New Jersey
Options

Booked DOC-Update

Update: I booked my DOC!! I feel so good about this and she is actually starting weeks prior! We have so many elements to our wedding and we definitely needed someone to take charge! I highly recommend getting one!  
*~* Live, Laugh, Love *~*

Re: Booked DOC-Update

• Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_doc-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:4dbca275-ae4b-491f-b2d9-4e70e2e88ca1Post:ca33a1ab-3448-4294-87d7-2bd79b6362e6">DOC??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anyone using one and how much are you paying?  I'm talking to one now and leaning toward hiring her, just want to see what quotes everyone else is paying. Mine was $1500 for unlimited communication, 150 guests, 10-12 hours, 1 coordinator and two assistants and so much more to list. 
    Posted by Soon2BeMrsPugh[/QUOTE]

We didn't use a DOC.  Didn't really see the point.  We had a coordinator from the venue that helped us with certain things (set out the favors, centerpieces), so I'm not sure a DOC would've benefited us.  I didn't even have a formal, printed day of schedule.  We also had a small bridal party and didn't have any DIY.....so I really think that helped too.  Our day ran smoothly and flawlessly.

I honestly think a DOC is the wedding industry trying to suck more money out of the bride.  What exactly are you getting with a DOC that you don't think you'll be able to handle the day of?
  • Options
    GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited January 2013
    PPs are right - with a good venue a DOC isn't a must-have.  But it is a really great nice-to-have!  Here's the difference - the maitre d' and/or event coordinator at the venue operates on the behalf of the venue.  The DOC operates on your behalf. 

For me, I didn't want anyone (me, my mom, etc.) to be bothered with any questions from the venue or vendors.  I wanted my family to be guests at our wedding and not run errands or be responsible for tasks.  Our DOC was fantastic and helped me with so much more than setting up the event. 

For example, in the months prior, she provided vendor recommendations and was someone I could bounce ideas off of.  Then she helped with all the things that went wrong... Hurricane Irene destroyed our furniture rental place, so she scouted out and rented replacement furniture.  She called every vendor and created a contingency plan (for a hurricane that was looming).  She took every vendor call during the final month before the wedding.  She ordered, managed and ironed all of our linens.  She called AAA when my car got a flat tire at the venue.  The venue ran out of our signature drink mixer and she handled that.  She managed all the vendors, checks, gratuities, etc.  The list goes on and on.  Could my mom have managed these things?  Sure. 

Also, I paid around what you were quoted, but there are other DOCs out there for less.  You should talk to a few and see who you click with.  Good luck! 
  • Options
    Interestingly enough, our church explicitly bans wedding coordinators from being part of/attending the church ceremony. They said have one for the reception if you want, but they can't come to the church.

We weren't planning on using one anyway, but I thought it was interesting.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• Options
    I never found the need for one.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_doc-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:4dbca275-ae4b-491f-b2d9-4e70e2e88ca1Post:06245183-0994-4a8c-ba6d-92a87ffb240e">Re: DOC??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to DOC?? : We didn't use a DOC.  Didn't really see the point.  We had a coordinator from the venue that helped us with certain things (set out the favors, centerpieces), so I'm not sure a DOC would've benefited us.  I didn't even have a formal, printed day of schedule.  We also had a small bridal party and didn't have any DIY.....so I really think that helped too.  Our day ran smoothly and flawlessly. I honestly think a DOC is the wedding industry trying to suck more money out of the bride.  What exactly are you getting with a DOC that you don't think you'll be able to handle the day of?
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Wow! If you feel that way, why not just get married at the JOP?? But you didn't though. The way I see it, if you have it to spend to make you life a little bit easier, spend it. If you don't, don't complain about it and say someone's just wanting to get more money. You don't have to use it. Nothing you do for a wedding is important, except the officiant. I have friends in the wedding industry, just rubs me the wrong way, when I hear things like that. Most of these wedding wouldn't be half as nice if it weren't for the wedding professionals doing a great job. </div><div>
    </div><div> And honestly, I don't want to deal with anything the day of. I refuse to set up a table, talk to vendors, I wll be relaxing with my girls and sipping wine. It's a matter of not WANTING to handle anything. I will not be running around like a chicken with it's head cut off and  I will not let any of my guests work on my wedding day either. </div><div>
    </div><div>But this is what I'll be getting: </div><div>Timeline Creation</div><div>10-12 hours of on-site coordination</div><div>1 coordinator 2 assistants</div><div>Personal Bridal Assistant</div><div>Set-up/Breakdown</div><div>Vendor Mangement</div><div>Personal Concierge Services</div><div>3 in person meetings
    Unlimited email and phone</div><div>After Reception Hotel Suite Set-up</div>
  • Options
    I agree. I hired a DOC today too. Mine doesn't have 2 assistants but she is 1/3 the price of yours so I can't complain. She is providing: Day of timeline 10 hours assistance onsite day of 2 meetings Unlimited email/phone correspondence Communication with vendors the week of All money/cash management day of Making sure ceremony and reception space is set up correctly Making sure everyone including vendors is on time Helping with rehearsal and with bridal party Wedding emergency kit
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_doc-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:4dbca275-ae4b-491f-b2d9-4e70e2e88ca1Post:a4d23bf7-d74a-4455-8ec0-9792e7e58cc3">Re: DOC??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: DOC?? : Wow! If you feel that way, why not just get married at the JOP?? But you didn't though. The way I see it, if you have it to spend to make you life a little bit easier, spend it. If you don't, don't complain about it and say someone's just wanting to get more money. You don't have to use it. Nothing you do for a wedding is important, except the officiant. I have friends in the wedding industry, just rubs me the wrong way, when I hear things like that. Most of these wedding wouldn't be half as nice if it weren't for the wedding professionals doing a great job.   And honestly, I don't want to deal with anything the day of. I refuse to set up a table, talk to vendors, I wll be relaxing with my girls and sipping wine. It's a matter of not WANTING to handle anything. I will not be running around like a chicken with it's head cut off and  I will not let any of my guests work on my wedding day either.  But this is what I'll be getting:  Timeline Creation 10-12 hours of on-site coordination 1 coordinator 2 assistants Personal Bridal Assistant Set-up/Breakdown Vendor Mangement Personal Concierge Services 3 in person meetings Unlimited email and phone After Reception Hotel Suite Set-up

<div>
    </div><div>Do you mind me asking who you are using?  I'm one of the brides who is on the fence about hiring a DOC...I agree with the previous posters that I don't want to be bothered with anything on my wedding day and I also don't want my mom or MOH being bothered either, it's a day we should all enjoy!  I'm also unsure about spending the money on a DOC vs. something else</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was quoted $800 for  DOC - it was a girl I knew from high school.  It included vendor help, rehearsal coordination, vendor coordination on day of, set up/design for all details, floral assistance, cueing for church, paying vendors, 8 hours for day of, walk through, and handling any emergencies.

I ended up not hiring her - as it turned out, one of my cousins is a bridesmaid and has her own production company. She will be providing a lot of assistance with all the details, and will be in contact with the maitre d'. On the day of, she will not physically setting up the details herself, but will be helping coordinate everything beforehand.

I agree that it is an additional expense that is not necessary, but I can see how it could be very helpful.

I am not worried about being "cued" at the church - there is a rehearsal with our pastor to make sure everyone understands the ceremony aspects.  The pastor has more authority for this than a planner, anyway. (Similiar to the previous post saying a DOC is not allowed for the ceremony - I can understand that)

Is $1550 high for one day of work? Probably.  Could it be an expense that will put your  mind at ease? Probably. Is it necessary? No.

And I have to add, it isn't very nice that you think someone should have gotten married "by the JOP" just because they felt this wasn't a necessary expense and utilized venue assistance instead of a DOC. By default, any wedding details that are not necessary are an additional expense of the industry, making the bride/groom pay more for a wedding than necessary/needed.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_doc-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:4dbca275-ae4b-491f-b2d9-4e70e2e88ca1Post:a4d23bf7-d74a-4455-8ec0-9792e7e58cc3">Re: DOC??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: DOC?? : Wow!<strong> If you feel that way, why not just get married at the JOP??</strong> But you didn't though. T<strong>he way I see it, if you have it to spend to make you life a little bit easier, spend it. </strong>If you don't, <strong>don't complain about it and say someone's just wanting to get more money</strong>. You don't have to use it. Nothing you do for a wedding is important, except the officiant. I have friends in the wedding industry, just rubs me the wrong way, when I hear things like that. Most of these wedding wouldn't be half as nice if it weren't for the wedding professionals doing a great job.   And honestly, I don't want to deal with anything the day of. I refuse to set up a table, talk to vendors, I wll be relaxing with my girls and sipping wine. It's a matter of not WANTING to handle anything. I will not be running around like a chicken with it's head cut off and  I will not let any of my guests work on my wedding day either.  But this is what I'll be getting:  Timeline Creation 10-12 hours of on-site coordination 1 coordinator 2 assistants Personal Bridal Assistant Set-up/Breakdown Vendor Mangement Personal Concierge Services 3 in person meetings Unlimited email and phone After Reception Hotel Suite Set-up

Ummm, why would I get married at the JOP?  I don't quite follow your logic.  I felt that I didn't need a DOC, that's all.  You don't NEED one in order to get married at a venue.  I felt I could handle everything just fine.  And in the end, the venue and professional vendors I worked with and my planning ahead of time reaffirmed my decision. 

But to set the record straight.....I didn't have to set up any tables.  I didn't really have to talk to any vendors (except when I chose to.....I said hi to some of them because I talked to them months before when planning and it was nice to finally meet them or see them again and, you know, be a little friendly) and my guests didn't have to do anything except enjoy the day. 

I certainly didn't have to run around like a chicken with its head cut off.   In fact, I'd say I had a pretty stressfree wedding.  And this is coming from someone who had to reschedule the entire wedding due to Hurricane Sandy.  We had a fabulous day and I can't say I wish anything were different.

And, we definitely had the money to spend on one.  But why we would spend it on a DOC just because we had the money when we felt it was unnecessary?  Do you go around spending money on things that you feel you don't need just because you have the money?  We put that money towards our honeymoon in Bora Bora instead.  Now THAT was worth it to us!

I understand that some people have more setup, catered food, etc and a DOC may come in handy....I just don't think it's a necessity for everyone. The wedding industry is keen on telling brides they need to buy everything.  And lastly, this is a public forum and therefore I'm free to express my opinions or complaints even if you don't like them.  :D
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_doc-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:4dbca275-ae4b-491f-b2d9-4e70e2e88ca1Post:d5c4f897-df47-491f-b8a7-aaa2f9fc50b0">Re: DOC??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: DOC?? : Ummm, why would I get married at the JOP?  I don't quite follow your logic.  I felt that I didn't need a DOC, that's all.  You don't NEED one in order to get married at a venue.  I felt I could handle everything just fine.  And in the end, the venue and professional vendors I worked with and my planning ahead of time reaffirmed my decision.  But to set the record straight.....I didn't have to set up any tables.  I didn't really have to talk to any vendors (except when I chose to.....I said hi to some of them because I talked to them months before when planning and it was nice to finally meet them or see them again and, you know, be a little friendly) and my guests didn't have to do anything except enjoy the day.  I certainly didn't have to run around like a chicken with its head cut off.   In fact, I'd say I had a pretty stressfree wedding.  And this is coming from someone who had to reschedule the entire wedding due to Hurricane Sandy.  We had a fabulous day and I can't say I wish anything were different. And, we definitely had the money to spend on one.  But why we would spend it on a DOC just because we had the money when we felt it was unnecessary?  Do you go around spending money on things that you feel you don't need just because you have the money?  We put that money towards our honeymoon in Bora Bora instead.  Now THAT was worth it to us! I understand that some people have more setup, catered food, etc and a DOC may come in handy....I just don't think it's a necessity for everyone. The wedding industry is keen on telling brides they need to buy everything.  And lastly, this is a public forum and therefore I'm free to express my opinions or complaints even if you don't like them.  :D
    </div><div>Of course you are, never said you weren't, and I am free to express mine! :) 

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_doc-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:4dbca275-ae4b-491f-b2d9-4e70e2e88ca1Post:da1b9cd1-532b-48d3-9fd3-5e13f4c38011">Re: DOC??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was quoted $800 for  DOC - it was a girl I knew from high school.  It included vendor help, rehearsal coordination, vendor coordination on day of, set up/design for all details, floral assistance, cueing for church, paying vendors, 8 hours for day of, walk through, and handling any emergencies. I ended up not hiring her - as it turned out, one of my cousins is a bridesmaid and has her own production company. She will be providing a lot of assistance with all the details, and will be in contact with the maitre d'. On the day of, she will not physically setting up the details herself, but will be helping coordinate everything beforehand. I agree that it is an additional expense that is not necessary, but I can see how it could be very helpful. I am not worried about being "cued" at the church - there is a rehearsal with our pastor to make sure everyone understands the ceremony aspects.  The pastor has more authority for this than a planner, anyway. (Similiar to the previous post saying a DOC is not allowed for the ceremony - I can understand that) Is $1550 high for one day of work? Probably.  Could it be an expense that will put your  mind at ease? Probably. Is it necessary? No. And I have to add, it isn't very nice that you think someone should have gotten married "by the JOP" just because they felt this wasn't a necessary expense and utilized venue assistance instead of a DOC. By default, any wedding details that are not necessary are an additional expense of the industry, making the bride/groom pay more for a wedding than necessary/needed.  
    Posted by SewInLoveWithDMB[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>What you deem un-necessary and what I do, may be two different things. And it wasn't about whether they thought having a DOC was a necessity. It was the comment, "just the wedding industry trying to suck more money out of the bride." But, to each there own. 

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_doc-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:4dbca275-ae4b-491f-b2d9-4e70e2e88ca1Post:e72897ee-125e-4f5f-b46c-6fd9aaedda2d">Re: DOC??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: DOC?? : Of course you are, <strong>never said you weren't</strong>, and I am free to express mine! :) 

Actually, you did.  I bolded it in my previous post, but here are your words again:

"The way I see it, if you have it to spend to make you life a little bit easier, spend it. If you don't, <strong>don't complain about it and say someone's just wanting to get more money."
    </strong>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_doc-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:4dbca275-ae4b-491f-b2d9-4e70e2e88ca1Post:c3d11824-ff32-44ed-bcb9-ca99be24b0b8">Re: DOC??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: DOC?? : Actually, you did.  I bolded it in my previous post, but here are your words again: "The way I see it, if you have it to spend to make you life a little bit easier, spend it. If you don't, don't complain about it and say someone's just wanting to get more money."
    OK...</div>
  • Options
    krichards0527krichards0527 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Ahhh I called two places in Morris County and they wanted $1700-$2000 for a DOC. Totally turned me off, but I really want one, but I was looking for under $1000. Other than that, we are looking at ways to sedate my mother the morning of so she doesnt go crazy with the last minute details. Just kidding... Sort of. :)
  • Options
    Wow, my DOC was around the Morris County area and was no where near $1k.
  • Options
    I have one and she is nowhere near 1000 but not located in Morris County she's here in Middlesex County and there's another DOC in Washington, NJ Cindy at All About You Events Mine: Laura at Every Last Detail
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just a tip, it's better to update by posting within your thread, or modifying your OP to include an ETA, rather than erasing and re-writing your OP.  Anyone coming into this thread after the fact will be very confused (although your original OP was quoted so that will provide them context.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_doc-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:4dbca275-ae4b-491f-b2d9-4e70e2e88ca1Post:50ecbf36-1ad5-40c3-8918-3cd5713bb45d">Re: Booked DOC-Update</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ahhh I called two places in Morris County and they wanted $1700-$2000 for a DOC. Totally turned me off, but I really want one, but I was looking for under $1000. Other than that, we are looking at ways to sedate my mother the morning of so she doesnt go crazy with the last minute details. Just kidding... Sort of. :)
    Posted by krichards0527[/QUOTE]

<div>MY DOC has options that start at $650! Send me a message if you want her info. I chose her $1500 package. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards