New Jersey
Options

Average wedding cost NYC area

Last week it came out that the average wedding in the US costs around $27K.  That didn't sound too accurate for our area to me (sounds too low).  This article (LINK) specifically mentions wedding costs in NYC (which are reflected in northern NJ wedding prices in my opinion).  Not surprisingly, NYC is the most expensive city to have a wedding.  Interesting article.
Anniversary

Re: Average wedding cost NYC area

• Options
    Yeah, I scoffed at that article stating that the average wedding costs $27K. Clearly the # of people who participated from the Midwest or other rural areas is much higher than city dwellers. $27K doesn't get you much around here. 

That said, I'm making my wedding for 80 guests work for $15K. So, I guess miracles do happen.
  • Options
    I would agree that 27k doesn't even get you much around here considering some venues costs that for 150 people.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    JanxoJanxo member
    First Comment First Anniversary

When I  heard about that “average” cost, I thought it was a joke.  I don’t think its possible unless you come from a rich family with a large house where you could hold the wedding in your yard.  The cheapest venues will run you over 20k once you add gratuity and tax.

• Options
    I think it's possible, it just depends on how much you want to spend and where you are willing to cut back. Mine is going to come around $15k-17k total, but only for 60ish people...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    JanxoJanxo member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_average-wedding-cost-nyc-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:4a9d8141-47df-43aa-9386-d17a98b27ea0Post:55523d42-4251-4464-9346-2c13f9ef0445">Re: Average wedding cost NYC area</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's possible, it just depends on how much you want to spend and where you are willing to cut back. Mine is going to come around $15k-17k total, but only for 60ish people...
    Posted by oxlizxo[/QUOTE]
    Can I ask what you did to save money?  Im trying to make smart cuts, even little ones any way I can.
  • Options
    I think it's possible too... who knows what it will actually come to the day of, but we are projecting that we'll come in around $27k with about 100 people.  

We looked for a venue a teeny bit south in Middlesex/Mercer border, printed our own invites, did not commit to any photography albums yet, elected to get a base DJ package (we don't need lights and disco balls), selected flowers that were in-season, found local limo/bus companies that might not roll out a red carpet and stock the car with champagne, but will get us from A to B.  We still have a DOC, a string quartet, a full open bar, 3 entree selections, cocktail hour, lots of flowers, and transportation for our guests.  I can't wait!

I think it's the cumulative effect of being a tiny bit conservative for each major vendor category. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I think we were a little lower than that too.  I hand made all my invites, made my own card box, put together all my own favors and I didn't even bother with spending extra money on decorating.  A lot of people spend a ton of money on decorating the ceremony site and reception room whether it be with fancy lights, renting a certain type of linens, extra flowers, expensive centerpieces, wedding programs, ect.  and we didn't do any of that.  To some people that is a priority, but personally I dont think all that is needed.  
    Married April 27th 2012
  • Options
    My wedding cost a bit less than that. And I had a church ceremony, about 120 guests, a really good photographer, a photobooth, a pro makeup artist and hairstylist, fresh floral centerpieces, and a Saturday night reception with a nice cocktail hour, dinner and open bar.

So it can definitely be done without sacrificing a ton, and without having a rich family (we paid for our own wedding) or a backyard wedding. A backyard wedding still isn't that cheap when you think about it, since you'd need to rent chairs and equipment and catering.

We skipped a videographer (we never watch home movies anyway), we had a small bridal party, we took it easy on flowers, we got the basic DJ package, we got simple invites, my veil was ordered online, and we didn't have a lot of those little extras that add up (aisle runner, monogrammed cocktail napkins, giant centerpieces, designer shoes or jewelry).

Just prioritize what you want and don't want. I think a big problem in this area is that a lot of couples think they need to splurge in every category or that they need to have the best of everything, instead of splurging on just a few things that are super-important to them and then learning to say "That'll be good enough" for the categories that they aren't super-interested in. I also think that a lot of people overthink what their guests will notice ("OMG if we don't have lighting everyone will think we're so tacky!") ... guests care about the food and entertainment and if they're comfortable. They don't care what kind of shoes your bridesmaids are wearing.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_average-wedding-cost-nyc-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:4a9d8141-47df-43aa-9386-d17a98b27ea0Post:084da92c-fb5c-44e4-af35-e08b39516f89">Re: Average wedding cost NYC area</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Average wedding cost NYC area : Can I ask what you did to save money?  Im trying to make smart cuts, even little ones any way I can.
    Posted by Janxo[/QUOTE]
    Well, I don't know what she cut, but I can tell you what I did. I found a venue, The Empire Club, that would allow me an 80 minimum and discounted for off season. I stuck with a Saturday, but I let go of open bar (only beer/wine/champagne) and that saved another $8pp. I paid in cash, so I saved tax. We did buffet instead of sit-down.<div>
    </div><div>Our favors are very small. I researched for weeks before picking each vendor. I worked with them to find the best price for our needs. I gave up some luxuries like an album & photobooth. Our ceremony & officiant is free since it's our local church & they don't charge. I did a lot of DIY and purchased my own centerpiece decor at the $1 store, Walmart, thrift stores & garage sales. Friends of the family (professionals) are doing my flowers, so I just pay for the cost. I used a referrral for our photographer & DJ, so great prices. </div><div>
    </div><div>I used Living Social & Groupon to get deals for bridesmaid gifts & Vistaprint for all of our stationary. Shop the web to find the best prices on shoes & using family heirloom jewelry. Using a friend (again, professional) for hair/makeup. Only 1 MOH and 3 groomsmen. Hired a DOC only for that day. Use TK to get vendor referrals & understand expected pricing. </div><div>
    </div><div>I'm sure I forgot some. </div>
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_average-wedding-cost-nyc-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:4a9d8141-47df-43aa-9386-d17a98b27ea0Post:1dede1f1-2d8a-4c5c-9f4e-92cae4aef20d">Re: Average wedding cost NYC area</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I   heard about that “average” cost, I thought it was a joke.   I don’t think its possible unless you come from a rich family with a large house where you could hold the wedding in your yard.  <strong> The cheapest venues will run you over 20k once you add gratuity and tax.</strong>
    Posted by Janxo[/QUOTE]

That depends entirely on how many people you have.  My venue cost roughtly $13K for just under 150 guests.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_average-wedding-cost-nyc-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:4a9d8141-47df-43aa-9386-d17a98b27ea0Post:084da92c-fb5c-44e4-af35-e08b39516f89">Re: Average wedding cost NYC area</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Average wedding cost NYC area : Can I ask what you did to save money?  Im trying to make smart cuts, even little ones any way I can.
    Posted by Janxo[/QUOTE]

Mostly it's just luck and a relatively small guest list, under 80 people and we only expect about 60-65 to show up.
    My FH works for a photo/video studio as a videographer/video editor, so I got a huge discount there. Our venue also gave us a huge discount because we booked so close to the date (Dec 2011 for a May 2012 wedding) and because they messed up and told us April 15 was available when it really wasn't, so we ended up booking in May (which is so much better for us anyways!)
    Printed the envelopes from my computer instead of using a calligrapher is also something I did to save money.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    miracles more than happen...my wedding planner is doing my wedding for $10,000 for 100 people and the whole shebang in NYC. iam so lucky i found her because i thought i was going to have my wedding in a back yard!, apparently she is the only budget wedding planner in the industry....amen to that! 

if any of you need help give her a buzz she may be able to help

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards