New Jersey

transportation/accomodations question

What do you girls think about a school bus for transportation? With no a/c! It is an October wedding. I'm trying to decide between 2 hotels that offer comparable packages but one if sooo much prettier than the other (with the school bus), but the other one has an actual Lakeland bus for transportation and it offers free breakfast. Thoughts would be appreciated!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: transportation/accomodations question

• I would go with whichever hotel you think your guests would be most comfortable in and is more affordable for them. I've never seen a school bus as transportation to a wedding, but if I were a guest at your wedding I would be happy that there was transportation provided so I wouldn't have to worry about driving drunk, I wouldn't care if it was a school bus.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's kind of what I was thinking oxliz. And they actually had pics of the school bus with ribbons hanging on it and writing on the doors and such with those window markers. Pretty cute! We're still looking but it's one of those things we can do now since the date is set, and it doesn't cost us any money so I'm trying to get those sorts of things done.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    I would lean towards the Lakeland bus and free breakfast, unless you are planning to host a breakfast/brunch.

October weather can be unpredictable, and if it happens to be unseasonably warm/hot, I would not want to be a wedding guest riding in a school bus with no A/C.  My wedding was 11/4 and we had the A/C going in the party bus.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_transportationaccomodations-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:47de96a4-670a-44d3-acb8-5bcde7781b29Post:256e7834-bf8d-40b9-abd2-050f98ee2bd6">Re: transportation/accomodations question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would go with whichever hotel you think your guests would be most comfortable in and is more affordable for them. I've never seen a school bus as transportation to a wedding, but if I were a guest at your wedding I would be happy that there was transportation provided so I wouldn't have to worry about driving drunk, I wouldn't care if it was a school bus.
    Posted by oxlizxo[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  Our friends got married last september and used a bus and it was fine.  If people get hot they can put their window down.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I went to a wedding that had a school bus as the shuttle after the reception (idk if that's what took ppl to the reception also, bc I was in the BP), and ppl were so drunk it didn't even seem odd, just funny. 
  • I was thinking of a school bus too for our early October wedding, but someone brought up to be that people might not be happy about putting a window down and messing up their hair if it's hot.  I think they had a good point about some of our high maintenance guests haha, so it might depend on your crowd and the style of the rest of the wedding. 

Regarding the hotel - We chose ours because the bar in the hotel is open till 3am and know that our friends will want to do some after partying.  I wish our hotel offered free breakfast!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_transportationaccomodations-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:47de96a4-670a-44d3-acb8-5bcde7781b29Post:eef4dc61-a5c1-4878-8515-7e5772de058c">Re: transportation/accomodations question</a>:
    [QUOTE] October weather can be unpredictable, and if it happens to be unseasonably warm/hot, I would not want to be a wedding guest riding in a school bus with no A/C.  My wedding was 11/4 and we had the A/C going in the party bus.
    Posted by jcg98[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on how far away the venue is from the hotel. If it's only 5 minutes or so, I think people will survive without A/C, whereas if it's 30mins away and it's a hot day, people might be pretty miserable by time they got there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lconoranlconoran member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Yeah I really am torn. There is a bar in the "nicer" hotel that is open til 2 which is great. The other one doesn't have a bar but we can use the after party room and bring in our own stuff. Here there is the free breakfast so we figured we'd be "saving" there on the breakfast and have to stock the bar/late night munchies.

I am a sweater! I sweat in the winter. It's something that I've come to terms with Lol So honestly, I can totally appreciate a person who is uncomfortable in whatever suit or dress they're wearing and then them sitting on leather seats for 15 minutes with no air, being pissy! But I totally agree that it's mostly important on the ride there because we have alot of boozers coming that wouldn't care if we provided camels as the ride home! Lol We're going to look at one other contender next week so hopefully it'll be the best of all worlds...ah, if only that were the way :o)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The venue is only about 15 min away.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • As I teacher I know school buses are gross and would not subject my guests to one.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_transportationaccomodations-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:47de96a4-670a-44d3-acb8-5bcde7781b29Post:8a4b70d6-aee9-4a54-b122-3d3fec6b1fbf">Re: transportation/accomodations question</a>:
    [QUOTE]As I teacher I know school buses are gross and would not subject my guests to one.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. While I'm not a teacher, we had a similar choice but opted against the hotel with a school bus. Not only is it kind of gross, it's also not the right tone I wanted to set for our wedding. Of course, follow your gut. You have plenty of time to think it over!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    205 invited image
    160 are ready to party image
    45 are missing out image
    0 can't find their mailbox image
    RSVP Deadline: October 1, 2012
  • ive been to about 5 weddings where school buses were used. it wasnt a problem at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards