New Jersey

Donating Hair

mb's post got me in a charitable mood and thinking...

One of my BMs and I are going the week after the wedding and chopping our hair off haha. I did it 2 1/2 years ago and gave it to Locks of Love, but reading things on how much they charge for their wigs etc I just got annoyed and would rather give it to another organization. My hairdresser mentioned there were other places to donate to, and ones that only require 6 inches or something.

Anyone did/doing this? Any recommendations on organizations to donate to other than Locks of Love? TIA!

*~allie~*

Re: Donating Hair

• edited December 2011
    There is the Pantene Great Lengths Program as well.  I want to do this after the wedding too. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I did the Locks of Love thing maybe 5 or so years ago. So I'm no help ;-)
  • edited December 2011
    Ok I just did some research- yes I'm answering my own question haha. Here's a good website for anyone who is interested in some of the different organizations. Looking at this I will probably do the Pantene one- they give them away for free and to anyone, not just children. They also require just 8 inches, not 10/12 like Locks for Love.
    http://www.squidoo.com/donateyourhair/63531692-Donate-To?utm_source=donateyourhair&utm_medium=secondary&utm_campaign=MPL#module8153964
    *~allie~*

• edited December 2011
    I can't wait to do this!! My cousin is getting married in September and I'm a BM so I have to wait a few more months after my wedding to cut it all off. I've never had hair this long before and while my FI loves it, I can't stand it and I can't want to chop it off.

I'd also be interested to know if you can do only 6 inches because if I did 10-12, my hair might be a bit too short after the cut.

ETA- This requires only 8 inches... http://www.childrenwithhairloss.us/our-mission 

Also just read Locks of Love charges like $3k+ for their wigs. WTF?!?!?!?
  • edited December 2011
    I did the Pantene great lengths one a few months ago, and it was great because they only needed 8 inches (I think I donated 10 though).
  • edited December 2011

So I guess I'm not the only one growing my hair out for the wedding? LOL I've been letting it grow for a year and a half, normally it's up to my chin but now it's halfway down my back....I hated it growing in and could not wait to chop it off but now even though I love my hair short I'm worrying I'll regret cutting it off....Does anyone else have these fears? I mean it took so long to grow.....

Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • JulepheniaJulephenia member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mother convinced me to cut my hair last summer, and donate to Locks of Love. My hair is FINALLY back to where I want it (just above my hips). Never, ever again am I letting her tell me what to do with my hair. I never had before, it was a temporary moment of insanity that convinced me.

When I heard what Locks of Love does, I was super, super, super mad. (Not to mention, I never got a thank you note... and I signed up for one.) IF I ever cut my hair again, I'm donating it to City Opera. They will use it to make wigs for performances, and they will pay you for it - tax deductible, no less! Since I work at City Opera some seasons, this really appeals to me. ...Maybe I'd end up wearing my own hair.

I would just be extraordinarily wary of a lot of these "donate" programs, because making wigs is a long, expensive process.
  • edited December 2011
    kathy- IMO knowing how much my hair can change someone's life is well worth chopping it off! When I did the last time it was to my shoulders and everyone loved it. My hair grows fast, so I know even this time I'll let it grow again and cut it etc. I love being able to do something with my hair haha. And, I think change is a good thing. I have friends who have had their hair the same style for 10 years. That's just crazy to me.
    *~allie~*

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_donating-hair-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:56c5f059-f8c5-4803-8e93-da49752bcd9ePost:6c1c8ebd-3be6-49aa-b8fc-b4ef97455373">Re: Donating Hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]kathy- IMO knowing how much my hair can change someone's life is well worth chopping it off! When I did the last time it was to my shoulders and everyone loved it. My hair grows fast, so I know even this time I'll let it grow again and cut it etc. I love being able to do something with my hair haha. And, I think change is a good thing. I have friends who have had their hair the same style for 10 years. That's just crazy to me.
    Posted by akmackay[/QUOTE]

Ha I was one of those people, I had the same bob in varying lengths but never past my shoulders for ever, now that it's long I want to cut it because I always felt sexier with short hair.....but it's cute when I blow it out and put a head band on....I'm getting use to it and I would love to donate to help others but I feel like if I cut it again I will not grown it out, the in between stage killed me LOL
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • felicia220felicia220 member
    edited December 2011
    There is another charity that only requires 6 inches, but what they do is that make hats with a pony tail in the back.  So it just looks like they have hair, without having to wear a wig.  I forgot the name of the organization but I am sure a quick google search will help you find it.  

Years back the charity was featured on Oprah and I thought about doing it but I always did locks of love instead.  
  • edited December 2011
    Short hair (don't have a pic of me with it the shortest, but it was at or above my shoulders) - yes I was far too excited to find a starbucks during my cruise lol

Growing out- eh

Longer hair (it's even longer now- this was taken in October- eek can't wait to get rid of it!- i'm in the middle in blue)

*~allie~*

edited December 2011
    Y'all call that long hair?

Pfft.

:P

(Sorry. I've not had my hair above my shoulderblades since I was 2 years old or so. Frankly, anything above my waist is short to me!)
  • edited December 2011
    julephenia- I can't even imagine having my hair that long. I would seriously rip it out of my head haha. Don't you sit on it??
    *~allie~*

edited December 2011
    Nope! I braid it most days. Yes, if I leave it down, I can get caught, but when I have it down, I just pay attention.

I love it. :D
  • JennM31JennM31 member
    edited December 2011
    All these sites are great. Ill have to remember them after the wedding. Im growing mine out and its driving me nuts. I normally keep my hair just below shoulder length and now it is down mid back. Fi absolutely loves it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards