in her wedding (a historic mansion in Charleston, SC)... they had a cute leesh that matched the colors and whatnot... I forget who walked the dog down the aisle, but one of the groomsmen held her on the leesh/in his arms during the ceremony. Then they had her in a few wedding photos. Someone took the dog home because it wasn't present at the reception. I also saw photo's from a coworker's wedding where she had photos of her holding the cat while getting her hair/makeup done... and some great pics of just the cat.

Even if you just have your photog take some shots of Diamond, it would be a really special memory :) Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    xanabelaxanabela member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at Windows on the Water in Sea Bright. That package sounds amazing. Where is that doggie day camp?

Gina - yeah, i totally agree - it would be really sweet to include her on one of the most important days of our lives. I like the leash idea - that's really cute. Yeah, even if we only have her in pictures and not part of the ceremony - that would be ok.. I just want there to be "evidence" that she was there so one day we look back at our pictures and enjoy knowing she was part of our family and special day.

Thanks girls :]
    Photobucket

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Gorgeous dog :)

I think it's important to remember that your dog may act a lot different in your wedding environment (new place, lots of people, having to be on her very best behavior) than she acts in your home and around your friends. So things might be stressful on her and she may act accordingly if she's uncomfortable - bark, poop/pee, snap at people, etc. Plus you don't want someone letting go of her leash and having her run around or get lost/hurt. And your venue might not even allow a dog.

If you really want to bring her to the wedding, I'd hire a pet sitter to keep a close eye on her, take her away from the ceremony area if she gets rowdy, and bring her right home afterward. That way, someone's attention is 100% on the dog (because if you ask a loved one to help out then they're unable to actually enjoy the wedding).

If it were me, I'd get some nice photos with her while you're getting ready, and use her picture around the reception ... maybe as table numbers or get a little figurine of her as a cake topper.

Our church suggested that we give a gift to the poor during our ceremony, so we made a donation to a local animal shelter in honor of my dog and our cats. I got ready at my parents' house so I made sure to tell the photographer to get photos of me with the family dog because she was such an important part of the family. We actually lost her a few weeks ago, so I especially cherish the pro photos we have of her:

• Options
    xanabelaxanabela member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you! :]  Yeah you're totally right about her behavior possibly changing. It's happened before at a friend's birthday party and there were only about 30 people there.. so I can't imagine with 175..lol  Kalaghanddan mentioned a dog day camp that has a wedding package, so I actually looked it up and there is one not too far from our venue - I am so excited!  I really wish I was getting ready at home, but I live too far north to do so - so this actually works out :]  I love the donation the animal shelter idea - if we end up giving donations in name of our guests as a favor, we will definitely be doing that as one. :]
    Photobucket

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We really wanted our little furbaby to be included in some of our pictures, but didn't want to freak him out by bringing him to the wedding. I'm going to get ready at the hotel and will have him there with me, so he'll be in a bunch of pictures. He is all set with his little bowtie! lol :o)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your Diamond looks like my Hudson :)

My baby (cocker spaniel) is going to a week away from being a year old when we plan to get married...I asked the place but they haven't got back to me so I am guessing that is a NO...but like you I do want him involved with taking pictures with us...I am going to have a trainer take care of him and bring him to us to take pictures...

This is my bundle of joy...Born on December 9th...the planned wedding date: December 3rd.

• Options
    cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Your dog is adorable! I have to say though, I'd be terrified that the dog might jump up and get dirt on my dress, slober on it or possibly rip it.. especially if it was going to be kept out doors for part of the time. Unless it is a small dog that can be kept in a carrier the whole time, I'd skip including the dog in the wedding.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_pets-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:385fad37-df93-430c-8851-371f19ca1e13Post:c67cfe8d-4286-4c15-8961-1d1569efa623">Re: Pets and Weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where are you getting married? The place I normally board my dog at has a "Wedding package" for animals where they board your dog, she gets a bath, and then they transport her with a handeler to your location for photos, or walking down the aisle and then bring her back and board her for you while you party!
    Posted by KALAGHANDDAN[/QUOTE]

<div>That sounds awesome!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards