North Carolina
Options

When did/will yall post engagement announcements in the newspaper?

I'm confused about the appropriate timing for submitting an engagement announcement in your local newspapers? Any tips? I've been engaged since Dec 2011 and the wedding is planned for Nov 2012...

Re: When did/will yall post engagement announcements in the newspaper?

• Options
    I didn't even realize people still did this... we skipped it.  Maybe call the paper you're wanting to submit to an see if they have any guidelines?
  • Options
    We also skipped it. I think normally it's the parents that submit these and well, my parents, while very supportive of our marriage, weren't overly involved with the planning lol. For us, it was a needless cost.

I agree, maybe call your local paper and see what they would recommend or if they know the 'norm'.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'd do it now if you're going to do it.  Usually you'd submit right when you get engaged, unless you're having a very long engagement, then you'd do it in the 1 year-6 months range.  It's only 4 months until November :)

You could also just wait and post a wedding announcement, which would run in the first paper after your wedding. 
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Our newspaper requires that it be submitted at least 4 weeks prior to the wedding date.
  • Options
    Both of us are from small towns and I would say "most" couples submit an announcement around here...I called the newspaper(s) yesterday and they said the announcement would be free (yay! no cost !) and I was welcome to submit it anytime. The Editor also said there wasn't any set time we should submit it, but that most couples around here sent theirs in around this time or a month or two before the wedding. Hope this helps anyone that had the same question as me, thanks for the responses :)
  • Options
    We're in a small town too and this is always standard for weddings around here.  So, I get you!  :-)  I think 6-8 weeks before the wedding would be good.  If the wedding is by invitation only, be sure that you include that in the announcement wording.  In our town, if that is not included, some people just show up. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_when-didwill-yall-post-engagement-announcements-in-the-newspaper?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:4284063e-2925-47de-93ec-50ad0ae48131Post:dc781abf-017d-4f6e-af19-647ad6376297">Re: When did/will yall post engagement announcements in the newspaper?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're in a small town too and this is always standard for weddings around here.  So, I get you!  :-)  I think 6-8 weeks before the wedding would be good.  If the wedding is by invitation only, be sure that you include that in the announcement wording.  In our town, if that is not included, some people just show up. 
    Posted by BridgeFright01[/QUOTE]

Yay! Another small town girl! :) For some reason Miranda Lamberts song about Everybody Dies Famous in a Small Town came to mind LOL! Thanks for the heads up about the wording, I hadn't considered that
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards